What is the best 223 cased round
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

budlight
Advanced Member

USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  16:28:26  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking about hog hunting in Texas and use an ar-15 platform. I can buy any of these 20 inch barrels abd RCBS reloading dies. I downloaded some videos of the 25-45 sharps and it was taking them out.

The choices are:

6mmX45
25X45 sharps
6.5 TCU
7mm TCU
300 AAC blackout

I kinda ruled out 6mm because for the bullet weight you don't get that much more speed over the same weight in .224 cal bullets

I kinda ruled out 300AAC blackout because I've shot them and they are more for suppressed short range

I've owned and hunted with a 7mm TCU, I still have some rounds and with 120 grain you have a great round even in the 14 inch pistol

What is every one's thoughts?

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2724 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  17:33:32  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Contrary to what you eliminated, I would stick with the 6x45.

Velocities are better than any of the others with 100 gr bullets.
Go to Top of Page

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
3903 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  18:32:47  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
budlight

If you already have the 300 Blackout and reload with 30 cal flat nose jacketed 30-30 bullets, they drop hogs good when loaded up good for velocity.
However, the 50 Beowolf in AR platform works better.

Gary

Fine rifles are never really owned.
Go to Top of Page

magman

61 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  23:27:12  Show Profile Send magman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BudLight,
TEXAS feral hogs and all wild feral hogs are very early morning and late evening arrivers. Feral hogs are not curious and will vacate the area for no reason, Feral hogs are very tough and hard to DRT. Shpt placement must be above the shoulders in the neck & preferably in the EAR / CRAINUM for any caliber used. Texas alows hunting at any time 24/7/365 but you must have a valid TPWD hunting license which is sold & available almost everywhere in Texas & onlinew. Small Feral pig/hogs usally DRT with shots in the chest cavity, but may run until they expire, & that may be into the woods, you may not recover a wounded feral hog unless a mortaly wounded.
You may not get a shot more then 200 yds unless bait - corn or food is within your hunting area. You wont see hogs driving in a vehicle & hoping to bag one. Hogs are smart & Have a very keen nose for smell in all things natural and unnatural. BIG Feral Hogs Have NO PREDATORS except for Copper/Lead Bullets in the ear/crainum.
Big Boar Feral hogs useally wont survive Magnum Bullet loads, Expect all sounder/group pigs to vacate the area on the first shot! Pigs aint dumb they will run.
An AR in any caliber is DRT if shot placement is in neck-crainum/ear,
I have hunted with 308 & 556 AR's & usally only get about TWO shots before they are OUTTA HERE!
Young feral pigs to 150lbs are easy to DRT with any bullet in Vitals. Big Boars NEED Magnum Bullets to penetrate the 2 inch thick shoulder skin. I hope you choose a big bore heavy bullet In an AR. such as the 6,8, 458, or 6.5Grendel.
Feral Hog Hunting Aint That easy, Hogs are too spooky and are always a moving target even when feeding on bait/corn.
Good luck
Hope you get the AR that suits your need!
May you do well.
Cheap, Fast Good You only get Two!
BIG BORES FOR BIG BOARS
magman
Go to Top of Page

magman

61 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  23:50:54  Show Profile Send magman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look at reloaders nest Hunting/small gamehuntung/22-250 for hogs for more insight on Hogs Bullets AR & good bad and ugly!
posted by JORDON sept 07, 2013
good info & hog huntin!
Look at jump to at bottom right of this page.
Go to Top of Page

Zero333
Advanced Member

Canada
686 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2017 :  01:39:56  Show Profile Send Zero333 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the 5.56/223, bullet selection is going to make up for it's other shortcomings...

So I kinda figure the 62gr Barnes TTSX in the 5.56 would hold it's own against 200 lb piggies.

Treat that trigger like itís your first date, not like youíve been married to it for 20 years.
Go to Top of Page

budlight
Advanced Member

USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2017 :  02:38:36  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only used my 270 win on hogs. From stands and feeders. I was thinking about semi auto and laser illumination and scope this time. I'll probably have the 270 win along.

WonderMan4. You always have to compare apples with apples. You can't look up data on a 300 AAC blackout with a 16 inch barrel and compare it to 6X45 with a 24 and then a TCU with only a 14 inch. Then another problem is 100 grain is too long for a 6X45 6.5 and 7mm TCU shine with 120 grain and 300 BO is more suited to 150 grain. The 25X45 sharps with 87 or 100 grain might be fun

If the case is all the same size with about a 28 grains max powder load the bigger diameters will create more foot pounds of energy with the same 20 inch barrel that I intend to buy.

I already own a nice 243 win, so a 6mmX45 is not high on my list when 80 grain is about the top round loadable and I can do 80 grain out of my 24 inch 223 wylde at the same velocity.

As to using barns X 62 grain bullets. I already have 62 grain FMJ and AP. Either one would be good for head shots. The AP go through disk brake rotors at the range.... so Mr. Piggy doesn't have a chance.

I'm a feral hog hunter now. When I was young I did the Russian boar hunting in Hawaii and they are tough and mean. We used the Ruger 44mag semi auto rifle and colt 45 pistols. Always DRT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8qzd-ezh-k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFrYklOUXgc

Edited by - budlight on Feb 01 2017 02:56:55
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
4618 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2017 :  08:39:28  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try the 25x45 Sharps. Seems pretty interesting. Also for barrels, try these guys out: http://columbiariverarms.com/configure-your-custom-barrel/. I have 2 Blackhole Weaponry P3 polygonal barrels one in 6.5 PCC and the other in 6x45mm. Both barrels are 18 inch and are very accurate.
Go to Top of Page

budlight
Advanced Member

USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2017 :  11:26:58  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hockeynick39

Try the 25x45 Sharps. Seems pretty interesting. Also for barrels, try these guys out: http://columbiariverarms.com/configure-your-custom-barrel/. I have 2 Blackhole Weaponry P3 polygonal barrels one in 6.5 PCC and the other in 6x45mm. Both barrels are 18 inch and are very accurate.

columbia river is out of 25X45 and I would tend to say that they probably buy and then just markup the sharps barrel.

Was I correct in saying that 80 grain is about the top length for 6mmX45?

The 6.5 pcc and TCU are the same thing and it is a good choice because the case length does not have to be changed like the 7.62X40 WT which i also researched.

http://store.srcarms.com/category-s/1827.htm

http://rifleshooter.com/2014/11/6-5-patriot-combat-cartridge-6-5-pcc-6-5mm-wildcat-for-the-ar15m-16/

Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2724 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2017 :  13:49:37  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
WonderMan4. You always have to compare apples with apples.

I agree. The thing you left out is that you can make the 100s work in a 6mm if you throat the chamber to fit them. No sacrificed case capacity.

The heavier bullets in the 6mm will have a good sectional density which is important as you know.

In my experiences pigs ain't that hard to kill if you use an appropriate bullet that will penetrate. I have seen more pigs in daylight hours than I have in the dark.

They are wary, have a keen sense of smell and hearing.....something in the nature of 4 times more sensitive that a dog.

I haven't shot one in several years, but in the past, a 22LR even did them in, although it is not my first choice.

I am always an advocate of heavy bullets, and use them quite often for hunting. I prefer to ventilate the game...one in and one out.

There are thousands of guy and gals using the 223 for hog hunting I guess just because it is a very popular round and has virtually no recoil.

Lastly, if you can get 2400 fps out of a 14" barrel, you can get more from a longer one and you know this as well as you like the long barrels going by your previous posts.

No matter which one of your choices you pick, they will all be good for your intended purposes.
Go to Top of Page

budlight
Advanced Member

USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2017 :  22:54:40  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I pulled the trigger on the 25X45 sharps with a 20 inch stainless barrel. RCBS reloading dies were about $90 and the barrel was about $240 Something like $20 for Sharps clips. I already have a 257 Roberts AI and lots of 87 and 100 Grain bullets to load and a chronograph

I have a donor 20 inch SS 20 inch 223 heavy fluted that I never really liked. so all I have to do is take the barrel off and start loading. I can do the same thing in the future for a 6.5 or 7mm. what did get my interest was the 6.8mm or .277 by 45mm dies and barrels are very custom. I just have to start saving my pennies

I read so much on every round about barrel length of all these and the sad thing is so many are just using old powders like H335 when you can use modern stuff that has less pressure and and a longer pressure wave in time instead of a peak short duration spike. leverrevolution, CFE 223, superformance. W748

The foot pound of energy is so much greater because you are pushing on a greater base than a 223
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
4618 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2017 :  20:03:30  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best powder that I have found has been H322. I also had my throats lengthened to 2.300 in both of my barrels because my mag length was 2.285" which was a perfect OAL. A little more ooommmpphh if you will. Check out the .277 Wolverine if you are interested in that. Seems to be gaining a little more steam than the 6.5 PCC ever did.
Go to Top of Page

budlight
Advanced Member

USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2017 :  01:34:47  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I think that i will have to sell a Ar-15 and just go ahead and get both of these. The sharps and the 277

http://www.maddogweapons.com/store/p501/.277_Wolverine_Premium_Barrel_-_3-Groove_20%22_416R_Stainless_Threaded.html

http://www.maddogweapons.com/store/p291/277_WLV_Lee_Custom_Die_Set.html

http://www.maddogweapons.com/store/p212/277_WLV_Magazine_Bands_6-Pack.html
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06