Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

mikld
Advanced Member

USA
644 Posts

Posted - May 20 2016 :  11:43:09  Show Profile Send mikld a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's unwise to argue w/Mr. Guffy. It will just frustrate you and he likes it. I think the forum should have a stickie for "Guffyisms". You know, kinda like Yogi Berra's sayings?

Vocatus atque non vocatus, Dues aderit.
At least I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
8893 Posts

Posted - May 20 2016 :  14:49:54  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikld

It's unwise to argue w/Mr. Guffy. It will just frustrate you and he likes it. I think the forum should have a stickie for "Guffyisms". You know, kinda like Yogi Berra's sayings?

Go to Top of Page

F. Guffey
Advanced Member

USA
961 Posts

Posted - May 20 2016 :  15:01:20  Show Profile  Visit F. Guffey's Homepage Send F. Guffey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
You contradict yourself in your won posts while you attempt to insult others.

I won? I place no obligation or responsibility on you to be politically correct and that goes for your spelling and grammar. I should, I know you are good at dishing that stuff out; problem, those that dish that stuff out are not very good at accepting it.

It was said 2,600 +/- a few years ago when the discussion was lost slander becomes the tool of the looser.

F. Guffey
Go to Top of Page

F. Guffey
Advanced Member

USA
961 Posts

Posted - May 20 2016 :  15:31:01  Show Profile  Visit F. Guffey's Homepage Send F. Guffey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reloaders qualify their knowledge base by the number of years they claim they have been reloading. When reading the claims by reloaders on this forum I wonder; what did they learn before the Internet. One more time, I started using vinegar when I could no longer get the old stuff. Again, one more time; I only use vinegar for the worst of cases once for the life of the case and I use it for a maximum of 15 minutes. If I used the old stuff for 15 minutes there would be no case left.

I would not go back to using the old stuff, there was a time I used the old stuff on tools, pots and pans and old waffle irons. And now; I find most of you reloaders that claim to be old reloader never heard of the old stuff.

F. Guffey

When the discussion is over slander becomes the tool of the looser. Socrates

Edited by - F. Guffey on May 20 2016 15:32:51
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
8893 Posts

Posted - May 20 2016 :  15:52:04  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
XXX
Go to Top of Page

F. Guffey
Advanced Member

USA
961 Posts

Posted - May 20 2016 :  16:24:21  Show Profile  Visit F. Guffey's Homepage Send F. Guffey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
You know, kind of like Yogi Berra's sayings?

Yogi Berra Quotes; one of my favorites, the bus stalled on the way to the hotel from the stadium, Yogi got out of the bus and said; “Pop the hood”.

F. Guffey

Edited by - F. Guffey on May 21 2016 11:33:00
Go to Top of Page

Kosh75287
Advanced Member

USA
687 Posts

Posted - May 21 2016 :  13:09:04  Show Profile Send Kosh75287 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<Just watching the verbal bar room brawl>

God bless Jeff Cooper

Carpe SCOTCH!
Go to Top of Page

F. Guffey
Advanced Member

USA
961 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2016 :  10:43:14  Show Profile  Visit F. Guffey's Homepage Send F. Guffey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yogi Berra Quotes; one of my favorites, the bus stalled on the way to the hotel from the stadium, Yogi got out of the bus and said; “Pop the hood”.

And then during an interview after a game Yogi was asked about a streaker; the person doing the interview ask Yogi if it was a male or female streaker? And then Yogi said: "I don't know, the streaker had a sack on their head".

F. Guffey

Edited by - F. Guffey on Sep 26 2016 10:44:58
Go to Top of Page

lightman
Advanced Member

1193 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2016 :  12:14:34  Show Profile Send lightman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are spinning a bore mop in a drill to polish cases, try spinning the case instead. Most cases will chuck up in a 1/2 in drill. Start with 4/0 steel wool and then a soft cloth with some auto/chrome polish. I do this for the cases that I add to my collection, but I use either a Lee or Sinclair case holder for the calibers that I have holders for. This is slow but it works. Maybe you can add a tumbler to your set up sometime soon.
Go to Top of Page

F. Guffey
Advanced Member

USA
961 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2016 :  13:14:38  Show Profile  Visit F. Guffey's Homepage Send F. Guffey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
If you are spinning a bore mop in a drill to polish cases, try spinning the case instead. Most cases will chuck up in a 1/2 in drill

I make case spinners. I spin the case, the big advantage the spinner has is the open has head. A case holder and the Lee Zipidy dodaw covers the case head. When spinning a case in a case spinner the case body, shoulder and case head gets polished when spun. For the worst of cases start with the 3M green scratch pad and then finish with steel wool. And then? Be careful, a case neck that is about to come apart can come apart when spun in the spinner.

F. Guffey

Edited by - F. Guffey on Sep 26 2016 13:20:30
Go to Top of Page

Ireload2

USA
254 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2017 :  19:31:08  Show Profile Send Ireload2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is right it is a physics thing.
The vinegar cleaned brass turns brown because the acetic acid leaves the surface of the brass active. I have rinsed vinegar cleaned brass with boiling water and it still turns brown.
If you want to avoid brown brass I suggest that you use a solution containing benzotriazole.
If you have any doubts read this web page and article.
Birchwood Casey case cleaner contains this chemical and I have cases that are still bright and clean after 10 years because they were rinsed in the Birchwood product.
https://www.copper.org/publications/pub_list/pdf/a1349.pdf

quote:
Originally posted by Land_Owner

Bare brass, vinegar or citric acid cleaned (LemiShine), that "turns brown in a few months", is tarnish due to relative humidity and un-neutralized acid from the wash. It is a micro-climate and physics thing. After cleaning in acid (vinegar or LemiShine), before drying, re-rinse the brass to neutralize the acid. Dissolve a cup of Baking Soda in a Gallon of Water (or adjust the proportions to suit), add brass, swish for a few minutes, rinse and dry.

To some dry walnut media add either a bottle cap full of brass polish or liquid auto wax (Nu-Finish). Tumble the brass for half to one hour. The thin coat of applied wax will further retard the tarnish. Wax eventually evaporates though so the brass will tarnish again over time. After all, it's a micro-climate and physics thing in the end. Wax alone is not the end game against tarnish, unless you periodically repeat the tumble to add more wax.

For reloading use, the above methods works fine.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06