Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9000 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2017 :  06:48:36  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Willie T, you might want to try IMR 4064 in your 22" tube and see how it does.
Go to Top of Page

magman

67 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2017 :  12:58:35  Show Profile Send magman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shot & tried all powders. Best FOR my 270 win 130gr is H4831SC-short cut. Same ragged hole at 100yd and groups in 1/2" 250 yd. Shoots all 130gr bullets in same group. Best bullet is Nosler! E-Tip & Barnes shoot the best. Keep that barrel clean, use a foam cleaner & Clean clean clean it!
Cheap, Fast, Good - You only get Two Of The Three!
mm
Go to Top of Page

Willie T
Average Member

136 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2017 :  13:56:11  Show Profile Send Willie T a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shasta, thanks. More good info! It is a helpful group of shooters on this site, and as always, I appreciate all the replies. Your results mirror mine except my chrono showed velocity 40-60 fps slower across the board. Probably a function of barrel length. IMR 4064 is one of the powders I have tried. This Ruger is a stubborn old pig. It will make the velocity, but doesn't want to shoot well when it is much north of 3,000 fps so far. Sounds like budlight may be on to something worth looking into.

Willie T---Lone Star State
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9000 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2017 :  19:05:47  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Willie T, Yeah the 22" vs 24" would account for the loss in velocity with same loads. That's why I think you might like to try 4064 as it is faster than 4350. I used to shoot Nosler Solid Base before they redesigned it as the E-tip. As for your Ruger 77, make sure the from tang angled screw is tight, then simply screw the back two action screws in evenly till they bottom. Also I have found that free floating the forearm generally tightens groups up.
Go to Top of Page

Willie T
Average Member

136 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2017 :  19:47:11  Show Profile Send Willie T a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shasta, I have it grouping with 4350. It's a lefty like me and I bought it cheap cause it shot like crap. When I took the stock off, the pressure point was making contact on one side only. I sanded it out and opened up the barrel channel. While I had it apart I did some inletting with my dremel and put a timney in it and bedded the action. 55 grains of IMR 4350 under a 130 SGK shot 3 into .586. I loaded 5 more and chrono'd them at 3014. Those five went into .597". It's a solid load. I am trying to see if I can get it up around 3100 and MOA. I can get the velocity but groups blow out to around 2". I shot the 4451 and 56.5 grains netted 3121 fps with no pressure. Group size was around 2.25" @ 100. When I can get by my LGS I may pick up some 100V. Right now it would seem the neighborhood of 3000fps is where I may end up.

Willie T---Lone Star State
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9000 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2017 :  13:24:34  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Willie T. I've had the same experience with all 4 Ruger 77's I have. The barrels generally make contact with the barrel channel on one side or both. Free floating and correct action tightening is generally the trick as you found too. I was able to go up to 57.5 gr of 4350 but your 55 gr load is probably the more accurate. Keep us posted on the H100V. I have a brand new 8# container of H4350 so I really don't want to go out and buy H100V but I might if it beats the accuracy of 4350 in my (2) Ruger 77 Tang .257 Roberts rifles.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06