Reloading General
 General forum
 125 Hornady SST 30 Caliber
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

K22

447 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2017 :  20:37:58  Show Profile Send K22 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Been searching for a light recoil, deep woods load for my Tikka T3 308. Most shots are within 100 yards and rarely if ever beyond 200 yards in these heavily forested areas. In 40+ years of hunting in the eastern forests I've never had a shot at a deer over 185 yards.

I recently tried the Hornaday 125 SST with 40.0 grain of H4895 and I was pleased with the accuracy, three five shot groups, on different days averaged .785" at 100 yards. The recoil was mild and it was enjoyable to shoot in this light weight rifle.

I sighted in a 2" high at 100 yards and was about 2" low at 200 yards putting all shots well within a 6" circle off my shooting sticks which is well within the vital area of a white tail.

Plan to test it out this deer season on doe if I get an opportunity.

Zero333
Advanced Member

Canada
824 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2017 :  08:47:00  Show Profile Send Zero333 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quickload predicts your velocity to be in the 2,600 fps range.

The 125 gr SST was most likely made for smaller 30 cal cases and your lower velocity should work very well with it.

Treat that trigger like it’s your first date, not like you’ve been married to it for 20 years.
Go to Top of Page

Kosh75287
Advanced Member

USA
809 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2017 :  10:49:39  Show Profile Send Kosh75287 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might want to ask Hornady for what range of velocities the .308" 125gr. SST is intended. If this projectile is intended for use in rifles chambered for 7.62x39mm, it may be designed to expand best at velocities around 2100 + 150 f/s. Pushing the bullet 20% faster may cause it to expand too much, and too soon. If, on the other hand, this projectile is designed to expand in the 3000 + 200 f/s range, then a 2600 f/s muzzle velocity might not be enough to assure adequate expansion.

It is not my intention to rain an anyone's parade, here. It's just that when I go afield, I have such luck as to be sure that, if it starts raining SOUP, I'd be the soul who is equipped only with a fork and a strainer. Such luck motivates me to examine details with (perhaps excessive) caution. The velocity range in which this projectile works best is one variable of the equation I'D want nailed down. If you've already checked this, then forgive my ruminations. I just don't want you losing a deer because the projectile didn't perform as expected.

God bless Jeff Cooper

Carpe SCOTCH!

Edited by - Kosh75287 on Oct 01 2017 10:53:09
Go to Top of Page

K22

447 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2017 :  21:19:37  Show Profile Send K22 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kosh75287

You might want to ask Hornady for what range of velocities the .308" 125gr. SST is intended. If this projectile is intended for use in rifles chambered for 7.62x39mm, it may be designed to expand best at velocities around 2100 + 150 f/s. Pushing the bullet 20% faster may cause it to expand too much, and too soon. If, on the other hand, this projectile is designed to expand in the 3000 + 200 f/s range, then a 2600 f/s muzzle velocity might not be enough to assure adequate expansion.

It is not my intention to rain an anyone's parade, here. It's just that when I go afield, I have such luck as to be sure that, if it starts raining SOUP, I'd be the soul who is equipped only with a fork and a strainer. Such luck motivates me to examine details with (perhaps excessive) caution. The velocity range in which this projectile works best is one variable of the equation I'D want nailed down. If you've already checked this, then forgive my ruminations. I just don't want you losing a deer because the projectile didn't perform as expected.

Good advice - will check it out. This is advertised as a big game bullet but like you pointed out, it depends on what velocity it was designed for.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06