Bullet performance
 220 gr sierra game king for moose
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

czechster
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2017 :  14:04:31  Show Profile Send czechster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will be hunting moose this year,and was wondering if anyone used this bullet? I will be using a 325wsm muzzle velocity 2650fps.

Paul B
Advanced Member

3935 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2017 :  15:04:52  Show Profile Send Paul B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess it would work OK. The only game animal I ever shot with a Game King was an antelope with the 150 gr. Sierra GK. The antelope died. Frankly, for something like a moose, I'd probably want something a bit tougher like a Nosler Partition or maybe Accubond if they make one in that caliber. I call it cheap insurance.
Paul B.
Go to Top of Page

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
3920 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2017 :  15:13:22  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
czechster

There is millions of testimonials for Sierra SGKs. I question why you need another testimonial or why you doubt SGKs. Your 2650 fps is at maximum for any recommended powder for the cartridge with a 220 gr bullet. That is where your doubt originates because you gotta know that your bullet will explode at close range on anything with that velocity. My first advice is to tailor your load energy to your expected Moose distance instead of loading for maximum snot. Moose take 1200 foot pounds to the vital on impact for a humane harvest, any more is wasted and unnecessary. An MV of 2460 fps with your bullet yields humane harvest out to 200 yards and won't blow up your bullet at 50 yards.

Gary

Fine rifles are never really owned.

Edited by - Onondaga on Mar 01 2017 15:21:58
Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2730 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2017 :  23:18:02  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with what PaulB said. Nosler Accubond or a Partition are premium for large game animals.

Bullets are the last place to shave costs when large animal hunting. They will make you happy.

325 WSM is a wonderful cartridge.
Go to Top of Page

RaySendero
Advanced Member

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  12:43:38  Show Profile Send RaySendero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Onondaga

czechster

There is millions of testimonials for Sierra SGKs. I question why you need another testimonial or why you doubt SGKs. Your 2650 fps is at maximum for any recommended powder for the cartridge with a 220 gr bullet. That is where your doubt originates because you gotta know that your bullet will explode at close range on anything with that velocity. My first advice is to tailor your load energy to your expected Moose distance instead of loading for maximum snot. Moose take 1200 foot pounds to the vital on impact for a humane harvest, any more is wasted and unnecessary. An MV of 2460 fps with your bullet yields humane harvest out to 200 yards and won't blow up your bullet at 50 yards.

Gary

Gary, I tried that 220 SGK in my 8mm Mauser. It was a tough bullet Sierra designed for the 8mm Remington Magnum. Ii would not expand at all when driven to 8mm Mauser velocities!

Ray
Go to Top of Page

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
3920 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  13:09:50  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RaySendero

Your observation is correct and valid. However you should also realize that some shooters want bullets to do what they demand while completely ignoring what the bullet was designed for. Neither of us can help that. The SGKs are simple cup and core bullets optimized for their recommended applications. You can't make someone believe that when they have pre-ordained the bullet to be something else. When there is no data to support using a bullet at velocities a bullet was designed for on game animals it was designed for and you use it anyway, you lose your validity grumping off about it.

I am not sure if the 220 SGK really was designed for the 8mm Rem Mag at it's velocities of 200+ fps faster than the 325 WSM and 500 fps faster than the 8X57 Mauser, that alone raises questions and flags to me. Quoting where Sierra says that would be productive. A direct question to Sierra would also be way more productive than assumptions. The SGKs are great bullets when used in the applications they are optimized for. If you can't get the questions answered before you even buy the bullets, you chose the wrong bullet.

Gary

Fine rifles are never really owned.

Edited by - Onondaga on Mar 02 2017 13:39:32
Go to Top of Page

swampdonkey01
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2017 :  04:08:56  Show Profile Send swampdonkey01 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After 29yrs of hunting moose here in AK, I've seen 'em killed with 22-250's and on up too 458's. The calibers that range around 270-338 get the most attention and seem too work the best.
Moose are NOT hard to kill.
NPartitions, A-Frames, Core-Lokt's, and SST's have flatout put some meat in the freezers.
I'm a huge fan of the 200gr ELD-x in my 300RUM.
Man, you talk about impressive on moose!!
The bullets I hear the most "stories" about are SGK's and Accubonds. And they're typically not good ones..
Usually associated with some type of failure or very poor performance..
Go to Top of Page

RaySendero
Advanced Member

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2017 :  11:33:11  Show Profile Send RaySendero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Onondaga

RaySendero

Your observation is correct and valid. .....
, you lose your validity grumping off about it.

Gary

Good grief Gary,

I'm not "grumping",
I offered my experience only as a caution.
And it is eye witness experience.

Your the one that's "grumping" about the 220 SGK choice
with absolutely no 1st hand experience!

PS: As to you not knowing about the 220 SGK - Got go their website and read about the 220 SGK - You will gain some knowledge that you say you don't know!

Ray

Edited by - RaySendero on Mar 09 2017 11:46:28
Go to Top of Page

mtmuley
Advanced Member

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2017 :  18:37:20  Show Profile Send mtmuley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gary is making more friends I see. mtmuley
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06