New barrel, new caliber
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

swampshooter
Advanced Member

USA
669 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2013 :  07:52:55  Show Profile Send swampshooter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got my rifle (Savage F-Class #12) back from the riflesmith yesterday. New barrel and new caliber. I went to a 284 Winchester with a 32" Bartlein barrel with 5R rifling, no taper, straight 1 1/4". I'll be mounting my Nightforce 12-42X scope later today. I hope to shoot it Sunday or Monday morning. Sometimes it's nice to be retired.
I hope to shoot it in a match Dec. 14.
PS. 1 in 9 twist.

nra range technical team advisor
nra endowment member
Texas State Hunters Safety Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol Coach

Edited by - swampshooter on Nov 16 2013 08:48:15

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9148 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2013 :  09:25:10  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What does that connon weigh?
Go to Top of Page

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2013 :  14:12:01  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
swampshooter

Consider my bore polishing method to break it in with zero shots fired!!!!

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/view_topic.php?id=8364&forum_id=63

And:

http://www.reloadersnest.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19710&SearchTerms=bore,polishing

Gary

Fine rifles are never really owned.

Edited by - Onondaga on Nov 16 2013 14:12:29
Go to Top of Page

swampshooter
Advanced Member

USA
669 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2013 :  17:05:10  Show Profile Send swampshooter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a hand lapped bore and is plenty smooth enough. The only area that may need to be broke in a little bit is the throat. I have a method that has been very successful for me in the past. Thanks anyway for your consideration.

nra endowment member
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol Coach
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9148 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2013 :  18:02:43  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bill, What is the weight?
Go to Top of Page

swampshooter
Advanced Member

USA
669 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2013 :  06:21:27  Show Profile Send swampshooter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With scope mounted, ready to shoot, 19.8 pounds. Scope and heavy Farrel tactical rings are about 2 pounds. F/open that I shoot has a 22 pound limit and they weigh your rifle before every match. If I don't like the recoil I might add a couple pounds of shot to the butt. Recoil tolerance is much less for a 60 rounds match than it is for 8 or 10 rounds or even twenty from a sporter.
If a shooter even starts thinking about recoil instead of the wind, he's going to drop points.

Edited by - swampshooter on Nov 17 2013 06:35:13
Go to Top of Page

swampshooter
Advanced Member

USA
669 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2013 :  23:22:00  Show Profile Send swampshooter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shot 10 five shot groups with the new 284 barrel in the last two days. It's shooting very well so far. Testing 180 gr. Sie. MK with H-4831sc. Best 100 yd. 5-shot group was .324". But only one group was over .590. Velocity with 180 gr. bullet was 2857 fps. and it's a ***** cat as far as recoil is concerned. I'll shoot some more groups at 100 and 300 yards to verify and tweak the loads that I've developed so far.

nra endowment member
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol Coach
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9148 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2013 :  00:02:01  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Budlight would try to carry that rifle afield....lol...he likes them long and heavy!
Go to Top of Page

ten2six
Advanced Member

USA
4023 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2013 :  09:53:35  Show Profile Send ten2six a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha, ha, Shasta...carry that rifle afield.

Do you have photos to post, swampshooter? I'd be careful on adding weight...not that it's not a good idea, just you should try to place it so the gun stays balanced and helps limit muzzle lift.

"Chances are, when we meet intelligent life forms in outer space, they're going to be descended from predators."
- Michio Kaku
Go to Top of Page

swampshooter
Advanced Member

USA
669 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2013 :  10:10:41  Show Profile Send swampshooter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shasta, I'm going to have to hit the weights and steroids for a couple of years so I can take it elk hunting. Ha, Ha. I really like this 284 caliber. It's been very easy to develop accurate loads. I'm contemplating making up a varmint weight rifle with 30" palma taper that I can carry to a stand. A 2014 project, maybe.

Ten, It is plenty muzzle heavy. I might add some weight to the butt to eliminate some of it. It won't balance in my cleaning cradle without falling forward unless I have it screwed down. I can still add two pounds and be under the weight limit for F-Class Open. So far I'm very pleased with it.

Onandaga, I tried to break it in. Fired one shot and cleaned with copper solvent. No copper. Fired three shots and cleaned, no copper. Fired 5 shots and cleaned , no copper. Fired 20 shots and cleaned, no copper. This is the first barrel that I've ever owned that wouldn't show any copper after the first twenty shots. I'll check it when I fire 53 rounds in my first match coming up in early December. So far it's good.

Edited by - swampshooter on Nov 19 2013 10:32:14
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06