Target
 Yet another question on LC .308 brass
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

carnut
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2016 :  18:51:04  Show Profile Send carnut a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seams everything I've read (internet and loading) manuals say to reduce loads on 'military' brass anywhere from 2-5%. Is this data current ? Out of frustration I took 5 of my LC .308 cases and filled them up to the top of the neck with IMR-4064. Average weight of powder was 49.71 gr and deviation .05 to .4 gr. Repeated with 5 commercial cases (RP,FC,RP,FC & PMC) average was 48.74 gr w/deviation of 0 to 1.0 GR. That says the LC holds more powder which should mean more internal volume than the mixed commercial. The LC is more consistent and the commercial varied up to 1 gr (2%) by manufacturer. All cases are set to 1.626-28 head space and trimmed to 2.005-2.008 so there is .14% variation in the case neck length. But overall this is opposite everything I've read. The LC cases are dated 2011 - 2014 could it be newer brass is not the same as the old stuff in the books ??

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2869 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2016 :  20:33:15  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From my memories of long ago (I'm going back to the 60s), I had gobs of 7.62 x 63 (30-06) brass and I had a hell of a time loading it when grouped with commercial brass.

Nearly all of it was Lake City brass with headstamps from 50s with the latest as 62. It seemed that I could hardly get powder in it and it would give some serious pressures signs.

Those cases were fairly heavy (aka thick) and IIRC, I had to load something like 4-5 grains less powder so I could shoot them.

Nowdays, I think in order to save some money, the military cases may have been lightened up quite a bit. I haven't worked with any new ones, so I can't comment with any certainty, but I still have a butt load of those older ones. The only commercial brass that I had that came close to those old LCs was some RWS from Germany.
Go to Top of Page

Zero333
Advanced Member

Canada
824 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2016 :  10:47:18  Show Profile Send Zero333 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do not test capacity with powder.
Use water instead and you must use once fired brass from the same chamber for good comparison.

Once fired brass already has a spent primer in it which will hold the water.

Treat that trigger like it’s your first date, not like you’ve been married to it for 20 years.
Go to Top of Page

carnut
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2016 :  16:23:50  Show Profile Send carnut a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zero, I'll give that a try.. Don't have any fired cases w/primer, but I'll have some after Friday. Got a new Remington 700-P model 86591, 24 inch 5R barrel, 11.25:1 twist. Just broke it in and now starting from scratch working out loads. That 1.628 head space was from the 35 cases I used during break-in. My lee full size die is seated down in press to touch the ram (no gap) and it sizes the case at 1.625 . I verify head space and case length on fired cases and neck size only. Luckily both .308's the R700 and Mossberg have close to the same HS.
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9148 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2016 :  11:13:23  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
carnut,
Another easy test is to weigh brass. Generally a heavier case in the same caliber will have a smaller volume. I do find that Military cases can be thicker brass but not always. When ever changing brands of brass it is always a good idea to check weight and internal volume and back your load down a grain or two and work back to your max. You may have a change in velocity and accuracy also.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06