The Bullet
 Cast Bullets
 Cast bullets and cylinder throats
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gundogblue

20 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2017 :  02:38:50  Show Profile Send gundogblue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
I have a Heritage Rough Rider Bigbore in .45 Colt, the cylinder throats measure
.4525. I also have some Hornaday 255 grn, 454 diameter swagged lead bullets.
I dropped one of the unloaded Hornaday bullets in the cylinder to see how tight they
would fit in the cylinder chamber throat. In order to push the bullet through the cylinder I had to take my cleaning rod and give the bullet a couple of sharp raps with the palm
of my hand. So my question is, is the .454 bullets to big for the cylinder which measures .4525?
Thanks Much
Paul

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
4041 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2017 :  05:48:14  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
gundogblue

If they chamber, they will shoot and size themselves on the way. Lead bullets don't spike pressure like jacketed do as their friction quotient is so much lower. The perfect fit for a revolver with the drop through test is a 1-2 pound push with a pencil to get them through, lighter and heavier BOTH have less accuracy potential. It is not a matter of assigning a number in thousandths, it is the feel of the 2 pound push.
Myself and many cast bullet shooters will custom hone bullet sizing dies to get exactly the 2 pound push fit without taking measurements and use the trial method.

Gary

Fine rifles are never really owned.
Go to Top of Page

gundogblue

20 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2017 :  08:51:01  Show Profile Send gundogblue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gary,
Thanks much for the info, I greatly appriciate it.
Paul
Go to Top of Page

Paul B
Advanced Member

3983 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2017 :  15:52:58  Show Profile Send Paul B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second what Gary sez.
Paul B.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06