General forum
 Poll, Which progressive press is best
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Quillgordo

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2017 :  12:46:01  Show Profile Send Quillgordo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm finally going to make the plunge. Friends have Dillon. I hear good things about Hornady, RCBS etc.
I am a casual shooter but want to shoot more.
Mostly 9mm, 45 acp, maybe even some 223.
What is the consensus, if there is such a thing.

David Craig Josephson

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
4041 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2017 :  18:14:45  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quillgordo

There are no horrible progressive presses or dies in current production. Where you will run into dissatisfaction is by not understanding the the press features, the instructions and the use of the press you buy. Just watching internet videos is not enough to learn to operate a progressive press. You can easily view press manufacturer instruction manuals online. Consider selecting your press based on your understanding the instructions completely.

Casual shooters should specifically consider the loading rate of the press you select. If you plan on loading less than 200 rounds at a sitting regularly, a progressive press is an entertainment/prestige toy.

Gary

Fine rifles are never really owned.
Go to Top of Page

DUSTY NOGGIN
Advanced Member

USA
768 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2017 :  22:41:18  Show Profile Send DUSTY NOGGIN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
blue
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9148 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2017 :  09:53:46  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the cost, you can't beat LEE's Pro 1000. You can buy two setups cheaper than other brands. They load all calibers you specified. I have one setup with small primers and one setup with large primers. I also have a collet head for each caliber. I can do a complete caliber change in less than 5 minutes.
Go to Top of Page

drunkenpoacher
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2017 :  08:25:57  Show Profile Send drunkenpoacher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My only progressive press experience is with my LNL. It is a good press and Hornady CS is great.
Go to Top of Page

noylj
Advanced Member

USA
553 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2017 :  14:59:44  Show Profile Send noylj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you don't need a case collator, get the Hornady. Great ergonomics and easy to use and change calibers.
If you feel you need a case collator, get a Dillon 650.
If you want the "best," get a Dillon 1050.
Any progressive press with less than five die stations is crippled. Any progressive press without auto indexing is crippled.

Then said he unto them; But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Luke 22:36
Go to Top of Page

Hairtrigger

290 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2017 :  15:13:17  Show Profile Send Hairtrigger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any progressive press with less than five die stations is crippled. Any progressive press without auto indexing is crippled

Well said

I am one gun away from happy
Go to Top of Page

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
4041 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2017 :  17:48:31  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quillgordo

I bet I shoot and load a lot more than most here on the forum. I shoot cast bullets and keep track of how much alloy I buy and how many bullets I get per pound by the grain. I use an average of 100 pounds of alloy a year. There is 7,000 grains in a pound and that is a lot of bullets.

I don't need a progressive press. I do have a progressive with a shell collator, the Lee Pro 1,000 is a basic fully progressive with only 3 stations so I size/trim every 4 cycles on another press. I don't shoot that high volume in .223 anymore as I stopped shooting full auto over 5 years ago. The Lee Pro 1,000 is boxed up now and I use a Lee Classic Cast Turret for all my calibers. I can switch calibers in less than 2 minutes with extra die loaded and setup turrets. Primer size change and fill up take 1 minute with the Lee Safety Prime option too. I can easily coast at about 100 rounds an hour and make match quality ammo in any caliber I load, that is why I don't need a progressive at all.

Gary

Fine rifles are never really owned.

Edited by - Onondaga on Mar 25 2017 17:52:04
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06