Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2851 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2017 :  14:03:38  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought a Savage Axis 308 Win back late last year to give my BIL for his retirement present.

Hadn't done much with it other than mount scope, bore sight, install sling, and rework the trigger.

I thought for grins that I would scope the barrel to get an idea of what I was working with. I was very surprised as to what I found.

I sent some pictures to Savage, and now they want the rifle back.

These tool marks run the entire length of the barrel beginning at the throat.

I have a new Vanguard in the safe that I haven't done anything with as yet, so I scoped it just out of curiosity. It is as smooth as a baby's butt.

Edited by - WonderMan4 on Jun 12 2017 14:06:43

luvrifles
Advanced Member

USA
937 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2017 :  15:46:27  Show Profile Send luvrifles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they want it back then they see a problem that they will look at. Send it back.

So many different rifles,so little time
Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2851 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2017 :  15:49:59  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dropped it off at UPS about an hour ago.
Go to Top of Page

luvrifles
Advanced Member

USA
937 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2017 :  15:53:35  Show Profile Send luvrifles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hopefully they will do well for you.

So many different rifles,so little time
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9125 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2017 :  20:22:37  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like the KelTec 9mm Sub 2000 I bought new last fall. I sent it back to KelTec twice and finally they replaced the barrel but it's still a bit rough.
Go to Top of Page

Paul B
Advanced Member

3969 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2017 :  12:29:27  Show Profile Send Paul B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a Winchester M70 FWT that had a barrel like that. Twenty rounds down the tube and it would be so fouled with copper that accuracy was gone. Did a reduced method of firelapping and it's just fine now. Accuracy is now sub-MOA with everything I run through it provided I do my part.
Paul B.
Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2851 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2017 :  12:47:27  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did take it to the range last week just to see how it would do.

It shot great with one load of IMR4320 and one load of RL15 both shooting about a 3/4" group.

I limited it to 15 shots, then brought it home and put the bore scope on it again.

It was fouled like crazy with one section having a 10" long streak of copper on one side. There was copper thru almost all of the barrel but that one streak was the worse.

That's when I decided to send the pics to Savage with questions.

One of the girls contacted me maybe 9 days or so later and asked me to send it back. She emailed me a pre-paid UPS shipping label and all I had to do was take off the scope, box it up and drop it off at UPS.

I did clean it after the range trip. Two treatments of Sharp Shoot R Wipe Out foaming bore cleaner with the Accelerator had it cleaner that it was new out of the box.
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9125 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2017 :  14:23:40  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm planning to firelap my KelTec soon too. I do believe that it will clean up like Paul's Mod. 70. It's just a shame that quality control has gone so far down on US manufactured items.
Go to Top of Page

Zero333
Advanced Member

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2017 :  00:09:04  Show Profile Send Zero333 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had many Savages with barrels like that and they all shot good.

Sure they coppered and were harder to clean but for a hunting rifle I don't mind as long as it will hold sub-moa.

Treat that trigger like itís your first date, not like youíve been married to it for 20 years.
Go to Top of Page

Rapier
Advanced Member

USA
794 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2017 :  12:46:26  Show Profile Send Rapier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No doubt John Browning is worn round as a telephone pole and smooth as a billiard ball from rolling over and over and over.
Ed

Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!"
Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2851 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2017 :  21:02:52  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am sure you prolly did, but when part of the lands looks like a damn mill file, I won't have nuttin' to do with it.

Zero, did you bore scope all of them??
Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2851 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  01:28:46  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The lady at Savage told me the rifle was completed on 8/11. I haven't seen it yet. They never sent me a tracking number neither did they notify me that it was complete until I called, waited 12 minutes for my call to be answered. When I talked to the Savage lady, she said the computer was down and couldn't give me a tracking number. Damn the bad luck.

I wonder how she looked up the status of the job if the computers were down??
Go to Top of Page

Zero333
Advanced Member

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2017 :  17:38:36  Show Profile Send Zero333 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WonderMan4

quote:

I am sure you prolly did, but when part of the lands looks like a damn mill file, I won't have nuttin' to do with it.

Zero, did you bore scope all of them??

I scoped the ones I have with the lyman borescope and they all have button chatter. The one's with higher round count had less chatter than the newer ones making me think it wears down after lots of shooting.

But the barrels always shoot the same from new to old regardless of how much chatter they have.

Treat that trigger like itís your first date, not like youíve been married to it for 20 years.
Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2851 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2017 :  22:25:36  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
UPS delivered the rifle today. As soon as I unboxed it, I stuck the scope down the barrel. Images appear a little better than the other barrel, but the appearance of stains are in the damn thing. The chamber looks a little rougher than I like too.

I don't know how many rounds they shoot out of it at the factory, but there was one streak of copper that was maybe 4" long that was on top of one of the lands. Prolly another area that looks like a mill file as in the original barrel.

I guess after thoughts are telling me that I could have saved 2 1/2 months of waiting if I would have simply lapped the barrel myself and left Savage out of it. That is the way it is gonna wind up after all.

I could live with the chatter marks, but not the roughness. I will order an 800 grit Flex-Hone and polish the chamber then start on the barrel lapping.

Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2851 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2017 :  20:22:52  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just started working on it today and taking chamber measurements.

Turns out that the new barrel is 0.005" shorter from bolt face to lands than the original barrel was.

After fire lapping this week I can start load development next week with help from the weather gurus and mother nature.

I will start with a bullet seating to give a 0.025" jump to lands. Wish I had more room in the chamber, but we got what we got.
Go to Top of Page

Zero333
Advanced Member

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2017 :  07:19:05  Show Profile Send Zero333 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With short freebore rifles I prefer to start load development at the lands (kissing or a few thou in). Get my optimal charge weight tested and then the seating depth testing.

Always worked for me.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06