New forum closing down
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

morten
Administrator

Norway
659 Posts

Posted - May 09 2017 :  05:02:51  Show Profile  Visit morten's Homepage  Click to see morten's MSN Messenger address Send morten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The new forum that was launched a while ago, still remains alongside this “old forum”. The intentions was to provide the same content and functionality, but move the forum to a current, maintained and updated forum platform. Also the hardware the forum was hosted on needed badly a replacement.
However, now after some months running but forums in parallel, I’m inclined to abandon the new forum solution. In my experience, it hasn’t been trouble-free and it still looks to be a honeypot for spammers. All counter-measures added, doesn’t prevent spam and spammers getting through.

The jump from an ASP/MSSQL (Windows) environment to a PHP/MySQL (Linux) environment has been challenging too. Every time I do an upgrade, adds a patch or security fix, there seems to be a 10% chance of something that breaks and I’m left with the option to roll back the update, or spend days trying to fix it. It’s not because of poor quality or design, but rather my missing knowledge and experience on the solution.
Due to this I’m for now suspending the “new forum” and I will need some time to think over what options I have for the future.
Thanks for helping me out with all the testing and constructive feedback.

Btw, nothing will be deleted, but rather saved for future re-use, conversion to a new format, or upgraded to a viable future-proof solution.

Morten

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
8997 Posts

Posted - May 10 2017 :  12:12:32  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for hanging in there.
Go to Top of Page

ethmoid1999
Advanced Member

USA
4374 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  21:50:38  Show Profile Send ethmoid1999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Morten, thank you! I appreciate your work. You have the best reloading site that has ever existed. We all need to try and save it.
Go to Top of Page

MIKESBARRO
Advanced Member

USA
3163 Posts

Posted - May 12 2017 :  14:08:55  Show Profile Send MIKESBARRO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ethmoid1999

Morten, thank you! I appreciate your work. You have the best reloading site that has ever existed. We all need to try and save it.

+1

Awards are like hemmoroids......if you live long enough, every asshole gets one.
Go to Top of Page

mikld
Advanced Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - May 12 2017 :  14:20:37  Show Profile Send mikld a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your work. I don't think I could handle all the problems of running a forum, so thanks...

Vocatus atque non vocatus, Dues aderit.
At least I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Go to Top of Page

Dom

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - May 18 2017 :  09:23:06  Show Profile Send Dom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for update Morten, and for all your hard work in keeping the 'Nest operational.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom
Go to Top of Page

Rapier
Advanced Member

USA
792 Posts

Posted - May 18 2017 :  15:49:50  Show Profile Send Rapier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really appreciate the long hours, money from your pocket and time you have spent away from your family and other things you want to do, over the years. I know it sometimes feels like a thankless task without appreciation, but do not be discouraged, the older guys here know you have worked long hours to keep this dream alive through the hackers and spammers, equipment failures, power outages, plus those not so patient at times. We all appreciate a site for us to come to and enjoy.
Thank You.
Ed

Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06