Camo Paint
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ethmoid1999
Advanced Member

USA
4399 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2017 :  05:49:23  Show Profile Send ethmoid1999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My sixteen year old daughter wants a full camouflage rifle. I need camo on the stock, rifle, scope..everything. Who does this or can it be done with some of the stuff from Brownell's? Thank you, Mike

mtmuley
Advanced Member

USA
1817 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2017 :  09:03:10  Show Profile Send mtmuley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.camo-solutions.com/ Sounds like hydro dipping will be your best bet. There are also kits available to do it yourself. Or you could try your hand wth spray paint. Krylon Fusion is good stuff. mtmuley
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
4694 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2017 :  09:19:59  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.tarjac.com/

Had a complete shotgun done by these guys )except for the stock, that's a Boyd's Pioneer camo laminate) about 10 years ago. Phenomenal job and very customer friendly. They will pretty much hydro-dip anything. Be aware of the disclaimer on the scopes, some of them do not handle being dipped too well.

Edited by - Hockeynick39 on Jul 09 2017 09:23:46
Go to Top of Page

Kosh75287
Advanced Member

USA
797 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2017 :  12:02:01  Show Profile Send Kosh75287 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hockeynick, I love, LOVE, LOVE that wood pattern on the buttstock! It's always appealed to me, though I've yet to own a firearm with it. Someday, though.

God bless Jeff Cooper

Carpe SCOTCH!

Edited by - Kosh75287 on Jul 09 2017 12:02:40
Go to Top of Page

ethmoid1999
Advanced Member

USA
4399 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2017 :  19:16:07  Show Profile Send ethmoid1999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That looks really good. I am thinking I might ruin a good rifle doing it myself and the custom guys aren't cheap. The rifle she saw was at an NRA banquet. It was a W
Savage with the mounted scope and all camoed. I may look for one of those. I see lots of camo stocks,a few camoed complete rifles so I may look into to one of those. Personally, I feel more attracted to wood but my plastic guns have served very well. Thanks for that info, mtmuley.
Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2851 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2017 :  20:11:14  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They have some very nice looking patterns at Camo Solutions.

BUT, the website says they are not taking any orders due to their heavy workload.

I guess when you're good, every one wants some.
Go to Top of Page

ethmoid1999
Advanced Member

USA
4399 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2017 :  08:09:17  Show Profile Send ethmoid1999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw that they weren't taking orders. They must be very popular.
Go to Top of Page

mikld
Advanced Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2017 :  13:36:14  Show Profile Send mikld a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cringe when I think of painting a blued rifle action/barrel, but that's just me (life long machinist mechanic). I would either paint the stock (or purchase an already camo'ed synthetic stock) and wrap the barrel with camo tape...https://www.google.com/search?q=camo+tape&oq=camo+tape&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.3450j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Vocatus atque non vocatus, Dues aderit.
At least I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2851 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2017 :  15:42:59  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
....and wrap the barrel with camo tape...

That thought makes me cringe and prolly would look very crappy, at least in my mind.
Go to Top of Page

mtmuley
Advanced Member

USA
1817 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2017 :  19:43:35  Show Profile Send mtmuley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've done the tape on my waterfowl guns before. Works, but it's ugly. mtmuley

Edited by - mtmuley on Jul 10 2017 19:44:16
Go to Top of Page

mikld
Advanced Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2017 :  11:47:56  Show Profile Send mikld a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like many gun finishes, if it's applied sloppy, it will look sloppy/crappy. I would hate to cover up a decent blue job with a dull paint or a "dip", but then again I like steel and wood guns. Guns used to be precision, finely machined/fitted tools, now many are plastic, mass produced machines that shoot a bullet downrange and little else. No soul......

Vocatus atque non vocatus, Dues aderit.
At least I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06