Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kosh75287
Advanced Member

USA
796 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2017 :  14:05:58  Show Profile Send Kosh75287 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not a machinist, so I'd appreciate some "edgermacation" on the subject: What causes the "chattering" seen in the barrels? Is it from pushing the rifling button through the barrel to fast, or dulling of the rifling button, or both/neither?

God bless Jeff Cooper

Carpe SCOTCH!
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9125 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2017 :  09:50:55  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't claim to be a machinist either but I know when I don't have my tool post and consequently the tool bit set at the right height then chatter can occur. Also if the tool bit is dull, and if I'm not running the lathe at the right speed or the boring bar is too long, if the cut is too deep...mostly I think it is the cut angle and dull tooling.
Go to Top of Page

Kosh75287
Advanced Member

USA
796 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2017 :  18:45:29  Show Profile Send Kosh75287 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I had to look up "boring bar" and "cut angle", and my head is swimming... BUT, I think I MAY start to understand what you said by Monday afternoon.

God bless Jeff Cooper

Carpe SCOTCH!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06