New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Got-R-Did
Advanced Member

1075 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  14:33:14  Show Profile Send Got-R-Did a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sand of any sort, and the kitty litter tends to migrate through the loose weave of the denim or shot bags and will scratch the finish on your stocks. Spent corn cob or walnut media is good, but why not just use new media? It is very cheap.
I have a Caldwell Rock and love it, but you could make your own base if on the ultimate "Cheap" route. Using plywood and/or 2"X6" treated deck lumber to build your own. Cutting the entire back pocket off a set of old jeans and loosely filling it with media makes for a good rear squeeze bag for the butt.
The black zircon sand is the best but also better used in a leather bag.
Got-R-Did.
Go to Top of Page

ten2six
Advanced Member

USA
4023 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2013 :  12:49:40  Show Profile Send ten2six a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote's for Gary's (Onondaga) homemade rest with the scissor jack. That thing is a work of genius. I'm surprised he hasn't linked a photo of it here already.

I plan on copying it for my annual varmint trip this year. The benches we shoot off are relatively low, so leaning over to shoot for 3 straight days always leaves me aching. Gary's rest adjusts up so I won't have to lean over.

Adjusting the rest to fit you, rather than you adjusting to the rest has to help shooting technique.

"Chances are, when we meet intelligent life forms in outer space, they're going to be descended from predators."
- Michio Kaku
Go to Top of Page

Mavrick

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2013 :  11:14:45  Show Profile Send Mavrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of us are thinking of a rest as if we were Bench Rest shooters, therefor we buy that kind or a variation. Those are based on RULES. If you're testing ammo those that support better like the Uncle Bud's, or even the Lead Sleds are better. I don't like the LS because the gun mounts funny, and feels uncomfortable. It's really good for the bigger magnums, and large-caliber guns.
Have fun,
Gene
Go to Top of Page

langenc

USA
48 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2014 :  23:07:49  Show Profile Send langenc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Empty shot bags full of sand are 'sand bags' not bench rest (devices) rests and never will be.

Get over to RFC and check on a "Cowan" rest. They are more than $150 but it goes to a wonderful cause. They also are 'adjustable" up down so your neck dont get tired as noted couple post above this one.

22 Chuck

Edited by - langenc on Oct 19 2014 23:09:46
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06