Chronograph Pistols indoors not working
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zero333
Advanced Member

Canada
774 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2017 :  16:26:58  Show Profile Send Zero333 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I tried chronographing some 9mm Parabellum loads in a indoor shooting range and could not make it work.

Is there a trick ?

I tried with and without the shades, at 3 yards and 6 yards from muzzle.
Put fresh batteries just to be sure.

Chronograph is the RCBS Chrono. It works nicely outdoors with centerfire and rimfire rifles.

What can I do to make it work with out having to build a lighted box enclosure ?

Treat that trigger like itís your first date, not like youíve been married to it for 20 years.

RaySendero
Advanced Member

USA
628 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2017 :  18:02:53  Show Profile Send RaySendero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try moving it even farther away.

Ray

Edited by - RaySendero on Jul 24 2017 18:03:51
Go to Top of Page

caveman0101

USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2017 :  19:18:37  Show Profile Send caveman0101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chronos do not work with fluorescent lights, It has to be a bright filiment, most chrony makers have light bars that go where the shades go.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt" Lincoln/Twain
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9031 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2017 :  19:23:21  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caveman0101

Chronos do not work with fluorescent lights, It has to be a bright filiment, most chrony makers have light bars that go where the shades go.

+1
Go to Top of Page

ethmoid1999
Advanced Member

USA
4378 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2017 :  20:23:05  Show Profile Send ethmoid1999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good to know. Most of the indoor ranges I've been on are so busy it would be hard to even set up a chronograph.
Go to Top of Page

Zero333
Advanced Member

Canada
774 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2017 :  22:56:44  Show Profile Send Zero333 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info fellas. I'll look into those lights that mount on the shades.

The Range I'm a member at has a 24/7 indoor pistol range and I go later at night most of the time with my brother ad we find ourselves there alone the vast majority of the time.

During the day there is usually someone. If I decide to go during the day I check the website to make sure there is no activity like IDPA happening.
Members at my range (East Elgin Sportsman Association) get a membership RFID card that opens the front gate, the main clubhouse building and the indoor pistol range.

Treat that trigger like itís your first date, not like youíve been married to it for 20 years.

Edited by - Zero333 on Jul 24 2017 22:58:40
Go to Top of Page

ethmoid1999
Advanced Member

USA
4378 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2017 :  08:17:04  Show Profile Send ethmoid1999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a nice place to shoot.
Go to Top of Page

magman

71 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2017 :  10:43:47  Show Profile Send magman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
chronograph light sensors cant see bullet/shadow when there is too much direct light flooding the sensor eyes. Low light makes a shadow/dim light that the eye sensor cant see as the bullet passes. seeing the bullet pass breaks the light field that trips the sensors & time-of-flight clock - TOF. Indirect light, but not an excessive bright and a light that is not to low should allow the eye-sensors to sense/see the bullets shadow breaking the the lighted field it is seeing/sensing. This trips the TOF clock to give you the FPS shown on view screen. Direct bright sunlight blinds the sensor light, Flourescent light is a Hz cycling light source that jacks the eye sensors causing no reads caused from electronic sensor confusion. Steady incandesent filliment light should work indoors. you may have to position light for best results.
cheap, fast good You only get two of the three.
Good Luck & May you do well!
mm
Go to Top of Page

Zero333
Advanced Member

Canada
774 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2017 :  20:05:46  Show Profile Send Zero333 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by magman

chronograph light sensors cant see bullet/shadow when there is too much direct light flooding the sensor eyes. Low light makes a shadow/dim light that the eye sensor cant see as the bullet passes. seeing the bullet pass breaks the light field that trips the sensors & time-of-flight clock - TOF. Indirect light, but not an excessive bright and a light that is not to low should allow the eye-sensors to sense/see the bullets shadow breaking the the lighted field it is seeing/sensing. This trips the TOF clock to give you the FPS shown on view screen. Direct bright sunlight blinds the sensor light, Flourescent light is a Hz cycling light source that jacks the eye sensors causing no reads caused from electronic sensor confusion. Steady incandesent filliment light should work indoors. you may have to position light for best results.
cheap, fast good You only get two of the three.
Good Luck & May you do well!
mm

Thanks for your input magmen.

Next time I take the chrono with me to the indoor pistol range I'll try attaching some LED lights on the bottom of the shades.

I'm thinking something not too powerful but that fills the sensor with light all around, like a flat LED lamp with at least 24 LED's on each shade.

I've done a little searching and many folk have been successful with LED lamps.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06