Handgun Reloading&Hunting
 Bullets
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

daveslawson

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  06:52:22  Show Profile Send daveslawson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone ever use red river cast bullets? Are they any good? Picked up some for .38/.357 but haven't loaded any yet. Thanks. 158grain.

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
8829 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  12:45:59  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave, aren't you casting your own yet?
Go to Top of Page

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
3920 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  04:18:54  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
daveslawson

Don't buy a lot of any new cast bullet. It only takes one inked bullet dummy load drop test to see if they fit your firearm and if you show no smeared ink on the front driving band and the round drops all the way in, they are too small for your firearm, will lead up your firearm and shoot all over the place. It takes a 1-2 pound finger push to fully chamber a cast bullet dummy load that REALLY fits right. Fit matters more than anything else shooting cast and it drives away more cast shooters than anything else.

Gary

Fine rifles are never really owned.

Edited by - Onondaga on Jan 05 2017 04:22:41
Go to Top of Page

daveslawson

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  10:55:15  Show Profile Send daveslawson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not casting my own yet. A friend sold me 500 of these red river 158 grain bullets. I hit one with a hammer and it smashes pretty easy. Unlike the SNS hard cast which you can hammer all day on.
I really don't want to waste the time loading the red rivers if they are junk. I have tried contacting the company but getting no response.
I just thought some of you guys would have an answer. I will just continue to buy SNS. They work just great, and throw the red river bullets away. Thanks again. Dave
Go to Top of Page

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
3920 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  11:35:36  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
daveslawson

It is not a matter of assuming that the bullets are junk or not. It is a simple matter of fit. Test the fit with an inked bullet dummy load.

38/357 recommended cast loads with a 158 gr are not high pressure loads requiring a hard alloy. The pressure of the load determines the alloy strength needed.

Fine rifles are never really owned.
Go to Top of Page

gwpercle
Average Member

USA
80 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2017 :  19:16:08  Show Profile Send gwpercle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually in 38 softer is to be preferred. Hard bullets are hyped up way too much.
A softer bullet that fits the bore properly will not lead.
Try them....you just might be surprised at how well they shoot.
Gary

Certified Cajun
Go to Top of Page

mikld
Advanced Member

USA
634 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2017 :  15:40:30  Show Profile Send mikld a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd just measure them to make sure they are consistent and fit my gun (for revolver, same diameter as the cylinder throats). Mebbe weigh a bunch to see if they are consistent weights. The the proof is n the puddin', load and shoot 'em...

Vocatus atque non vocatus, Dues aderit.
At least I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Go to Top of Page

bk63

22 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2017 :  20:38:54  Show Profile Send bk63 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hard cast is just too cheap for me to spend that kind of time looking for lead and making my own. I spend a lot of time as it is loadng and shooting. I buy all my cast from SNS or Missouri Bullet. They have good stuff at good prices and it's pretty hard cast. No leading in my guns but then I've been loading and shooting a lot of years and know what works. For those that have the time and sources for lead, more power to ya. It's a great hobby. My dad used to do it many years ago.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06