.41 Magnum
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

doctor_phil

17 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2017 :  20:28:20  Show Profile Send doctor_phil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like Alliant data for Unique lists the same CCI 300.
Go to Top of Page

Kosh75287
Advanced Member

USA
796 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2017 :  12:33:30  Show Profile Send Kosh75287 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been reloading for going on 40 years, and I don't think I've ever seen a magnum pistol primer specified for data using Unique. I'm trying to remember if I ever used magnum pistol primers with it, but Unique was the first powder I used, and 4 decades is a long time. Certainly, if one entertained doing so, the safety concern mentioned by Onandaga should be kept in mind.

God bless Jeff Cooper

Carpe SCOTCH!
Go to Top of Page

budlight
Advanced Member

USA
1659 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2017 :  01:57:24  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What kind of powder measure dump can even deal with big flake powder like Unique in small amounts? I tried Hiscore 800X and you end up with all kinds of dud rounds on any progressive and the same with Unique.

If you want to weigh each and every one..... like a dumb ........ I can't say the words for anyone advising the use of flake powder in a pistol round.

These are modern days and you don't have to be stuck in the 40 year old mind set

http://www.shootingtimes.com/files/2014/08/hodgdon_CFE_pistol_powder_comparison.jpg

Edited by - budlight on Sep 08 2017 01:59:48
Go to Top of Page

budlight
Advanced Member

USA
1659 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2017 :  02:14:59  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use Ramshot Silhouette for light weight rounds. Hodgdons longshot, ramshot enforcer and AA 4100.

Get up to date!
Go to Top of Page

Kosh75287
Advanced Member

USA
796 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2017 :  01:24:44  Show Profile Send Kosh75287 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For charge weights greater than 4.0 grains, Unique meters well enough to use in a most powder measures. I tried some accuracy tests in .38 Spl. with Unique & 158gr. LSWCs. Some friends and I threw 54 charges through a powder measure, and trickle-charged the same quantity (what a TEDIOUS ordeal!), at 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, & 5.0gr./Unique/158LSWC, then they were shot in a 5" S&W Model 27, a 6" Colt Python and a Scoped Marlin Lever-action carbine. Because the revolvers were owned by friends, I let each owner shoot rounds through their own revolver, since they were most likely to shoot best with it. I shot rounds through the carbine(which was owned by the guy who owned the Python, but we decided that shooter fatigue was a real issue). We all shot at 35 yards, from rest though we took turns shooting the extras from each set through the carbine at 50 yards.
took turns shooting some extras from the carbine.

We decided that we could KINDA tell some difference between the measure-thrown and hand-trickled 3.5/Unique/158gr. at 35 and 50 yards, but with all the other ones, there was either no difference between measure-thrown and hand-trickled, or the meter-thrown rounds shot tighter than the hand-trickled rounds.

Yes, there's a lot wrong with the experimental design and "analysis", but all three of us have used Unique before and years after this experiment. Almost without fail, charge weights of 4.0 grains and above work fine, and below 4.0 grains, sorta gets iffy.

God bless Jeff Cooper

Carpe SCOTCH!
Go to Top of Page

Kosh75287
Advanced Member

USA
796 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2017 :  13:55:00  Show Profile Send Kosh75287 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ADDENDUM:

I don't really LOVE flake powders over ball powders because I'm bitterly clinging to some nostalgic notion that the latter are bad, or somehow not suited for reloading. I use Unique because it is an excellent compromise between economy and versatility. I can reload almost any pistol caliber from .25 ACP to .44 Mag and get 85% of full performance (or more) from said cartridge, with Unique. Additionally, Unique seems to work in nearly all ranges of bullet weight for pistol rounds, unlike some ball powders (try finding data for 147gr. slugs in 9mm with WW231).

It can be used a rifle powder in many small and medium-capacity rifle cartridges to get usable and sometimes really stellar results with them, especially with cast projectiles. This is especially true of the Bee/Hornet rounds, the .32-20-based calibers.

I don't know if Unique is as versatile in shotguns, since I don't reload for them. I'm inclined to believe that it is, though. Very much the same can also be said of Unique's younger, slower-burning brother, Herco, which was initially released for use in high-brass, heavy shotgun applications. Herco is less ideal for the very small-capacity pocket-pistol rounds, but gives equal to somewhat better performance in the larger-capacity magnum pistol calibers.

Unique isn't the most economical, nor best-metering, nor cleanest-burning (this can be mitigated somewhat with slightly stouter loads & heavier crimps), of all propellants. But it is, without doubt, the most versatile I've yet seen. If I could find a ball powder that works as well as Unique in everything, I'd be tempted to switch to it. So far, I haven't seen it.

God bless Jeff Cooper

Carpe SCOTCH!

Edited by - Kosh75287 on Sep 09 2017 18:11:11
Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2851 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2017 :  14:07:32  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMR Unequal is supposed to be their version of Unique.

Also, VV N340 comes close to being as versatile, but I still have some calibers to try it in. I do know it is excellent in semi-autos that I have tried it in.

It is a very short grained extruded powder and works pretty good in dispensers such as the Uniflow. N340 burns cleaner than anything I have used and it produces no muzzle flash.
Go to Top of Page

Kosh75287
Advanced Member

USA
796 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2017 :  18:15:07  Show Profile Send Kosh75287 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All the VV powders have something of a loyal following in the D/FW area, but they're like 25% more expensive than the other brands. I saw IMR RED on sale at Cabella's for $19.99. If I can find IMR UNeQUal for that price, I'll test-drive it.

God bless Jeff Cooper

Carpe SCOTCH!

Edited by - Kosh75287 on Sep 09 2017 19:14:20
Go to Top of Page

budlight
Advanced Member

USA
1659 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2017 :  05:18:00  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What it really comes down to is how cheap you are. 7000 grains in a pound of powder. Buy cheap flakes intended for shotgun use or use some fine ball powder

Let's say you use 7 grains per round. That is 1000 rounds per pound. Or 10 grains and get 700 rounds

When you see a penny on the ground, do you bother to pick it up?
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
4690 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2017 :  07:20:10  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WonderMan4

IMR Unequal is supposed to be their version of Unique.

Also, VV N340 comes close to being as versatile, but I still have some calibers to try it in. I do know it is excellent in semi-autos that I have tried it in.

It is a very short grained extruded powder and works pretty good in dispensers such as the Uniflow. N340 burns cleaner than anything I have used and it produces no muzzle flash.

I will second this opinion of VV N340. I did try it in my S&W M57 and it did not perform well, but in all other calibers that I use it in, it is top notch (9mm, .38 SPL/.357 Mag, .45 AR, and .45 ACP). I am also going to be trying it in the .32-20 WCF soon.
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9125 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2017 :  09:33:15  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by budlight

What it really comes down to is how cheap you are. 7000 grains in a pound of powder. Buy cheap flakes intended for shotgun use or use some fine ball powder

Let's say you use 7 grains per round. That is 1000 rounds per pound. Or 10 grains and get 700 rounds

Don't assume that small flake fast burn powders were just developed for shotgun. They have been used in pistol rounds since smokeless was developed. They also meter just fine in my Lyman 55 or in my LEE (disc) measure. Ball powders do measure better than larger stick powders like 4831 and 3100 but they don't always perform as well. Has nothing to do with being cheap.
Go to Top of Page

budlight
Advanced Member

USA
1659 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2017 :  20:58:22  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shastaboat

quote:

Don't assume that small flake fast burn powders were just developed for shotgun. They have been used in pistol rounds since smokeless was developed. They also meter just fine in my Lyman 55 or in my LEE (disc) measure. Ball powders do measure better than larger stick powders like 4831 and 3100 but they don't always perform as well. Has nothing to do with being cheap.

We did a bunch of 357 on your Lyman with 800X flake power and I ended up with a bunch of primer only loads that I had to pound the stuck bullets out of the barrel. Then some had a hell of a bang because they got additional from the dud previous load. I said never again and I gave away all my Unique and 800X. I had to carry a rod and a hammer because I never knew when the next round would go POP instead of bang
Go to Top of Page

Kosh75287
Advanced Member

USA
796 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2017 :  22:23:44  Show Profile Send Kosh75287 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you plan to load only on a progressive, then ball powders are your friend. For the reasons you list above, I tend to avoid progressive presses.

Do you recall the charge weight you used with Unique when loading .357 Magnum with it on the progressive press?

And yes, I DO bother to pick up pennies on the ground. And aluminum cans, too, for very much the same reason. And if I use nothing but Unique (and I intend to get there soon) in pistols & shotguns, then I can buy it in larger quantities, for lower per-pound prices.

Same situation with H4895, IMR-4895, IMR-4064, Varget, or whatever other powder I plan to use to feed my .223, .308, .30-06, & 8x57mm Mauser rifles. Since I don't load any of them on progressives, if any of those propellants are ball powders, it's wasted effort for me, but I'll still use them.

God bless Jeff Cooper

Carpe SCOTCH!

Edited by - Kosh75287 on Sep 10 2017 22:35:04
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9125 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2017 :  11:33:08  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Shastaboat

quote:

We did a bunch of 357 on your Lyman with 800X flake power and I ended up with a bunch of primer only loads that I had to pound the stuck bullets out of the barrel. Then some had a hell of a bang because they got additional from the dud previous load. I said never again and I gave away all my Unique and 800X. I had to carry a rod and a hammer because I never knew when the next round would go POP instead of bang

That was on my LEE Pro1000 and you insisted on using bulky 800X. I've never used that powder. I think we were having problems with the powder measure.
Go to Top of Page

budlight
Advanced Member

USA
1659 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2017 :  18:54:04  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you recall the charge weight you used with Unique when loading .357 Magnum with it on the progressive press?

I was using Raineer 125 HP and I have some boxes left that Say 9.8 grain of Unique. it is a load I worked up and the velocity was not as high as other powders out of my Black Hawk 4 5/8th barrel. unique book has something like 9.6 max Just a nice plinking round no pressure signs
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06