General forum
 Browning Safari 270
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Csparks1106

USA
340 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2017 :  16:46:21  Show Profile Send Csparks1106 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been looking at a Browning 270. I called Browning and they told me it was a Safari model. Built in 1962. Sako/FN mauser 98 action I think??? Any idea what something like this is worth. It looks to be in really good shape. It has some gold inlay??? on the trigger guard and floorplate.

Thanks

Csparks1106

USA
340 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2017 :  16:59:16  Show Profile Send Csparks1106 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[url=https://postimages.org/][/url]
Go to Top of Page

Csparks1106

USA
340 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2017 :  17:03:47  Show Profile Send Csparks1106 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

Paul B
Advanced Member

3977 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2017 :  18:15:11  Show Profile Send Paul B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First question is what are they asking for it? I ask because you have have to determining if it's a "salt wood" gun before considering price. A salt wood gun has a stock that was quick cured by immersing he stock in salt to draw out he water in the wood. Unfortunately the wood absorbed salt and the metal under the wood will be badly rusted. If it still has a steel butt plate, remove that to see if it has rust. If I has a pad, remover the barreled action and floor plate and look for rust.
Frankly, I wouldn't go over $500 for a salt wood gun as it's almost impossible to clean that mess up. Other than that it should still be a good shooter. If it's a non-salt wood gun, hard to say what the market will bear. I've seen clean ones go for $,1,000 or more depending on what cartridge the gun is chambered to. A .270 is rather common so should be at the lower end.
I have several rifles that are commercial FN Mausers. The big differences are the Browning has a bit nicer blue job, a different bolt release than the standard Mauser type plus you pay for the Browning name. Otherwise they're really the same gun.
I'm a very big fan of FN based Mausers so I'd probably be a bit less inclined to quibble price. If it's a non-salty and it's under a grand I'd probably be all over it if I needed another .270. I already have four and really don't want another. I've yet to see an FN Mauser in 270 that is not very accurate BTW. My two FNs in .270 are both sub MOA shooters with just about anything I run through them. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the one you're looking at shoots just as good. Quick test; run a few Winchester 150 gr. Power Points down range. My Ruger #1 .270, the two FNs and a Winchester M70 are all sub MOA with that factory load. Anyway, post the price and I'll try to give an answer.
Paul B.
Go to Top of Page

Csparks1106

USA
340 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2017 :  19:15:38  Show Profile Send Csparks1106 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's asking $695.00 for it. I opened the floorplate but I wasn't looking for rust. I'm sure he'll let me look at it again. I don't need another deer rifle, and I just blew a bunch of $$$ on a S&W 686 but it sounded pretty enticing. I may try to check it out a little closer next week. I did notice it has an aftermarket butt pad. It also comes with a Bushnell scope that he didn't have mounted. I didn't pay much attention to the scope but I assume it's 3-9X40. I also didn't get picture of the front sight. Can't remember if it's hooded or not.
Go to Top of Page

Paul B
Advanced Member

3977 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2017 :  14:11:31  Show Profile Send Paul B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think $695 is a pretty good price, especially if it's a non-salty. Wouldn't surprise me if you waved six $100 bills at him that he'd let it go. If not say let's split the difference. My reasoning is they're in the same class as a pre-64 Winchester M70 and in my not very humble opinion a hell of a lot more rifle. I did say I was prejudiced in favor of the 98 Mausers.
Paul B.
Go to Top of Page

ethmoid1999
Advanced Member

USA
4403 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2017 :  17:03:46  Show Profile Send ethmoid1999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Paul. Those were one of the most beautiful rifles ever made. I love the action. I don't own one but they are high on my list of wants.
Go to Top of Page

Csparks1106

USA
340 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2017 :  21:13:05  Show Profile Send Csparks1106 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The more I think about it the more I want it. My daughter really likes my 25-06 so I'm thinking I should let her have it and keep the 270 for me. Sounds logical, right???
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
4698 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2017 :  06:50:20  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Csparks1106

The more I think about it the more I want it. My daughter really likes my 25-06 so I'm thinking I should let her have it and keep the 270 for me. Sounds logical, right???

DEFINITELY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9148 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2017 :  10:34:21  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hockeynick39

quote:
Originally posted by Csparks1106

DEFINITELY!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1
Go to Top of Page

DUSTY NOGGIN
Advanced Member

USA
768 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2017 :  11:06:35  Show Profile Send DUSTY NOGGIN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
csparks, if you ever need us to make you feel better about any gun purchase, we got your back and if you run out of excuses, we have certainly used or know of all of them ... although i would stick with the whole daughter bit this time its a good one ... you should be able to use that one at least three more times

Go to Top of Page

Csparks1106

USA
340 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2017 :  17:59:41  Show Profile Send Csparks1106 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I pulled the trigger (hahaha) on it yesterday. Brought it home last night with 7 full boxes of factory ammo(part of the deal). Winchester, Federal and Remington.
The scope is a 4-16X50 with a lighted reticle. Not sure what good that will do but it's there anyway.
Ran a brush and patches through it this morning and it was pretty clean. I need to get the dies and some bullets coming but I've got several pieces of range pickup brass and the new ammo as well.
Looking forward to a little range time before deer season starts up for me.
I guess I need to talk to the AR game and fish guys because they keep scheduling opening weekend on race weekends. At least the Youth hunt falls between races. Maybe Joey can get one.
Go to Top of Page

ethmoid1999
Advanced Member

USA
4403 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2017 :  18:39:51  Show Profile Send ethmoid1999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds good! Let us know how it shoots!
Go to Top of Page

Zero333
Advanced Member

Canada
824 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2017 :  08:47:54  Show Profile Send Zero333 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a nice deer rifle. Congratulations.

That rifle looks like it has plenty of character,.. something modern rifles hardly have.

Treat that trigger like it’s your first date, not like you’ve been married to it for 20 years.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06