Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bad arrow
Advanced Member

Canada
783 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2017 :  13:19:19  Show Profile Send bad arrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking about building a room for my firearms, I'm worried about fire and theft, so it would need to be concrete, probably block.
I'm a carpenter so I can build anything, I was thinking it needs to be hidden so the common rat (shyte rat) wont easily find it but, be somewhat easy access for me. I was thinking about a small room off the side of my house...any of you guys have a fireproof room?

EnglishTom
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2017 :  16:43:29  Show Profile  Click to see EnglishTom's MSN Messenger address Send EnglishTom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The basement with a steel door ???
Go to Top of Page

bad arrow
Advanced Member

Canada
783 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2017 :  20:00:15  Show Profile Send bad arrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a basement, but it wont work, it could flood down there....its happened before here.
Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2724 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2017 :  01:19:29  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back in 1979 a guy I knew bought a commercial building...used to be an old Piggly Wiggly grocery store.

He wanted to convert the back of the building into his living quarters. An old friend and myself did the job for him with the assistance of 2 other guys.

The perimeter was constructed of cinder blocks and he wanted it to be obscure as to what was inside, so the average person would think it was just another large room, speaking of the "compound".

We roped off part of the interior of the living quarters and turned it into a secure room for him. The entrance was cammoed into the wall so that it was not detected.

He put his money safe and also stored his guns inside it. It turned into a 20ft x 18ft sized room. Down here, the fire code considers cinder block to be suitable for a fire wall.

The roof of the building was metal and insulated underneath that. He prolly lived in it for a good 20 years, then he sold the building and bought a huge log house outside of Comfort, TX.
Go to Top of Page

J0HN_R1

Canada
40 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2017 :  01:21:21  Show Profile Send J0HN_R1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeing how you're north of the 49th, I think you'll run into issues if you (build legally and) apply for a permit for a "gun room" or "safe room".

First bit of advice, on the building Permit application call it a "cold room" for storage.

Second, if you can't add-on to or section-off an existing corner of the basement, any addition to the exterior of the house will be easily identifiable to the common thief.

Good luck !

Edited by - J0HN_R1 on Jan 13 2017 01:21:54
Go to Top of Page

bad arrow
Advanced Member

Canada
783 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2017 :  01:40:38  Show Profile Send bad arrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
John
No building permit required where I live,, however if I did need one then a cold room is a good idea,, lol, right now its about 25 below.
Go to Top of Page

EnglishTom
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2017 :  06:28:19  Show Profile  Click to see EnglishTom's MSN Messenger address Send EnglishTom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many years ago in the house I lived in before this one I converted my loft space, cost me about £1200/$1800 but that was 30 years ago, gave me a very a good size space, 12x15 approx., added a small c/h rad and a thermostat the room stayed at a steady 18degC and never had any rusting problems, nice part about it no one ever knew it was there, even my wife thought it was just storage space. I had everything up there guns presses tumblers lol even a kettle and a Tv. My point being lofts don't flood that often and unless you tell someone its there they would never know
Go to Top of Page

dickn52

USA
356 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2017 :  12:53:48  Show Profile Send dickn52 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A friend had a gun room/vault built connected to his block garage. Used a vault door for access. So from the house thru an enclosed causeway into the garage, down two steps to the vault door and one more step to the garage. That way the gun room was about 18" above the garage floor. Seemed odd, but it worked. Of course his property had a slight grade from house to garage too.
Go to Top of Page

bad arrow
Advanced Member

Canada
783 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2017 :  16:51:38  Show Profile Send bad arrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats more like what I'm thinking...a fireproof door leading to a concrete block room re-enforced with steel and concrete.
Go to Top of Page

budlight
Advanced Member

USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2017 :  19:16:46  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my life i have seen some Man Cave secure gun and trophy rooms. My friend in alaska had a nice addition put on his home. From the inside all you saw was a big wide screen TV entertainment center on the wall. The whole thing hided from view was on a big swing out. Behind was a steel fire proof door which opened to a 14 X 24 walk in room with reloading counters and cabinates of guns all the way around. He even had his old big gun safe in the corner now for just storing valuables. In alaska he might be gone for 4 month every winter.

You would not know it was there unless you scouted the outside of the house and figured out that something was missing when you were on the inside. Because that entry room looked like a normal TV room with big coaches and chairs

Edited by - budlight on Jan 13 2017 19:17:25
Go to Top of Page

bad arrow
Advanced Member

Canada
783 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2017 :  11:10:24  Show Profile Send bad arrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds like an elaborate gun room, it sounds perfect and I would like to see something like that.
Go to Top of Page

Preston
Advanced Member

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2017 :  11:47:55  Show Profile Send Preston a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing I would do is rebar and 5,000 lb grout in the entire block system. I've worked on a few jails in my iron working days. Stops fire on jack hammers. Plus a 6" concrete top. That is secure, with a good door.

"He who carries the field of battle, is he who gets there the firstest with the mostest"

Nathan Bedford Forrest CSA
Go to Top of Page

taiveson
Average Member

USA
174 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2017 :  10:49:38  Show Profile Send taiveson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well bad arrow the main think is out of sight out of mind. As you said hide it. I don't recommend bothering the burocrats at all as they are way too nosey.
Block will work fine. Preston has it covered.
Go to Top of Page

Hairtrigger

288 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  16:13:59  Show Profile Send Hairtrigger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine is all 10" concrete
I just wish it was 3X larger

[URL=http://s27.photobucket.com/user/Travelinman/media/GUN%20ROOM/gunroom3_zps64f08f34.jpg.html][/URL]

I was given a vault door when a old local bank was remodeled into a taco joint. Old vault doors with frame can be found quite reasonable

I am one gun away from happy

Edited by - Hairtrigger on Feb 09 2017 16:16:09
Go to Top of Page

bad arrow
Advanced Member

Canada
783 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  16:20:36  Show Profile Send bad arrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now.... thats a gun room, I like it!
Go to Top of Page

Rapier
Advanced Member

USA
776 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2017 :  13:24:25  Show Profile Send Rapier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just an idea for you. My new room is built inside my shop, after the metal building was built, I did not want the vault standing out in the open attracting attention. Floor is 18 inches thick to hold the weight. Walls are 12 inch block with 3 pieces of rebar in each cell, poured into the floor, walls were pumped in 5K psi concrete, every block, until water seeped out the bottom. Roof is 18 inches thick with a double 6 inch tied rebar grid. Room is 16x10x10 with a steel vault door that opens in and is air tight. The wiring for the IR HD six camera system, with motion detectors and alarms goes inside the vault to the controller, recorder, and has a battery backup with a cel phone call out to my computer. The outside has eight spotlights on a dusk to dawn switch. I have a big 4 gallon dehumidifier with a 1/2 inch hose that drips moisture outside the building, keeps the inside of the vault at 45%. It is 1 year old and I already need another layer of muzzle down racks above the first layer. The end opposite the door is covered by 1/4 inch white peg board and hangs the handguns and knives. The entire inside is painted with a silver gray latex epoxy as a sealer and it has two 4 ft four bulb florecent lights.

I built it as a torpedo storm room and a vault. Wife and I can sit or sleep at the end. I need to put up a shelf for MREs at the ceiling. The neighbors do not know that room is in the building.

By the way, a basement is the first thing a fire department floods in a fire.
Ed

Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06