Home-made rifling apparati?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kosh75287
Advanced Member

USA
796 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2017 :  14:26:20  Show Profile Send Kosh75287 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone had experience with making/using such a thing? It's above MY skill-level, but I'm pretty certain there are people on this site who know about such things.

There are videos on that world-famous website/repository for all DIY activities, but I could not escape the feeling that those folks were rifling barrels with intent to use them in nefarious ways. Of course, THEIR results were represented as stellar, whether actually so or not. There's no way (for ME, anyway) to tell from a video what quality of product finally emerged.

Just wondering.

God bless Jeff Cooper

Carpe SCOTCH!

Kosh75287
Advanced Member

USA
796 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2017 :  18:09:23  Show Profile Send Kosh75287 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<crickets chirping> Well, okay, then....

God bless Jeff Cooper

Carpe SCOTCH!
Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2851 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2017 :  15:17:00  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
<crickets chirping> Well, okay, then....

Well, then....you asked it anyone had experience using/making such a thing.

I don't consider it within the realm of the everyday shooter/weekend gunsmither's level of things to do.

The equipment necessary to do so is expensive and not all workshops or garages have such tooling.

I have observed it being done, but the barrel makers do it so much better since they have the tooling and it is their jobs to do such work.

Personally, I have never had the desire to do anything such as cutting the rifling in a barrel.

I have hand chambered some, but not cut rifling.
Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2851 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2017 :  15:22:21  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If my memory is functioning properly, I believe there is an old fart on CBA that did a series on making a rifle and included a section on cut rifling.

Nope, not CBA, it is on The Handloaders Bench and the guy is homebrew.357. It is in the gunsmithing section and starts on 3/30/2015.

He made a barrel from a blank.

edited date

Edited by - WonderMan4 on Sep 11 2017 23:52:28
Go to Top of Page

Kosh75287
Advanced Member

USA
796 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2017 :  21:30:59  Show Profile Send Kosh75287 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Wonderman. I know about the machinery being very expensive, especially for the higher-quality barrels. I was thinking of what might be required to make "okay" barrels in "SHTF" circumstances.

But thank you for pointing me in a direction.

God bless Jeff Cooper

Carpe SCOTCH!

Edited by - Kosh75287 on Sep 11 2017 21:31:52
Go to Top of Page

Zero333
Advanced Member

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2017 :  21:44:54  Show Profile Send Zero333 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihPFjuxBjPo

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rifled+barrel+making

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D43ZeYu9dnM&t=181s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAzJOULyx5c&t=1314s

Treat that trigger like it’s your first date, not like you’ve been married to it for 20 years.
Go to Top of Page

Kosh75287
Advanced Member

USA
796 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2017 :  09:14:58  Show Profile Send Kosh75287 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Zero333, some of those links look familiar, but I see ones I haven't perused yet. I'm really not an idiot when it comes to looking things up, I just have a large compliment of "cyber-neanderthal" in my genetic make-up. Great for smashing faulty equipment, but not so wonderful when cyber-finesse is required.

God bless Jeff Cooper

Carpe SCOTCH!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06