Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Hunting
 Share your hunt with us
 Grandson's 270
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

determined451
Advanced Member

973 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  15:00:38  Show Profile  Click to see determined451's MSN Messenger address  Send determined451 a Yahoo! Message Send determined451 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of you know that I bought my Grandson a Ruger Mod. 77 in 270 this spring...I scoped it, and loaded 100 rds. with the Partition flat base 150 gr. bullet...well, we practiced, and he became pretty good to 150 yds...we went opening day, and an a big old Doe walked out broadside...rifle went boom, Deer did a bang-flop...all that long range practice (for an 15 yr. old city kid) paid off...range was about 15 yds...you should have seen the inside of that deer...boy, I love that bullet...D-451

The Second Amendment.. America's Original Homeland Security

ten2six
Advanced Member

USA
3501 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  15:49:39  Show Profile Send ten2six a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats D-451,

Glad to see you teaching the legacy of hunting to your grandkids.

"Chances are, when we meet intelligent life forms in outer space, they're going to be descended from predators."
- Michio Kaku
Go to Top of Page

curly

Canada
2946 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  19:23:21  Show Profile Send curly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations to the new deer hunter and the proud grandfather...

Don, all you have to do now is get the young lad to start loading his own ammo...

Curly
Go to Top of Page

fishstan2
Advanced Member

USA
2289 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  05:40:55  Show Profile  Send fishstan2 a Yahoo! Message Send fishstan2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D451, as stated Congrats, I know that must be a great feeling. Stan

WILLIAMS, STANLEY W.
CSM JBLM
"I SAY SHOOTEM FROM LONG RANGE"
Go to Top of Page

determined451
Advanced Member

973 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  08:10:45  Show Profile  Click to see determined451's MSN Messenger address  Send determined451 a Yahoo! Message Send determined451 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Curly, I have already thought of that, and we have talked...He is coming down to spend a week during the Holidays, and I am going to start him then.. There is so much I want to teach him..Also am going to start him learning how to cook primitive..I use the old Dutch Ovens, over a fire...throw in a little camping, and a few days in the woods...you will have one happy GrandDad...He has harvested deer before, but has never had HIS own rifle...seems fitting it should be a 270 Win...I hunted most of my life with one..should serve him well..D-451

The Second Amendment.. America's Original Homeland Security
Go to Top of Page

Matthew222

USA
360 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  11:59:35  Show Profile Send Matthew222 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats determined451 !
It's a great feeling indeed. I, like you , need more time with my Grandkids as they are city kids and dont get to shoot unless there with me, a real shame too cos I'm only 14 miles away, another story.
Again, great job to both of you!!
Matt

Behold the rain which
descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of
the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves
us, and loves to see us happy. Ben Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Coyote50

USA
368 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  11:23:26  Show Profile Send Coyote50 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am glad you did this for your grandson. He will come to appreciate it more than you or him know. My grandfather passed before i was old enough to hunt but i still tagged along with him and my dad and uncle. I do remember him teaching me to fly fish though and thinking about it now at 22 still just about brings tears to my eyes. Teaching todays youth the values of a hunter/ fisherman is very important. teaching them at a young age is paramount. Doing this is one of the greatest things you can do for future generations in my opinion and the memories will last forever. Nothing is better than getting multipple generations outdoors together. Besides that its damn fun!

A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on its user-Theodore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Joe King

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  10:44:18  Show Profile Send Joe King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
451 that's the same bullet I load for my 270 also, and I'll tell ya it just flat works. My son has used that 270 and bullet to take his 2 elk to date, and 3 deer. Ive used it on several deer and dropped my biggest to the shot. It's pretty hard to beat the 270 for a gun that will handle bout everything in the lower 48, coupled with the 150gr NP it's a combo that just flat works.

you can hit em as hard as you want, but you have to hit em first

Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Go to Top of Page

BIG LION

Namibia
12 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2012 :  02:19:02  Show Profile Send BIG LION a Private Message  Reply with Quote
270 WINCHESTER

I use it for more than 25 years now and has my 5th one now. I use it for culling game in Namibia. I had shoot with it over 15 000 springbucks and 3000 large game and are very satisfied with it. This year with a LX2 Lynx scope with 110gr Hor. Vmax bullets at a speed of 3300-3400 f/s. It is the best rifle you can get. Shooting ranges from 25 meters to 1200 meters it is the best bullets in all the years. BUT it is the man behind the rifle like my teacher had told me.
ALL THE BEST FOR YOU MEN OUT THERE AND BE GOD WITH YOU ALL.
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
4779 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2012 :  10:58:10  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
15,000 springbucks and 3000 large game? I thought things were bad in Africa? Animal rights groups would have us thinking the animals were all in zoo's.
Go to Top of Page

loader1
Average Member

79 Posts

Posted - May 17 2013 :  12:28:50  Show Profile Send loader1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to hear more about the loads especially the powder you are using????

I have a 270 winchester and some 150 gr partitions that I would like to load for. In shooting the 150 gr speer bullets I was getting 1/2 " at 100 yds but speer are not partitions. Any suggestions????

EXPERIENCE IS ALWAYS HELPFUL
LOADER1

May you be downwind of your quarry, may the sun be behind you, may the harvest be near the road and may you learn to hunt downhill in your pursuit.
Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2496 Posts

Posted - May 17 2013 :  21:22:47  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use Hodgdon H4831SC for 130 to 150 grain bullets.
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
4779 Posts

Posted - May 18 2013 :  13:47:09  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
4350 for 130's and 4831 or 3100 for 150's
Go to Top of Page

RaySendero
Advanced Member

USA
500 Posts

Posted - May 18 2013 :  15:03:36  Show Profile Send RaySendero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shastaboat

4350 for 130's and 4831 or 3100 for 150's

LOL - Guess both work well!

I'm just the opposite.
Both of mine like IMR-4831 with 130s and like
IMR-4350 best with the 150s.

Ray
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06