Texas State Mid-range Champion Match
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

swampshooter
Advanced Member

USA
669 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2013 :  08:10:55  Show Profile Send swampshooter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shot the Texas State F-Class Mid-range Championship match this past week-end. Course of fire was 120 rds. from 600 yds. 60 rds. on Saturday and 60 rds. on Sunday. All shooting was from 600 yds. We had 90 or 95 shooters in attendance. It rained and the wind blowed off and on all week-end, sometimes it just flat poured. The match was finally called on Sunday afternoon after several lengthy rain delays. 1/2 of the shooters, myself included, had fired their 120 record rds. and 1/2 only had 4 of their 6 strings shot. I think that they finally called it because the mud was making climbing up to the firing line treacherous. So the match was decided using 80 of the scheduled 120 rds. for final score. Competition was extremely tough, as an example, in F/O their were only 4 points separating the top 7 shooters.
Winners were; F/O Matt Davis 799.55
F/TR Alton Britt 786.35
Any rifle Stacey Tamulinas 796.56
Service rifle Randall Scheibel 784.29
Congratulations to the winners, especially Matt Davis who only dropped 1 point with 55 x's for the 80 record shots. For the benefit of the non-match shooters, the X ring at 600 yds. is 3" and the 10 ring is 6".
The match was real, and it was fun, but it was not real fun, due to the inclement weather and the mud. Shooting conditions were kind of tough but most shooters, myself included, managed to shoot a very respectable score.
FYI most of the F/O shooters that I talked to were shooting 284's w/ 180 gr. bullets or 6.5x284 with 139-142 gr. bullets. Most of the F/TR shooters that I talked to were shooting 308's with 185-190 gr. bullets. I'm currently shooting a 6.5x284. My rifle is ready for a new barrel, it'll be a 284 very shortly.

nra range technical team advisor
nra endowment member
Texas State Hunters Safety Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol Coach

swampshooter
Advanced Member

USA
669 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2013 :  08:44:44  Show Profile Send swampshooter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PS. I shot an 1143.35. Considering that I'll soon be 68 years old I was satisfied with that.

nra endowment member
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol Coach
Go to Top of Page

FW
Advanced Member

USA
623 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2013 :  18:46:24  Show Profile Send FW a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Swampshooter, 1143/1200 is a 95%; that's good shooting - Expert class. F-Class and Mid-Range Prone is tough, a score like yours in in over the course or long range would be in the Master class.
As for the others scores you mentioned, that's hard holding and good wind reading skills; a tough combination to beat.
For a while, MR Prone and F-Class was the biggest draw at my club but High Power is making a come back.
Go to Top of Page

swampshooter
Advanced Member

USA
669 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2013 :  10:55:57  Show Profile Send swampshooter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks FW, I'm fighting a shot out barrel right now, even barrels are hard to get now. My rifle will barely hold 10 ring in no wind conditions right now, a thousand rounds back, earlier in the summer, it easily held X-ring. So my scores should have been higher than they were. But I was satisfied, it's about what I expected.
There were a lot of sling shooters at this match, probably half. They get to shoot at a target with scoring rings twice as large as ours. I shoot F/O.

Edited by - swampshooter on Oct 04 2013 11:00:50
Go to Top of Page

FW
Advanced Member

USA
623 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2013 :  13:36:56  Show Profile Send FW a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter

There were a lot of sling shooters at this match, probably half. They get to shoot at a target with scoring rings twice as large as ours. I shoot F/O.

That's me, sling shooter with iron sights and the easy target.

Edited by - FW on Oct 04 2013 13:38:23
Go to Top of Page

swampshooter
Advanced Member

USA
669 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2013 :  15:45:23  Show Profile Send swampshooter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's nothing easy about that target when your using a sling and iron sights. But then I'm sure you already know that.

nra endowment member
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol Coach
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06