Technical Tips and Tactical Bits
 Powder tempature sensitivity
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

DLALLDER

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2017 :  17:37:38  Show Profile Send DLALLDER a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know how to find out the temperature sensitivity of all the rifle powders, that are out there? I know it is not important to a lot of hunters that don't reload. Sure would be good information if you were gonna work up a load say in East Texas for a hunt in Canada in December.

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
3920 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2017 :  19:03:51  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That stuff may be hard to accumulate data on but there is one sure thing that is very inexpensive if you shoot a caliber/bullet combination that works well with IMR4831. The direst volume substitute military powder IMR7383 has better temperature stability by military contract specification than any commercial sporting powder. The stuff is cheap too but it is most effective with heavy for caliber bullets. From the source info:

IMR7383 This is a slow burning stick powder originally used for the Cal. .50
M48A2 Spotter/Tracer round. This is not the same case as that known as
the .50 Browning Machine Gun cartridge. This powder is NOT recommended
for the .50 BMG round. It is a very bulky, single-based powder, composed
of 85% nitrocellulose and 15% stabilizers, flash inhibitors and graphite;
that was developed to replace the IMR4831 powder that was being used.
It has about the same propellant energy as IMR4831 when compared in equal
volume. IMR4831 data can be used. Begin with starting loads, reduced 15%
by weight.
This is new powder, not pulldown.
$65/7# jug

You can order at:
http://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html

Gary

Fine rifles are never really owned.

Edited by - Onondaga on Feb 26 2017 19:05:15
Go to Top of Page

mtmuley
Advanced Member

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2017 :  19:37:44  Show Profile Send mtmuley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Longrangehunting has some info. Do a search there. 24hourcampfire also. The Hodgdon extreme series is said to be fairly stable. The new Alliant powders were developed to be stable. For the most part, at normal hunting ranges, it shouldn't be an issue. mtmuley
Go to Top of Page

Paul B
Advanced Member

3935 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2017 :  12:33:09  Show Profile Send Paul B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do almost all my load work ups during Tucson's very hot summers. I have been known to share a bench at 115*F with a Gila Monster looking for shade. Matter of fact he was a perfect gentleman and we got along just fine.
Seriously, most of my hunting the last 5 or 6 years has been in the Raton New Mexico area on the Vermejo Park ranch elk hunting.
Temps have ranged from near zero to about 30*F and I've seen no problem with powders that have normally been considered temp sensitive. I've used WMR in the .270 and .280 Remington and Re15 in the .35 Whelen. Re15 is purportedly very temp sensitive and when checking my sights at the Whittington center, I saw no change in point of impact from when I sighted in in Tucson. The same went with the .270, .280 and .300 Win. Mag. with the now long discontinued WMR powder. (Winchester Magnum Rifle)
I also saw no problem with W760 in a 30-06 at Raton and it was about 15* above that day. W760 is supposed to be extremely temp sensitive.
It does make me wonder if the problem is real, over exaggerated or what?
I'm probably going to make some changes in powders anyway so I'll probably go with H4350 and H4831 for much of my load work for hunting ammo. Why? Too many people report shifts in POI when it gets cold and whike I have not seen it, why take chances?
Paul B.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06