Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

EnglishTom
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
758 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2017 :  06:47:51  Show Profile  Click to see EnglishTom's MSN Messenger address Send EnglishTom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah31/EnglishTom/rem%20010_zpsfsu6c5uf.jpg
Owa I think I got it, well the pics are here plus a load more stuff, Have looksee lads see if you got any ideas, Cheers E/T

Edited by - EnglishTom on Feb 10 2017 06:50:30
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
8905 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2017 :  16:59:57  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[URL=http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/EnglishTom/media/rem%20010_zpsfsu6c5uf.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
8905 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2017 :  17:03:09  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tom. Simply left click on the box at photobucket on the right side of the screen that says IMG and it will show "copied". Then click on the post in Reloadersnest and whalla. Also if you crop your photos a bit they will not expand the page here so much.
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
8905 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2017 :  17:05:25  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to bet that is an original Remington rolling block that was probably built in .43 Spanish and been rebarrelled and converted to .45-100.
Go to Top of Page

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
3950 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2017 :  19:58:22  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EnglishTom

Just from a shooter aspect, I'd say re- flat black the peep. It is too shiny and bright to shoot well for a peep. Little bottles of flat black sight paint work well on peeps. It is a very minor thing but it makes a big difference at the range.

It looks like a beautiful classic shooter! It looks like an original to me also by the patina and wear on the receiver color case hardening. I hope you load some of the 405HBs light as we discussed and make some holes in paper to feel it out.

Gary

Fine rifles are never really owned.

Edited by - Onondaga on Feb 10 2017 20:18:25
Go to Top of Page

EnglishTom
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
758 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2017 :  05:53:45  Show Profile  Click to see EnglishTom's MSN Messenger address Send EnglishTom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good morning Gentlemen. Shasta, thanks for the tips on posting pics ill be trying again later. Gary, have to agree about the peep, it will be sorted.
Well im happy you guys like my new toy, and the idea its the real thing has really made the sun shine here. Once I have it here ill take some decent pictures as the ones I have don't really show it off, one thing the pictures don't show is the stock, its what I call a Monte Carlo, top rear corner removed and a kind of roll over cheek piece and a very high comb, bit difficult to describe. Now if it does turn out to be a real one im going to bite the bullet and apply for an explosives permit so I can feed her on Swiss 1 1/2 and 405s in moderate amounts lol don't want the old girl going hyper on me
Go to Top of Page

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
3950 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2017 :  06:21:47  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EnglishTom

Originals like that were setup with the stock made for shooting a tall vernier sight at a time in firearms history where match shooting was a very social and popular event. That model was in one of the classes of target match rifles that was very popular in the golden age of American rifles.

That stock will feel real comfortable offhand and Creedmore position, do you see your rifle in Creedmore position? :

http://i.imgur.com/abcuCjO.jpg

I shot woodchucks like that with my old Winchester HiWall target rifle in 25-06. Mine was a custom re-barrel of an original too.

Gary

Edited by - Onondaga on Feb 11 2017 06:27:24
Go to Top of Page

DUSTY NOGGIN
Advanced Member

USA
754 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2017 :  09:45:44  Show Profile Send DUSTY NOGGIN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shastaboat

Tom. Simply left click on the box at photobucket on the right side of the screen that says IMG and it will show "copied". Then click on the post in Reloadersnest and whalla. Also if you crop your photos a bit they will not expand the page here so much.

if you right click on the link that says "direct" indstead of IMG , it will start the image at the left instead of having the link in front of it , so you dont have to scroll to the right to view pic
Go to Top of Page

EnglishTom
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
758 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2017 :  11:49:40  Show Profile  Click to see EnglishTom's MSN Messenger address Send EnglishTom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dusty ill try it.
Hi Gary, haven't tried the Creedmoor style ( we call it the back position here ) But off hand it is very comfortable even with that long heavy barrel, felt good Indian style too. What you say about the custom made stocks seems to hold a lot of credence, when I look at the butt mainly it just don't look machine made if you know what I mean, small things like the butt of the pistol grip seems way longer than it should and more kinda in ya face, like its ment to be there not just a butt end, hope that makes sense,,,, its got a kind of " don't hold me wear me" feel to it,,,,,,,,,, jeeeez am I going flakey.
Tom
Go to Top of Page

EnglishTom
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
758 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2017 :  18:03:49  Show Profile  Click to see EnglishTom's MSN Messenger address Send EnglishTom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I finally got a quote to ship 2 500g tubs of BPI filler ,,,,,,,,,, standard rate £95.84 express rate £102.75 for 2 $8 tubs... needless to say it wont be arriving anytime soon.
Haven't forgotten the pictures Gary,,,,,, its still tied up in red tape
Go to Top of Page

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
3950 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2017 :  22:32:00  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EnglishTom

Well I finally got a quote to ship 2 500g tubs of BPI filler ,,,,,,,,,, standard rate £95.84 express rate £102.75 for 2 $8 tubs... needless to say it wont be arriving anytime soon.
Haven't forgotten the pictures Gary,,,,,, its still tied up in red tape

That is a ridiculous price. Make your own with some HDPE and a coarse drum sander. Locally .... Harborfreight sells a drum sander kit that works on electric hand drills or drill presses, they come with 80 grit and all the drum sizes work fine. $27.99 maybe you have something locally like this drum sander kit:

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-quick-change-sanding-drum-set-35455.html

It is what I have used and works fine. Check the link.

Gary

Edited by - Onondaga on Mar 21 2017 22:34:02
Go to Top of Page

EnglishTom
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
758 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2017 :  01:06:19  Show Profile  Click to see EnglishTom's MSN Messenger address Send EnglishTom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your right Gary, it is but we have this sort of trouble with most things we want to buy from the US. (The best hope we have is Ebayusa, had some great deals there) I guess now you can see why I was looking at reducing case capacity... Ok the diy filler, ive got to give it another try. Yes the drum sanders we can get, however a thought I had was to use orbital sander, reason being I can control the speed and pressure and so keep down any heat that may clump the plastic, plus I have one to hand. I did try using the disc in my lathe but I couldn't catch the dust it was thrown everywhere. with the o/sander I can work in a bucket and so catch all the dust and no mess to clear up.
Ok an idea I had last night so its just an idea,, what about crushed walnut shells. so I did a quick check, if I load 50/50 the w/s weighed in at 29g for a 50g/v. Now my barrel is stamped for a bullet of 530g my moulds throw 405g and 500g. Ok that's close on the upper limit but if I load 60/40 the w/s weigh in at 22g. with a 500g bullet im still well under max weight plus 60g of powder is still a lower load than the 45/70. remember this is a BPSub im loading not smokeless. What do you think.
Tom
Go to Top of Page

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
3950 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2017 :  03:45:31  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tom,"what about crushed walnut shells."

They are a safety concern due to the dense weight. Any filler has to be added to the bullet weight for a total projectile weight when calculating loads and heavy fillers kick very hard too. You are shooting them!

Another homemade filler that works well because it is so light is powdered unflavored dietary food fiber from your pharmacy or health food store with 5% powdered graphite or powdered mica added by weight and blended. However this does draw moisture from the atmosphere as it is a veggie based bio-filler. It can also be mildly compressed. It will not mix with your BP substitute charge when compressed 10% or so. Shoot rounds with this filler in less than a month and protect from moisture in storage and use. Great for short term use, but make some good stuff with 80 grit and HDPE. Check the weight of any filler you use in your loads, it is important for safety and pressure concerns and must be added to the bullet weight for calculations.
Also, with 60 grit, an oscillating sander is pitifully under efficient compared to a 3 inch rotating drum sander or a belt sander on HDPE. A really clean shopvac sucks this stuff very well and a helper is good to run it while you run the sander. You can run the sander in a box too and brush it off over the box for maximum collection.

Gary

Edited by - Onondaga on Mar 22 2017 04:04:50
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06