300 Win Mag Load Development
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ThatGuy
Average Member

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  17:46:11  Show Profile Send ThatGuy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

OK guys, it's been a little while. Been really busy, but I finally have my new rifle and am working up some loads. My goal is three part. The first is to make it accurate. I'd eventually like single hole targets with 10 rounds down range at the 100 and 200. Jagged hole or not, one would be awesome to me Second is to develop a hunting round for white tail deer or possibly elk if we get a chance to hunt in Colorado next year. Third, I will eventually want to try my hand at some distance stuff, say reach out past 1000 or 1500, just whatever I can do.

So far, here's what I have: I have SMKs in 180 and 190 grain. I have CCI Magnum Large Rifle Primers. The brass is new Hornady. And I'm using Hodgdon H1000 powder. The hunting projectiles I have are Nosler BTs 180 grain (for now).

The rifle is a Remington 700 Long range, had the barrel threaded and added a Precision Armament M4-72 brake, have had the trigger replaced with a 2.4 lb custom trigger.

I've measured for COAL using the Hornady COAL gauge and am initially loading these 20 thousandths off the lands. I'm not crimping. And I've managed to get pretty good groups, less than 1 inch at 100 yards, some rounds touching.

So, I guess what I'm wondering is if you guys have any magic hints before I start down a wrong road or do you think I'm headed in the right direction. Have you had better luck with the 180gr or 190 gr SMKs? Do the CCI primers work best for you or do you prefer federal etc etc etc. Those are the types of tips I'm really wanting, just some experienced feedback since I'm new to this caliber. BTW I'm looking at 210 or 220 gr SMKs for my distance rounds for targets (1000 + yards). Also, my barrel is the stock barrel that came with the Rifle, it's the 700 Long Range, 26 inch heavy barrel, 1 in 10 twist. I haven't had the action blue printed yet, but that's on the agenda soon. Anyway, feedback welcome!

Semper Fi

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2761 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  18:03:04  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use CCI primers almost exclusively. They do very good for me with most of my loads.

BUT, H1000 is a very slow powder and you might want to try Winchester or Federal primers. They are some what "hotter".

For my larger calibers, I like the 2 that I mentioned as the primers have a lot of powder to light up.

Reloader 26 works purty damn good with the heavier bullets in the 300 Win Mag too. You might consider it.
Go to Top of Page

ThatGuy
Average Member

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  18:33:37  Show Profile Send ThatGuy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WonderMan4

I use CCI primers almost exclusively. They do very good for me with most of my loads.

BUT, H1000 is a very slow powder and you might want to try Winchester or Federal primers. They are some what "hotter".

For my larger calibers, I like the 2 that I mentioned as the primers have a lot of powder to light up.

Reloader 26 works purty damn good with the heavier bullets in the 300 Win Mag too. You might consider it.

Thanks brother! I was thinking about trying some Federal primers, just for that reason. One of my really good friends uses RL23 and RL26 for his RUM. I was wanting to use this H1000 because they say it's pretty stable temp wise, and good Lord, down here in the South, it can be hot one day and cold the next lol

Semper Fi
Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2761 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  22:58:19  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RL 23 & 26 were developed expressly for their temp stability plus they cut down on copper fouling quite a bit.

H1000 is a very good powder, so if you got it, might as well use it.

I know what ya mean about the southern weather. A couple of weeks ago it was 16-19 in the mornings then two days later it was back in the middle 70s. Drives me nuts 'cause I enjoy winter.
Go to Top of Page

ThatGuy
Average Member

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2017 :  01:02:12  Show Profile Send ThatGuy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WonderMan4

RL 23 & 26 were developed expressly for their temp stability plus they cut down on copper fouling quite a bit.

H1000 is a very good powder, so if you got it, might as well use it.

I know what ya mean about the southern weather. A couple of weeks ago it was 16-19 in the mornings then two days later it was back in the middle 70s. Drives me nuts 'cause I enjoy winter.

I know man. Me and the wife went up to a little town about an hour up the road in the mountains called Mentone, AL. That weekend it dropped to the single digits up there at night and the next week it was back up in the 70s where we live. I'll try some RL26 next. A couple buddies of mine that shoot distance swear by it. Thanks again brother.

Semper Fi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06