Forgot almost all about reloading
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

UlicniTrkac

28 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2017 :  01:30:36  Show Profile Send UlicniTrkac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know WonderMan :) I am aware of the danger of the gas port position, thats why I always wear eye protection when target shooting. When hunting no, only one or two round gets fired, and I put total of three in my magazine when on a hunt.

I made a few bushings for neck sizing my brass in two steps, and also got a proper press. Still waiting on primer pocket uniformers, and some nice weather to go out on the range to test my new stock :)

A friend of mine did scope rings lapping yesterday for me, we have it lined up nicely. I have checked for that 1/32 relief on the tang spot, its there. Now, I am thinking about doing some epoxy bedding, but I am not sure should I do it right away, or to wait some, for things to settle in.

One more thing about press, Lee Classic Cast has that priming attachment (until now I was priming using Lee Ergo prime) and I get mixed info on the web on how good it is - I am interested in your thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9122 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2017 :  15:15:08  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When you do glass bed the second stock, use some of the epoxy bedding to glue in the chip on the first stock. Remove the chip by sliding it out forward or backwards which ever way it will go easily and then slide it back in the same way it came out. Let the bedding ooze out and dry fully. You can then sand the excess off and relieve the tang 1/32" if you use the stock on another Mauser98 action.

Edited by - Shastaboat on Mar 03 2017 15:17:35
Go to Top of Page

UlicniTrkac

28 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2017 :  01:48:24  Show Profile Send UlicniTrkac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I ll try that.

Can you give me a piece of advice? I have a RCBS Gold medal seater die for my 6.5x47 with apropriate bushing, and I have a RCBS Competition seater die for 8 mm. Both bushings fit into one or another die, so I was considering using the 8 mm one in gold medal seater die - is this doable?
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9122 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2017 :  11:58:57  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although I don't use neck sizing bushing dies, I have seen dies and bushings made by different companies and the bushings all fit the various neck sizing dies of their competitors. I've always thought bushings were for sizing and bullet seating stems are for seating. Am I missing something? If you are referring to seating stems and they are both the same thread, there should be no problem changing them.
Go to Top of Page

UlicniTrkac

28 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2017 :  16:08:53  Show Profile Send UlicniTrkac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
uh, maybe the pic will explain better

Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9122 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2017 :  17:06:35  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I thought. You are talking about a micrometer seating die. Not a bushing die which is a sizing die. I bet if you measure the die bodies, they are exactly the same. What you are calling a bushing is the part that designates what caliber you are loading. I guess you can call it a caliber specific bushing that is used for a specific caliber shell length. Also why is the die so oily?

Here is a site that shows you sizing bushings. http://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=bushing+sizing+die&userItemsPerPage=48

If you click on the items you will see that they come in a multitude of neck diameters.
Go to Top of Page

UlicniTrkac

28 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2017 :  19:02:45  Show Profile Send UlicniTrkac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for pointing this out - English isnt my native, so I can get it wrong some times :)
caliber specific bushing it is :) they are oily because I havent used them at all and I got them 4 years ago, so I went up and oiled/cleaned them.
Bodies are the same, but the seating system isnt (the upper part) both do have micrometers, but one have this c-clip part (gold medal one), and the other doesnt, that one has just the stem that is "one" with micrometer.
Also, caliber specific bushings fit into one another, and I wanted to use the c-clip stem with caliber specific bushing from other die. I believe it is doable, just wanted to check with you fellas about it before trying it out.
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9122 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2017 :  14:54:39  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you figured it out now. Your English is excellent! Wish we could get all our illegal aliens to do as well.
Go to Top of Page

UlicniTrkac

28 Posts

Posted - May 04 2017 :  16:54:23  Show Profile Send UlicniTrkac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Done some researching with several bullets that I have on hand. I got the Lee collet die for my Mauser, and I am very satisfied with the results that I'm getting with it, for such a low price :)
I used some data that I could find for N140 powder for Accubond, Match king and two PPU (Prvi Partizan) bullets - Accubond and Matchking are 200 grains, and PPU - both PSP BT and HP BT are 175 grains.
I developed the loads, but according to QuickLoad pressures on those most accurate loads were off the roof! In real life, I didnt have no high pressure signs on my cases, nor the sticky bolt at any time. Nevertheless I wont go over these, for safety reasons.
Any way, Accubond got me this result on 100 meters, from shooting rest, with 49,9 grains N140 (oal 81.70 mm - we use metric system, and for oal I always use millimeters, but for powder and bullet weight I use grains)

With Matchking, almost the same load gave best result - 49.8 grains of N140, oal 80 mm

PPU PSP BT - this is my hunting load for now, it is cheap and available, and its more than I need for hunting - with 49.8 grains of N140, oal 77 mm

PPU HP BT - it needs a fine tune, but its close - 49.9 grains, with same oal as PSP - 77 mm

I cant find the paper where I wrote down the speeds measured with Chrony, but these were quite fast. Im not sure is it OK to post the game I hunted in previous weeks here.

Also I had the stock bedded, it really helped with grouping tighter!

Edited by - UlicniTrkac on May 04 2017 17:44:52
Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2846 Posts

Posted - May 05 2017 :  10:20:48  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Im not sure is it OK to post the game I hunted in previous weeks here.

It is absolutely OK to post game pictures.
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9122 Posts

Posted - May 05 2017 :  12:00:28  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WonderMan4

quote:
Im not sure is it OK to post the game I hunted in previous weeks here.

It is absolutely OK to post game pictures.

+1
Go to Top of Page

UlicniTrkac

28 Posts

Posted - May 05 2017 :  14:03:43  Show Profile Send UlicniTrkac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got three this year. All were shot from 150-180 yards away, first while stalking, second from the stand and third while searching through the fields with a off road wehicle.

First one, I was aiming for a high shoulder, but I placed a shot on the lower neck. Down on the spot (they all are, no movement at all, not even a jump)

exit wound

Second one was the furthest, and he got it in the high shoulder. It seems it didnt hit no bones so meat damage was minimal

Third one, I was aiming for the neck, and hit it spot on. No damage on the meat, cut the spine in half. No wound pics sorry

And this charming fellow, that would be me :D (yes, one holding the rifle LOL)

Edited by - UlicniTrkac on May 05 2017 14:04:11
Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2846 Posts

Posted - May 05 2017 :  14:39:22  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It appears that you have a sweet shootin' 8 on your hands. What species are the deer?

By looking at the terrain, there is potential for some long shots.

I started shooting the 8x57 back in November 1962. It was my first rifle. Nowadays, kids can't have firearms unless accompanied by an adult.

Edited by - WonderMan4 on May 05 2017 14:42:10
Go to Top of Page

UlicniTrkac

28 Posts

Posted - May 05 2017 :  16:22:35  Show Profile Send UlicniTrkac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those are western or European roe deer. Last hunt was in Vojvodina, its flat, agricultural land, and from what I ve seen next time I go there I ll have to mount a scope with larger magnification, in order to shoot on 300+ yards - on that terrain its rather hard to get close to them without scaring them off.
First two were harvested in eastern Serbia (near Djerdap dam) - that terrain is quite opposite to one Vojvodina - hills and valleys, lots of woods and grass fields - and one can get closer to them, even on 100 yards or so. I even had the "Close Encounter of the Third Kind" there, two roebucks walking only 10 yards away from me (one chasing another). It was hilarious - my reaction at least, like the cartoon character, rifle spinning in my hands while yelling "yikes" - and of course I missed lol.
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9122 Posts

Posted - May 05 2017 :  23:29:38  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A 170 gr bullet in 8x57 is way to heavy for that size deer. Use 150 gr. The 170's are fine for elk 600-800 lbs. The 150 and scope compo is good for 2950 fps and will fully penetrate your size deer. A 170 gr bullet may not expand.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06