Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Hunting
 Big game hunting
 Cartridge/Rifle Combo for Medium Range Black Bear.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

jdmorris
Advanced Member

USA
1141 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2013 :  09:35:32  Show Profile Send jdmorris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, this was a great thread that I totally missed. Good Reading for sure. I think the .338 is all you need for any bear but .375s might be just as good if you live in Alaska. Beautiful pictures and great story.
If a 250 grain .375 TTSX won't stay in a bear then a 225 grain .358 prob. won't either.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Rides Alone
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2017 :  14:26:56  Show Profile Send Rides Alone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hunted black bear for fifteen years with an old recurve. We had several exciting moments but really enjoyed the hunt. Whatever you use try to make a good shot.
Go to Top of Page

swampdonkey01
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2017 :  04:27:46  Show Profile Send swampdonkey01 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jdmorris

Wow, this was a great thread that I totally missed. Good Reading for sure. I think the .338 is all you need for any bear but .375s might be just as good if you live in Alaska. Beautiful pictures and great story.
If a 250 grain .375 TTSX won't stay in a bear then a 225 grain .358 prob. won't either.

Jim

I've lived in Alaska since 8/88 and we've killed a proverbial dumptruck load of black bears. I've used a 338WM from day 1 up till 2yrs ago. I changed to a 300RUM just too try something different.
Anyways, Polar bear and Musk Ox are literally the only things that I have not killed up here. The 338WM pumping out 250gr Nosler PT ain't no joke. That recipe is a stone cold killer on everything. Of all of the shots taken, I'd say that 90% or better were drop 'em where they stood. Very few required a second. I've taken sheep at 410, booner 'bou at 460, moose out too 250, and deer at 350 with it. Bang, fall over, go get 'em.
If I hunted Kodiak alot or the Ak Penn., then I could see where packing a 375 would come into play due to the numbers of big bears and the frequency of running into them, but still, a bigger gun is not required. I've hunted both places with the 338 and NEVER felt under gunned.
Now granted, the only "bear situation" that I've ever had never happened while hunting. While in a campground, I shot an aggressive blackie between the eyes at 7' with a 357magnum S&W revovler..
So, go figure...

Edited by - swampdonkey01 on Mar 10 2017 04:32:50
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06