My second deer, last season.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bigdog57
Average Member

USA
180 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2014 :  09:15:28  Show Profile Send Bigdog57 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was hunting early one morning here in north Florida. A few of us have a hunting lease in the next county over. I am in my box stand (up on ten foot legs), looking over the access road in front of me, into the food plot. We each had a doe tag at this time.
After awhile, three nice fat does appear, and line themselves up singlefile right in the foodplot's road, about 120 yards out.
I am using my tried & true Win70 in .270WSM caliber. I dialed the scope's AO down, as I had expected them to be about 250 yards.
I lined up on the closest doe. She was facing me, the one behind her also facing me and the third doe was facing directly away. Each would lift her head to scan around, then drop and feed.
I finally set my crosshairs at the base of her neck, and when she popped her head up, I took the shot. She dropped in her tracks. "DRT".
Texted my hunting buddy to bring his truck, and we got her to the processor's less than thirty minutes later. She weighed in at 100 pounds. Found the neat little entry wound, but no exit hole! We expected some internal organ damage, but it all looked good - heart was intact, and no obvious internal bleeding. Never did find the bullet.
I picked up the meat a week later, and she cooks up mighty good!
This is my second deer, as I only began hunting about three years back. I'm a 57 year old newly retired IT guy, lifetime shooter and squirrel hunter, so I do know my way around guns.
I handload for all my centerfires, and used the Winchester once-fired brass, Combined Technologies Silvertip in 130 grain size.
My first deer prior season also was neck shot, from the side. Both dropped in their tracks. I am calling this rifle "The Hammer of God".

"A noble spirit embiggen's even the smallest man!"
Jebediah Springfield

Edited by - Bigdog57 on Jul 25 2014 09:18:05

Forklift
Average Member

USA
158 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2014 :  15:17:32  Show Profile Send Forklift a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice shot! I bet she is some good eating, it's been a while since I had a nice little doe, but I sure enjoy them..

An Untrustworthy friend is the worst sort of enemy.
Go to Top of Page

DocHolladay
Advanced Member

USA
1359 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2014 :  00:03:16  Show Profile Send DocHolladay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice doe!!! For some reason, I like shooting a doe more than a buck. OF course, don't think I will turn one down that has the appropriate head gear.

Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shooting stuff!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06