Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 Techniques
 .243 reloading question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

339 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  20:31:47  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I once had a gunsmith friend who loaded 6mm Rem. brass w/ .243 dies. This worked though the brass was neck sized only. My question is could it be done the other way around? Could .243 brass be reloaded w/ 6mm Rem dies? I would think that the bullet seater die would work as I use my .223 bullet seater to seat bullets in .222 brass w/ no problem. I don't think that the 6mm Rem FL or neck sizing dies would neck size .243 brass as the 243 is shorter and fatter than the 6mm case; but, I could be wrong and it could work. Does anyone know?
7x57guy

curly

Canada
3024 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  22:33:37  Show Profile Send curly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shoulder angle: 20 degrees on the .243.....26 degrees on the .244 Rem...

Longer neck on the .244 Rem....

Ah hell....you only live once...

Curly
Go to Top of Page

ranger335v
Advanced Member

1633 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  10:57:02  Show Profile Send ranger335v a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A quick glance at any case drawings will show the shoulder diameter of the 6mm Rem is smaller than .243 Win so pushing .243 up a 6mm die will give you a really weird looking cartridge.

- Common sense is an uncommon quality -
Go to Top of Page

Joe King

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2012 :  14:17:50  Show Profile Send Joe King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ranger335v

A quick glance at any case drawings will show the shoulder diameter of the 6mm Rem is smaller than .243 Win so pushing .243 up a 6mm die will give you a really weird looking cartridge.

Oh he should do just one for that reason alone, then post pics

you can hit em as hard as you want, but you have to hit em first

Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

339 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2012 :  18:34:55  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have any .243's in hand to compare, but if I did I probably would not have even posted the question. I would have seen the difference. I was just wondering.
7x57guy
Go to Top of Page

F. Guffey
Advanced Member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  10:17:12  Show Profile  Visit F. Guffey's Homepage Send F. Guffey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
7mm57,

“A quick glance at any case drawings will show the shoulder diameter of the 6mm Rem is smaller than .243 Win so pushing .243 up a 6mm die will give you a really weird looking cartridge”

A little history, the 243 is a necked down 308 W, the 6mm Remington is a necked down 7mm57, so, diameter is one thing, the length of the case from the head of the case to the shoulder is another matter, the 243 shoulder will lack .164 thousandths reaching the shoulder of the 6mm Remington die. again, if I had one forming/trim die it would be the 308 W, then there would be the 243 trim/form die.

I was at the Dallas Market Hall gun show (the last one) when a collector/shooter ask for help with his Mauser, he listed a long list of smith he had taken his rifle to, on fist name bases he described their attempt at ‘fixing’ his problem. By his description there was so much information missing no one had a clue what he was talking about, the smith he was talking to did not have time and was not interested in making the repairs. Then I got involved, he explained he wanted to put the rifle back to what it was??? My question, “Back to what is was, when?”. I explained to him I could get his Mauser back to what it was when it was manufactured, after it was manufactured his rifle became a 308W.7.62 NATO, then someone reamed the chamber to 30/06, not knowing the 30/06 reamer would not clean the 308W/7.62 NATO chamber, the smith that reamed the chamber created the problem, his fired 30/06 cases had a ring around the case that is caused by the failure of of the reamer to remove the case body/shoulder juncture of the 308W chamber.

The difference can be .011 +/- a few, I gave him a few options, ream to 30/06 Ackley improved or go to 30 Gibbs, getting his Mauser back to Israeli 7.62 NATO will require another 308 W/7.62 NATO barrel. He said one smith ran a 30/06 reamer into the chamber (and turned it) in an attempt cleaning up the chamber, by this time everyone was bored and wanted to talk about something else, no one informed the proud owner of the ‘once 308W’ Mauser removing the ring around the case increased the length of the chamber, not a problem for me, I form first then fire, not a problem for fire formers (requires little to no skill) unless they have a compulsive full length sizing disorder. I practice the ‘leaver policy’, once the shoulder of the case length from the head of the case to the shoulder and the length of the chamber is known from the bolt face to the shoulder of the chamber I adjust/control the ability of the die to to size the case.

Point? The 7mm57 chamber has been reamed to 280 Remington, those doing the reaming never measured before and again after, measuring the neck diameter of a fired 7mm57 would have save the smith from making excuses for the two different neck diameters of their new creation, a 280 Remington with two different neck diameters.

Then there was the “Which 30/06 Ackley chamber do you have?” There are at least three. The neck of the 30/06 Ackley Improved is longer than the neck of the 30/06 neck meaning when the 30/06 case is chambered in the Improved chamber part of the shoulder is sized unless the barrel is not set back,. then part of the 30/06 chamber remains and is not cleaned up with the Ackley type reamer.

Then all bets are off if a new barrel is used, a new barrel did not start as a 30/06 chamber.

Back to cleaning up the chamber by advancing the reamer and ‘no 'problem’, if the reloader can match the length of the case to the length of the chamber from the bolt face to the shoulder of the chamber.

A reloader/shooter sent me new Sammie specs for the 25/06, seems they rediscovered the 25/06 chamber and case, I was never able to get him to understand their rediscovery of the 25/06 had nothing to do with me even though they changed the name. I tried to explain to him I never used Sammie’s specs on the old chamber, again, the case length is adjustable from the head of the case to its shoulder, if I cut the chamber I can get the case to agree with the chamber. I did ask if his information regarding Sammie’s rediscovery necessitated a new reamer and die set, or can I continue using the companion tool to the press, the feeler gage.

F. Guffey

Edited by - F. Guffey on Aug 03 2012 10:20:35
Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2587 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  22:23:21  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06