Looking at two Case Trimmers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

smullen
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  14:28:44  Show Profile Send smullen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will be trimming .223, .300 Blackout and .308... Mostly the .300 Blackouts.

It would be nice to be able to do 9mm and .45 even though from what I've seen you don't really need too, or not often.

The two I have it narrowed down to are the

L.E. Wilson Micrometer Case Trimmer (145.00 + a few Shell Holders)
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/276092/le-wilson-micrometer-case-trimmer-stainless-steel-case-trimming-kit
In Use https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81D3OEhCLbg

and the

Redding 2400 Match Precision Case Trimmer (149.00)
http://www.redding-reloading.com/online-catalog/77-model-2400-match-precision-case-trimming-lathe

Price of each is fairly close, but not even a concern really..

I'm looking for
1. Repeat-ability,
2. long lasting,
3. ease of use.
4. Replaceable Cutter,
4. Able to use a power adapter or manual operate

Both have power adapter available as well and look to be an easy swap...

Both seem like good companies that I have things from (Have a Redding T7 and so far I love it, also have several L.E. Wilson Case Gauges, which work great too)

I'm leaning towards the L.E. Wilson.

I know there are tons of other great trimmers out there and everyone prefers what they have, but I'd really like to focus on these two. Unless there is a really good reason not too..

Any Input on the two I asked about above (Positive or Negative) would be great.

Lifetime Benefactor NRA Member
Larueminati

Edited by - smullen on Jan 20 2017 16:56:07

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9148 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  15:15:39  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use a Lyman and Forrester manual trimmers but for .223/5.56 bulk trimming I use a Lyman motorized trimmer. Depending on quantity you plan to trim will influence your choice.
Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2871 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  17:51:23  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have used the Forster Original since 1968. Works for me and it is very similar to the Redding that you are looking at.

I haven't replace the cutter on it yet, but they are available most anywhere.
Go to Top of Page

DUSTY NOGGIN
Advanced Member

USA
768 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  18:22:01  Show Profile Send DUSTY NOGGIN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
consider this, with the use of a power drill - not the fastest but still very fast

save some money for bullets

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/128681/lyman-e-zee-trim-hand-case-trimmer-rifle-set

kit comes with 2 of the three 223 & 308 you are doing

but many other pilots available like your 300blkout

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1064123317/lyman-e-zee-trim-hand-case-trimmer-pilot

and you will need shell holders ( this kit has fit everything ive ever loaded )
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/727056/lyman-shellholder-pack-of-12

Edited by - DUSTY NOGGIN on Jan 20 2017 18:30:56
Go to Top of Page

Leatherstocking
Average Member

Canada
147 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  23:43:40  Show Profile Send Leatherstocking a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't go wrong with the Wilson. I'm not a high volume reloader, but have trimmed thousands of cases over 5 years or so. Very accurate, repeatable. Nice tool.
Only used it by hand crank.

Edited by - Leatherstocking on Jan 21 2017 09:07:14
Go to Top of Page

EnglishTom
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
772 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2017 :  01:02:46  Show Profile  Click to see EnglishTom's MSN Messenger address Send EnglishTom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lyman here with powerhead, never let me down, even trim .410 shotshells
Go to Top of Page

Zero333
Advanced Member

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2017 :  11:17:09  Show Profile Send Zero333 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're doing hundreds of cases at a time, then the Redding is the one you want.

If you do only up to 50 cases at a time, then you can't get better than the Wilson.

Treat that trigger like it’s your first date, not like you’ve been married to it for 20 years.
Go to Top of Page

dickn52

USA
356 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2017 :  00:21:06  Show Profile Send dickn52 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look at Little Crows WFT (Worlds Finest Trimmer) too.
Go to Top of Page

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
4041 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2017 :  03:06:02  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
smullen

Consider the Power Quick Trim from Lee, it works on your press with a cordless screwdriver or drill. The Deluxe kit is $26 and requires quick Trim Dies that available in all the calibers you listed, they are $12 a caliber set.

Deluxe Power Quick Trim, http://leeprecision.com/deluxe-power-quick-trim.html There is a nice 41 second demo video on the page too.

Rifle Quick Trim Dies, http://leeprecision.com/rifle-quick-trim-dies/

The dies are adjustable through a nice range and extraordinarily consistent while the setup and dies are priced way lower than what you are looking at. I have used the hand crank version and love it but have not tried the new power version. It WON"T be less accurate than the hand version and either is very at home on any standard thread reloading press die station.

Do check the video above on the Deluxe Power Trim. It trims and chamfers in one short step that is a few seconds per case. My Forster is put away in a box.

Gary

Fine rifles are never really owned.

Edited by - Onondaga on Jan 22 2017 03:15:25
Go to Top of Page

Ray Newman
Average Member

140 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2017 :  15:26:49  Show Profile Send Ray Newman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few years ago, I sold my Redding 2400 with micrometer to purchase a L. E. Wilson from Sinclair. The model I purchased, "The Ultimate Trimmer and Platform", has a micrometer head and an adapter to use and electric drill/screwdriver is available.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/case-preparation/case-trimming/case-trimmers/ultimate-trimmer-platform-kit-prod54116.aspx

Over the years, I purchased RCBS, the Redding 2400, Forster, and lee case trimmers. I find the L.E. Wilson is the easiest to use, very accurate, and repeatable.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....

Edited by - Ray Newman on Jan 23 2017 15:29:11
Go to Top of Page

Ireload2

USA
286 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2017 :  15:34:08  Show Profile Send Ireload2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
>>>Unless there is a really good reason not too<<<

There is no real reason to consider either one.

The Forster trimmer is readily available used for $35 to $50 and with 4 collets and pilots to suit will trim almost anything. It can also be used under power.

I have 4 of the Wilson trimmers and 5 of the Forsters. I have used both of them alot.

You can buy what ever you want but looking at marketing BS is a sure way to buy the wrong thing.
You need to actually use all the major trimmers first.

I'm looking for
1. Repeat-ability Will cut case lengths to the nearest .001 if you have any manual dexterity at all.

2. long lasting - Mine has seen heavy use since 1975.

3. ease of use. Forster is easier than the Wilson.

4. Replaceable Cutter
Forster offers this if you live long enough. My Forster has seen hard use since 1975 and still works great. This includes trimming .300 off of several hundred 30-06 cases reformed to 8X57 and 7.65 Mauser. I turned about 6 feet of case necks into brass shavings with the same cutter.
The Wilson cutter does not last that well. I dulled one squaring up about 50 case heads.

4. Able to use a power adapter or manual operate
Forster requires a 5/16-24 high nut and a 7/16" nut driver socket

Edited by - Ireload2 on Jan 23 2017 15:42:50
Go to Top of Page

KB0VSO
Average Member

USA
125 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2017 :  12:53:43  Show Profile Send KB0VSO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tried many different trimmer's and found this one to do every think you have ask for in a trimmer. After using it my brass is with in 2 or 3 grains of each other.

The Lee Deluxe Quick Trim Case Trimmer is the next step in the evolution of quick and accurate case trimming. The Deluxe Quick Trim Case Trimmer quickly and precisely trims brass to the correct length while both chamfering and deburring the case mouth. The great thing about the trimmer is all a reloader has to do is install the correct quick trim die (sold separately), install the trimmer and start trimming brass. The trimmer has a click adjustable stop that allows trim length adjustment in .001" increments and the reloader can shorten cases to a uniform length. Includes a snap on chip catcher.

Larry
Way Up North in Minnesota, USA
Go to Top of Page

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
4041 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  00:56:06  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
smullen

The Lee Quick Trim and the Lee Power Quick Trim both use the same dies and do the length, inside, outside chamfer all in one step. The only difference is one is hand cranked with a nice included crank and the other only uses your power drill. Lee and Youtube have lots of videos for either.

I check if my case heads are flat on an Xfine diamond hone flat for best trimmer accuracy and maintain <.001" with the Quick Trim. Yes a .001" high bump on a case head makes your cases trim .001" shorter than your setting. I just give them a very light slow whisk over the diamond flat and feel them flatten when they need it. You need very good hands and concentration to apply force specifically for that task and do it well without hacking up case-heads and just fixing them. It is delicate when you are aiming at zero error of your case head fit to your shell holder. That fit is one of the two critical mechanical stops in case trimming. And there is only two so you have to get it accurately to trim well.

Gary

Fine rifles are never really owned.

Edited by - Onondaga on Feb 08 2017 01:20:54
Go to Top of Page

Ireload2

USA
286 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2017 :  11:01:11  Show Profile Send Ireload2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Forster trimmer will trim anything that the collet and pilots fit.
There are no case specific parts so you can trim everything from the .22 Hornet to the .458 Win Mag without spending another dime.
It has been proved to be a superior trimmer for over 50 years and it has out lasted many generations of lesser trimmer designs.
I think you will find that people who have been using the Lee trimmer do not fully agree with it being the latest and greatest. There are other sites with hand loaders having a lot of case trimming experience that are not Lee fan boys. They can give you a less biased opinion on the best trimmers. If helps if you try a broader cross section of the internet.

Trimmed cases are not measured in grains.

quote:
Originally posted by KB0VSO

I tried many different trimmer's and found this one to do every think you have ask for in a trimmer. After using it my brass is with in 2 or 3 grains of each other.

The Lee Deluxe Quick Trim Case Trimmer is the next step in the evolution of quick and accurate case trimming. The Deluxe Quick Trim Case Trimmer quickly and precisely trims brass to the correct length while both chamfering and deburring the case mouth. The great thing about the trimmer is all a reloader has to do is install the correct quick trim die (sold separately), install the trimmer and start trimming brass. The trimmer has a click adjustable stop that allows trim length adjustment in .001" increments and the reloader can shorten cases to a uniform length. Includes a snap on chip catcher.

Edited by - Ireload2 on Feb 13 2017 11:05:17
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06