Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9125 Posts

Posted - May 26 2017 :  10:25:39  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess it is the difference in hand fitting vs. using a CNC machine. With one method you are an artist and true machinist. With the CNC modern technology you are a computer and machine operator. I'll grant you that the CNC method will produce more consistent products but the hand fitted product does work as it is intended. I'm so happy for you handloaders that are tuned into knowing what everything measures even if in the long run the figures may be irrelevant to the total product.

Edited by - Shastaboat on May 26 2017 10:26:11
Go to Top of Page

Ireload2

USA
286 Posts

Posted - May 26 2017 :  14:51:39  Show Profile Send Ireload2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No you still haven't got it.

What you have you say is "GOOD ENOUGH" but you have no clue what it actually measures.

You are not hand fitting anything because each round can vary due to minor things like the amount of case lube used, the speed that you operate the handle of the press and the dwell time the ram is at the top of the stroke.

If you don't want to know no one can help you. But until you measure you do not know how sloppy your lack of craftsmanship really is. You are just playing the "good enough for my grand pappy" game that you hear from hill billy hand loaders.

Don't give me that artist and true machinist garbage because you are not one of those.
I worked 5 years in machine shops running lathes and mills while getting an engineering degree and then I spent 40 years as a manufacturing engineer. I am responsible for millions of dollars in machined parts and assemblies every year. Don't try to BS me.

quote:
Originally posted by Shastaboat

I guess it is the difference in hand fitting vs. using a CNC machine. With one method you are an artist and true machinist. With the CNC modern technology you are a computer and machine operator. I'll grant you that the CNC method will produce more consistent products but the hand fitted product does work as it is intended. I'm so happy for you handloaders that are tuned into knowing what everything measures even if in the long run the figures may be irrelevant to the total product.

Edited by - Ireload2 on May 26 2017 14:56:58
Go to Top of Page

mtmuley
Advanced Member

USA
1816 Posts

Posted - May 26 2017 :  18:38:48  Show Profile Send mtmuley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shasta, why are you so bitter? mtmuley
Go to Top of Page

magman

73 Posts

Posted - May 27 2017 :  10:35:46  Show Profile Send magman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Midway has a L.E. Wilson Adjustable Case Length Headspace Gauge 7mm Weatherby Magnum & manufacturer's instructions. Get a Go-no-go gauge too!
cheap
fast
good
you only get two of the three.
mm
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9125 Posts

Posted - May 27 2017 :  11:38:30  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If there is no headspace then why do you want to try and measure something that is nonexistent?
Go to Top of Page

Ireload2

USA
286 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2017 :  20:10:41  Show Profile Send Ireload2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are the only one claiming that you have no headspace without the ability to measure that same characteristic.

So the question is how do you know you have no headspace?

quote:

If there is no headspace then why do you want to try and measure something that is nonexistent?

Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9125 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2017 :  20:21:43  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because I set my sizer dies to not set back the fired case shoulders...I do not load to a factory setting but I load for the individual chambers.
Go to Top of Page

Ireload2

USA
286 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2017 :  10:48:50  Show Profile Send Ireload2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You cannot possibly know that because you have zero means to measure the FL sized cases. You have a maximum limit due to the use of your rifle chamber as an acceptance gage. However you can size the cases too short and you will not have a ghost of a chance knowing how short they are.
In addition your cases vary due to variations in speed of sizing, length of dwell at the top of the sizing stroke, and the amount of case lube you use. So within any given lot of brass that you size you have cases that will be a snug fit and cases that have .002 to .003 clearance. And you have no means to tell one case from another.

quote:

Because I set my sizer dies to not set back the fired case shoulders...I do not load to a factory setting but I load for the individual chambers.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06