Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Other
 Gunsmither or Rifle Wrecker???
 Best gun oil
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

PaulS
Advanced Member

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2014 :  12:29:33  Show Profile Send PaulS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I might as well add my favorite to the mix here. a little background:
I am a heavy equipment mechanic, a machinist and an industrial safety instructor (now a minister).
The best rust preventive that I have used on equipment, machine tools, and guns is a 50/50 mix of ATF and kerosine. Automatic Transmission Fluid has all the corrosion resistance that you could ask for but it doesn't penetrate well. Kerosine penetrates well and displaces water but doesn't lubricate very well. When you mix the two together You get a great penetrating lubricant that protects against rust. I use WD-40 to remove any surface water and then wipe the surface with a cotton cloth that has the 50/50 mix. Even in the humidity of Seattle and greater Puget sound area I have never had rust problems on machinery or my guns.

If you are going to use Lanolin be sure to get anhydrous Lanolin - otherwise the lanolin will carry water - just like brake fluid and cause rusting unless you mix it with ATF or other corrosion inhibiting oil. Treating metal that has surface rust with Xylene will remove the moisture in the metal and evaporate leaving no moisture behind. You can the treat it with the 50/50 mix of ATF and Kerosine on a cotton cloth and the rust will become a rust barrier - much like bluing on your gun.

Note: some gun oils actually promote corrosion - just be aware and watch for any discoloring of the metal.

reliable reload data comes from powder and bullet manufacturers, not so and so's web page.

NRA life member, SAF, CCRKBA - Join in the process to protect your rights.
Go to Top of Page

KB0VSO
Average Member

USA
125 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2015 :  20:09:12  Show Profile Send KB0VSO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi
over the last 50 years I have tried all the oils including Rem that cost me one big buck

Think about this we oil our $1000 gun and wax our $30000 auto. That did not make sense to me. I now use ICE which you will find in the auto department with the wax.
I have never had a rusty gun problem since no mater how humid it is.

For lubrication I use DuPont chain saver. It is a wax based Teflon. The wax adds another layer of protection and the Teflon lubricates like no oil ever did or can.

To clean all the old oil off I use Dawn soap and hot water. If it works to remove oil from wildlife it will work on your gun.

Larry
Way Up North in Minnesota, USA
Go to Top of Page

KB0VSO
Average Member

USA
125 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2015 :  08:11:58  Show Profile Send KB0VSO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There have been 7678 people have read this. I would bet most if not all are using a oil of some kind and looking for something better. Wax your gun and it will not rust even if you leave it out in a rain storm.

Larry
Way Up North in Minnesota, USA
Go to Top of Page

Rapidrob
Senior Member

USA
443 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2015 :  09:29:32  Show Profile Send Rapidrob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Over the years and living in both desert and the deep south I found two things that work well for stopping outside rust. The first is Boiled linseed oil. You wipe on a thin film and let it dry for 72 hours or more. It is cheap and can be "patched" up with a cleaning patch wet with the oil.
Johnson Paste Wax was second but wears off if in constant contact with you or your cloths. A harder wax like Carnuba will work better but is not cheap to buy.A wood working store will have it.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS
Go to Top of Page

KB0VSO
Average Member

USA
125 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2015 :  11:27:07  Show Profile Send KB0VSO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rapidrob

Over the years and living in both desert and the deep south I found two things that work well for stopping outside rust. The first is Boiled linseed oil. You wipe on a thin film and let it dry for 72 hours or more. It is cheap and can be "patched" up with a cleaning patch wet with the oil.
Johnson Paste Wax was second but wears off if in constant contact with you or your cloths. A harder wax like Carnuba will work better but is not cheap to buy.A wood working store will have it.



A friend wanted me to blue a old dabble barreled shot gun. After some research
I found that before bluing guns were browned. This gun was in that age group
so I browned it and toped it off with Boiled linseed oil it has been a nice wall
hanger ever since.

The reason I use Ice. It is not is a wax and is water thin so it gets into all the small corners, ect. My grandmother used Johnson was on the floor I do not know if they still make it. Ice last a hole year + on my car. Longer on my guns.

Larry
Way Up North in Minnesota, USA
Go to Top of Page

9.5 Vergueiro
New Member

Australia
15 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  17:18:20  Show Profile Send 9.5 Vergueiro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Vernon. As far as oils go, you can't go past Lanolin. The Nordics had it right.
I use a product, made here in Australia, called Lanox. It comes in an aerosol can and is just great. Otherwise get some lanolin cream from the chemist and rub it on. Great for your cracked hands as well.

Cheers. :)
Go to Top of Page

stevo7mm08
Senior Member



New Zealand
273 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  20:06:14  Show Profile Send stevo7mm08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 9.5 Vergueiro

Hi Vernon. As far as oils go, you can't go past Lanolin. The Nordics had it right.
I use a product, made here in Australia, called Lanox. It comes in an aerosol can and is just great. Otherwise get some lanolin cream from the chemist and rub it on. Great for your cracked hands as well.




I've used that as well and it is a good product, another great one is Lanocote made by CRC. Only problem is the ribbing and Sheep jokes your shooting mates give you. Smells like a woolshed!

"No cellphones, no emails, no problems"
Go to Top of Page

9.5 Vergueiro
New Member

Australia
15 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  22:47:07  Show Profile Send 9.5 Vergueiro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevo7mm08

quote:
Originally posted by 9.5 Vergueiro

Hi Vernon. As far as oils go, you can't go past Lanolin. The Nordics had it right.
I use a product, made here in Australia, called Lanox. It comes in an aerosol can and is just great. Otherwise get some lanolin cream from the chemist and rub it on. Great for your cracked hands as well.




I've used that as well and it is a good product, another great one is Lanocote made by CRC. Only problem is the ribbing and Sheep jokes your shooting mates give you. Smells like a woolshed!



That would be no worse than when I shoot my 450-400, using wool wads as filler. I always make sure I'm upwind of the other shooters. Should hear them. Haha.

Cheers. :)
Go to Top of Page

stevo7mm08
Senior Member



New Zealand
273 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2015 :  17:39:19  Show Profile Send stevo7mm08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 9.5 Vergueiro

quote:
Originally posted by stevo7mm08

quote:
Originally posted by 9.5 Vergueiro

Hi Vernon. As far as oils go, you can't go past Lanolin. The Nordics had it right.
I use a product, made here in Australia, called Lanox. It comes in an aerosol can and is just great. Otherwise get some lanolin cream from the chemist and rub it on. Great for your cracked hands as well.




I've used that as well and it is a good product, another great one is Lanocote made by CRC. Only problem is the ribbing and Sheep jokes your shooting mates give you. Smells like a woolshed!



That would be no worse than when I shoot my 450-400, using wool wads as filler. I always make sure I'm upwind of the other shooters. Should hear them. Haha.



Sheep jokes never see, to get old!

"No cellphones, no emails, no problems"
Go to Top of Page

9.5 Vergueiro
New Member

Australia
15 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2015 :  01:25:17  Show Profile Send 9.5 Vergueiro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevo7mm08

quote:
Originally posted by 9.5 Vergueiro

quote:
Originally posted by stevo7mm08

quote:
Originally posted by 9.5 Vergueiro

Hi Vernon. As far as oils go, you can't go past Lanolin. The Nordics had it right.
I use a product, made here in Australia, called Lanox. It comes in an aerosol can and is just great. Otherwise get some lanolin cream from the chemist and rub it on. Great for your cracked hands as well.




I've used that as well and it is a good product, another great one is Lanocote made by CRC. Only problem is the ribbing and Sheep jokes your shooting mates give you. Smells like a woolshed!



That would be no worse than when I shoot my 450-400, using wool wads as filler. I always make sure I'm upwind of the other shooters. Should hear them. Haha.



Sheep jokes never seem to get old!



Unlike the sheep jokers themselves It's in such baaaaad taste.

Cheers. :)
Go to Top of Page

stevo7mm08
Senior Member



New Zealand
273 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2015 :  02:01:14  Show Profile Send stevo7mm08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 9.5 Vergueiro

quote:
Originally posted by stevo7mm08

quote:
Originally posted by 9.5 Vergueiro

quote:
Originally posted by stevo7mm08

[quote]Originally posted by 9.5 Vergueiro

Hi Vernon. As far as oils go, you can't go past Lanolin. The Nordics had it right.
I use a product, made here in Australia, called Lanox. It comes in an aerosol can and is just great. Otherwise get some lanolin cream from the chemist and rub it on. Great for your cracked hands as well.
[/quote


I've used that as well and it is a good product, another great one is Lanocote made by CRC. Only problem is the ribbing and Sheep jokes your shooting mates give you. Smells like a woolshed!




That would be no worse than when I shoot my 450-400, using wool wads as filler. I always make sure I'm upwind of the other shooters. Should hear them. Haha.



Sheep jokes never seem to get old!



Unlike the sheep jokers themselves It's in such baaaaad taste.



I guess most won't get it, but its an Aussie Kiwi thing to rib each over the amount of sheep they have and what goes on in the woolshed. LOL

"No cellphones, no emails, no problems"
Go to Top of Page

Moosegooser
Average Member



USA
89 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2016 :  16:14:49  Show Profile  Visit Moosegooser's Homepage Send Moosegooser a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulS

Well, I might as well add my favorite to the mix here. a little background:
I am a heavy equipment mechanic, a machinist and an industrial safety instructor (now a minister).
The best rust preventive that I have used on equipment, machine tools, and guns is a 50/50 mix of ATF and kerosine. Automatic Transmission Fluid has all the corrosion resistance that you could ask for but it doesn't penetrate well. Kerosine penetrates well and displaces water but doesn't lubricate very well. When you mix the two together You get a great penetrating lubricant that protects against rust. I use WD-40 to remove any surface water and then wipe the surface with a cotton cloth that has the 50/50 mix. Even in the humidity of Seattle and greater Puget sound area I have never had rust problems on machinery or my guns.

If you are going to use Lanolin be sure to get anhydrous Lanolin - otherwise the lanolin will carry water - just like brake fluid and cause rusting unless you mix it with ATF or other corrosion inhibiting oil. Treating metal that has surface rust with Xylene will remove the moisture in the metal and evaporate leaving no moisture behind. You can the treat it with the 50/50 mix of ATF and Kerosine on a cotton cloth and the rust will become a rust barrier - much like bluing on your gun.

Note: some gun oils actually promote corrosion - just be aware and watch for any discoloring of the metal.




You would be a HUGE fan of the following....

Search the net for "Ed's Red....
Wonderful stuff,,,, with lanolin... :)

I am a toolmker by trade. retired after 35 yrs.. I havent purchased store bought gun solvent (except sweets) for 2 decades.. Only use Eds Red...

Eds Red as my preservative/ oil... I use Rigg grease for lugs and hinges..


Edited by - Moosegooser on Jul 10 2016 16:24:36
Go to Top of Page

Moosegooser
Average Member



USA
89 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2016 :  16:28:41  Show Profile  Visit Moosegooser's Homepage Send Moosegooser a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhBAlohxNdc
Go to Top of Page

KB0VSO
Average Member

USA
125 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2017 :  13:00:05  Show Profile Send KB0VSO a Private Message  Reply with Quote


"In our shadowy past" before petroleum products those in the know used Johnson wax

In this new age the people in the know use Dupont Chain saver it is wax based with Teflon.

Larry
Way Up North in Minnesota, USA

Edited by - KB0VSO on Apr 14 2017 13:08:21
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06