General forum
 Primer question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jjmiller

USA
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2017 :  05:09:20  Show Profile Send jjmiller a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Gents. I've been handloading handgun cartridges for decades .357 and 44 magnum specifically. Sold the Gp100 and the Super Redhawk and now I'm set up for 9mm. I have oodles of CCI magnum small pistol primers and would like to use 'em up with 9mm. I know this has been a topic before but I've never seen one with a solid conclusion. I've fired a few primer only shells in both of my pistols to be sure they had enough strike for the thicker cup on the the magnum primers, no issue there. Has anyone with a chronogragh tested the difference they make in a 9mm load? I'm looking for actual experience based input. Most of what I make are practice loads with plated lead bullets so I keep them under 1200FPS. Are these primers significantly hotter or is it just the cup strength that make them different?

Any experiences?
JJ

Jeremy Miller

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
8905 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2017 :  11:47:26  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Use them up. Some standard primers are actually hotter than magnum primers. If you are worried, then just use a mid range load. You will never notice the difference.
Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2762 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2017 :  12:18:18  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What powder are you using?

I'll second the "use them up".

Sometimes I run out of CCI 500s and resort to using CCI 550s with no problems what ever. Please note that the "fastest" powder that I have used is Unique. I use VV N340 almost exclusively in the 9mm.

The mag primer has a little primer mix in the cup to give it a tad more burn than a standard.
Go to Top of Page

noylj
Advanced Member

USA
548 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2017 :  11:37:26  Show Profile Send noylj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As long as you are working up the load, and not simply using the magnum primer in an existing load, go for it.
You may lose some accuracy, but that is the only "problem."
The old "rule of thumb" was if you wanted to replace a magnum primer in a load that used standard primers, you reduced the charge weight by 2% and worked it back up.
In reality, generally you won't see any effect (though where will be an effect on pressure and velocity) unless you are instrumented to look for it.

Then said he unto them; But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Luke 22:36
Go to Top of Page

jjmiller

USA
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2017 :  08:29:56  Show Profile Send jjmiller a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanx for the replies guys. Before I could implement your advice, a local bought the magnum primers from me so I don't feel compelled to use them now.

Thanx again.
JJ

Jeremy Miller
Go to Top of Page

bk63

22 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2017 :  01:12:33  Show Profile Send bk63 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Sold the Gp100 and the Super Redhawk and now I'm set up for 9mm" Why????

Edited by - bk63 on Feb 18 2017 01:14:08
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06