Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Handgun Reloading
 Handgun Reloading&Hunting
 What replaced the Speer 200gr. Flying Ashtray?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Kosh75287
Advanced Member

USA
796 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2017 :  23:42:08  Show Profile Send Kosh75287 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I miss the Speer 200gr. .452" "Flying Ashtray" JHP, but I know they're not made anymore. What did Speer replace it with? I don't remember.

God bless Jeff Cooper

Carpe SCOTCH!

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2851 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2017 :  00:27:46  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not 100% certain what the replacement was, but I shot a ton of the ashtray bullets. My Dad kept his loaded with them on his night stand and carried it with him on trips with those loads.
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
4690 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2017 :  06:50:09  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I can tell, it is the Gold Dot HP.
Go to Top of Page

Kosh75287
Advanced Member

USA
796 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2017 :  09:09:19  Show Profile Send Kosh75287 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish I'd bought several thousand of the "Flying Ashtrays" before they were d/c'd. They fed like FMJs, penetrated like Semi-WadCutters, and expanded like no other, in every type of media into which I shot them. If I knew then what I know now (and that applies to more than just bullets)...

HockeyNick
, I was trying to remember if there was a JHP marketed between the FA and the Gold Dot. I've slept several times since then, so I could certainly have forgotten an intermediate JHP, but I don't recall one. If it existed, it certainly remained unnoteworthy. I guess I'll have to stick a crowbar in my wallet, come off my "nothing but cast bullets" diet and try the Gold Dots.

Thanks for the input, fellas....

God bless Jeff Cooper

Carpe SCOTCH!

Edited by - Kosh75287 on Sep 12 2017 09:11:01
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06