Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other
 Requested calibers
 What Cal. in 7MM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

homer j.

USA
270 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  17:10:29  Show Profile Send homer j. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have one more model 98 action left. And a BBL. in .284 dia. But what cal. 7mm 08, 7X57,.284,280 Rem. or one of the short 7mm mags. The BBL. will be at least 24" long and it will set in a boyd JRS. stock, walnut, metal will go flat matte. Have a Leupold 3X9X40 VAR X II for glass.

homer j.

MIKESBARRO
Advanced Member

USA
2842 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  20:03:59  Show Profile Send MIKESBARRO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I'd go with the .280 if the action is long enough; otherwise the 7mm-08...especially if you are opting for a 24" barrel. You could probably get pretty close to the short mag performance with the .280, especially with heavier bullets. Wouldn't the bolt face have to be modified for the .284 or the short mags???

Mike
Go to Top of Page

oneokie
Advanced Member

USA
909 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  22:43:11  Show Profile Send oneokie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any particular purpose for this 7mm?

The 7mm-08 is probably the most efficient cartridge, but would need a block in the magazine.

The 7x57 would be a slam dunk for an original action, no modifications, and is not far behind the 7mm-08 ballisticaly.

The 280 will be able to push the heavier bullets faster, but will need magazine modifications.

The short magnums would require opening up the bolt face and more than likely the feed rails.

Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.
Go to Top of Page

homer j.

USA
270 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  09:45:21  Show Profile Send homer j. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike and Oneokie, This is the last of five model 98's that I have for the five Grandson's that I have. The other's are two 30-06's and two 6.5X55's and so this one comes down to 7X57 or 280 Rem. Both will work on the Deer hunting that they do. Thanks

homer j.
Go to Top of Page

Larryh128

25 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  14:38:55  Show Profile Send Larryh128 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have had at one time or the other a lot of the 7's. My all time personal favorite is the 284. It is basically a short mag with a standard head (.473). The new Reloader 17 is a marriage made in heaven for the short mags & the 284 as well. Easy to load & you can take it from mild to smoking. My deer load is a Barnes 120 gr TTSX running at 3300 fps in a 24" Krieger barrel. Really accurate & deadly or you can load it down if they are smaller framed. Recoil isn't bad. That is on a Mexican 98 action.
Go to Top of Page

archerross
Advanced Member

USA
596 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  19:12:46  Show Profile Send archerross a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll second the 284. While it may not be quite as efficient as the 7-08, I bet it's close. I currently have .243, 6.5-284, and 30-06. My next rifle will be in a 7mm cal...most likely the 284 or 7 Dakota.

There is plenty of room for all of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes.
Go to Top of Page

rifleman0714
Average Member

75 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  21:01:07  Show Profile Send rifleman0714 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My opinion, 7x57, it can be loaded to some impressive velocities. It will also work well in 98 action, not really any mods needed.
Go to Top of Page

jisii

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2010 :  00:15:54  Show Profile Send jisii a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second the 7x57 suggetion; if you load to 7mm-08 pressures, which are no problem in a good M98 action, it will do anything a 7mm-08 will do and usually a little more. I recently built one on a BRNO action and like it a lot! I've been a 30-06 guy since the 50s but this little 7 really performs and doesn't beat me up as much.

John I. Smith II
Go to Top of Page

ForneyRider

USA
36 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  20:56:26  Show Profile Send ForneyRider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
280 AI. You can push a 284 heavy bullet just a hair slower than 7mm Rem Mag, and a lighter bullet as fast as factory 7mm Rem Mag.

When all is said and done, there is a lot more said than done.
Go to Top of Page

wilbar

Canada
459 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  00:59:19  Show Profile Send wilbar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was reading on 6mmbr.com about the 7saum and its pretty impressive, only a couple(like teens)fps slower than WSM with 5% less powder and you can seat out farther. Check out the 7 mil page on that site. I do love my 7-08 but its really about emotions with the 7's. The numbers are all great and the compromises are almost all splitting hairs so really what tickles your fancy? Why not a wildcat 7 on the RCM case. Non belted, no rebated rim and totally unique, you'd probably get to choose a shoulder angle that would feed reliably and everybody is happy call it the 7mmRugerCompromiseMagnum. LOL.

Good luck choosing, its the hardest part.
Willy

Lord help me to pass up the shots I should not take, to make the shots I should, and give me the wisdom to know the difference.
Go to Top of Page

wilbar

Canada
459 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  01:01:08  Show Profile Send wilbar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, just noticed the date on the original post.

Lord help me to pass up the shots I should not take, to make the shots I should, and give me the wisdom to know the difference.
Go to Top of Page

WILLIAMDOERSAM

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  01:36:54  Show Profile Send WILLIAMDOERSAM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilbar

Wow, just noticed the date on the original post.

Don't worry Willy. We have all fallen into the old moldy topic. It don't hurt a thing and sometimes we all might even learn something.

Best wishes, Bill

HAPPY TRAILS

MINOT (MINDROT) NORTH DAKOTA. THE WAY AMERICA USED TO BE.

NRA LIFE MEMBER-1965
JPFO LIFE MEMBER
IHMSA
DAV

IT'S OK.....I STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN...THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

Vietnam Vet 64-66-68-70

USAF 8 DEC 58- 1 JAN 85
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
5168 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  10:32:50  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you really want to put together a superb combination do a 7x57 Ackley Improved. It will beat any other 7mm caliber and even approach a 7mm mag.
Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2554 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  23:16:18  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A straight 7x57 will feed the best and give you a little extra room left in the magazine.
Go to Top of Page

Paul B
Advanced Member

3281 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  16:35:30  Show Profile Send Paul B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The 7x57 would be a slam dunk for an original action, no modifications, and is not far behind the 7mm-08 ballisticaly."

Loaded to modern pressures, the 7x57 will surpass the 7-08 by a slight margin.
I have one FN Mauser action made into a 7x57 and I have a 1909 Aregentine mauser made into a .280 Rem., the best of both 7MM worlds. I also have a winchester M70 Featherweight in 7x57 and talk about a sweetheart. I even have a Ruger #1A in 7x57 so that gives you an idea of how I feel about the cartridge. I can get an honest 2800 FPS from that Feather weight with the 140 gr. Nosler ballistic tip using a top charge of W-760 powder. The same load works in the Ruger but is a bit too hot for the custom Mauser which has a match grade chamber and barrel. However, it will put 5 shots using the winchester 145 gr. Power Point factory ammo into .75" all day long as long as I do my part. The M70 will put 5 shot using W-760 and the 170 gr. Sierra round nose bullet into .375 to .50" all day long. If anyone has any of those Sierra bullets they want to get rid of, I'll take all you got. Sierra dropped them a few years back and says unless they get a very big demand, they will never make them again. I'm gonna try some Hornady 175 gr. bullets (round nose) if I can find any. Winchester no longer sell their 175 gr. RN's dammit! Supposedly remington may still be making them but I sure can't find any. Federal 175's are fairly easy to find but horribly underloaded. I don't care what they advertise, the best I've gotten from my 23" barreled Mauser is 150 FPS. My handloads do a lot better than that.
Paul B.

Edited by - Paul B on Aug 15 2011 14:53:34
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
5168 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  15:40:10  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul B. Did you make a typo on your last post regarding the 23" Mauser at 150 FPS?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06