Introduction,and first question.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Moosegooser
Average Member

USA
89 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  12:02:53  Show Profile  Visit Moosegooser's Homepage Send Moosegooser a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hello! I go by Moosegooser. I have browsd this forum for quite sometime and really enjoy the group of people here. I am old as dirt. I like to occasionally shoot rifles, but my main vice is training Labradors,and woodwork. I have a question that will prolly be on the stupid side, but here goes.

Working a load up for a 7mm-08. I am experimenting with Varget. I started with 42 grains, increasing 1/2 grain increments up to 44 grains. I loaded 5 rounds in each load. all bullets were the same, all seated .010 off the rifling lands. same primer, same brass.

Starting with the 42 grains, I shot 2" group at 100 yrds, each 1/2 grain increment basically shot approx. same size group,some a bit larger. I let rifle cool between each 5 shot group, and cleaned the barrel before moving to next load. I also fired a fouling shot before I shot my groups.

When I got to the 44 grain load, my group went from Approx 2" all the way down to 1/2 inch (.546)

My question. Is this common? I was surprised that the rounds that held 42 to 43.5 grains grouped so poorly, then out of the blue, with just 1/2 grain increment, the group shrunk drastically. My first 3 shots,basically went into the same hole, but the last 2 shots opened up the group very slightly.

I was very confident of my rest, and trigger pull.

Thnks in advance.

Gooser

curly

Canada
3232 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  14:21:23  Show Profile Send curly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gooser; Welcome to the "nest".....The late Bob Hagel addressed this finding many years ago....Most high intensity cartridges have an optimum charge weight at or near the maximum load for given powder...

I would stick with the load you have...

Curly

PS; You did not mention what type or weight of bullet...
Go to Top of Page

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
4034 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  14:58:39  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Moosegooser

I'd call what you did, "doing well"

Gary

Fine rifles are never really owned.
Go to Top of Page

Moosegooser
Average Member

USA
89 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  19:54:59  Show Profile  Visit Moosegooser's Homepage Send Moosegooser a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bullet is Sierra Game King 140grain, Spitzer Boat Tail.
Rifle is Remington Model Seven, with a new 22" Stainless Douglas air gauged barrel.

Edited by - Moosegooser on Sep 04 2015 19:58:37
Go to Top of Page

Moosegooser
Average Member

USA
89 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  20:04:32  Show Profile  Visit Moosegooser's Homepage Send Moosegooser a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

Moosegooser
Average Member

USA
89 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  20:07:08  Show Profile  Visit Moosegooser's Homepage Send Moosegooser a Private Message  Reply with Quote
starting with 42 garins, and increasing 1/2 grain at a time, all groups before this 44 grain load was 2"or a bit larger. I was shocked at what happened! I havent seen such a dramatic change before!
Go to Top of Page

Moosegooser
Average Member

USA
89 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  20:14:10  Show Profile  Visit Moosegooser's Homepage Send Moosegooser a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, let me ask this now. Could I assume that the bedding of the action is OK?
Go to Top of Page

curly

Canada
3232 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  21:34:09  Show Profile Send curly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most often, bedding issues will result in a "left-right" exaggerated grouping.....I don't see any such problem with your groups..

Curly
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06