Single Shot Handgun
 ruger single six revolver
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

oilman12

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2012 :  16:22:14  Show Profile Send oilman12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i got one and was reading up on it, and it said you can use 22lr,22mag, & 17 hmr the first 2 are good but the 17 hmr puzzels me can it be fired out of this gun or not any help on this is appriciated . can you reload 17 hmr or not . never heard of this one to reload thanks oilman12

Edited by - curly on Oct 26 2016 20:37:49

wood
Advanced Member

USA
506 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2012 :  17:01:00  Show Profile Send wood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would think the .17 cal would come with two cylinders just like the .22 cal. Single six. No the hornady 17 rim fire and the hornady rim fire mag. Are not reloadable.
Jack

The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved.
Go to Top of Page

necchi
Advanced Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2012 :  21:21:23  Show Profile Send necchi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems like everyone is a little confused here.
1st. You have one, OK, it's either a 22lr OR a 22mag or the 17HMR.
OR you have the 22caliber Combo model with 2 cylinders,
One cylinder is for 22cal Long Rifle rimfire.
One cylinder is for 22cal Magnum rimfire.
They are two different cylinders.

2nd. There is no 17 rimfire, they are all 17HMR as in;
17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire

A 22 has a 22 caliber bore to the barrel
A 17 has a 17 caliber bore to the barrel
They are not interchangeable,, it's either a 22 OR a 17

Reloading any 22 or 17HMR rim fire case while being technically possible, can't be done with available over the counter componants unless your a bathtub chemist and can cook up a reliable primeing compound AND get it into the rim of the case AND asure that each case isn't struck in the same crushed spot as the previous shot,,
Go to Top of Page

oilman12

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2012 :  21:46:52  Show Profile Send oilman12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i kind of thought i would that kind of answer. thanks oilman12
Go to Top of Page

wood
Advanced Member

USA
506 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2012 :  21:57:21  Show Profile Send wood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I thought the 17 hmr and the 17 hm2 were seprate cartridges released 2 or 3 years apart in the early 2000's was not sure if ruger made the single six in both the 22 and 17 versions. Obviously you could not shoot a 22 in the 17 barrel and the other way around would not do much for accuracy if they would chamber. Thought I had also seen kits to convert a 22 single six to 17 with purchase of a barrel and cylinder. I would expect you would need to do a little work to match the timing of the cylinder as is done with the 22's. I seem to remember the cylinders are matched to the gun with 22 and the 22 mag.
Jack

The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved.
Go to Top of Page

oilman12

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2012 :  22:25:08  Show Profile Send oilman12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks wood i think it its made to shoot both 22, and 22mg from the same cylinder i dont have the gun yet im waiting to get myestricted card and an att to transport the gun so the police will leave you alone its what i call red tape that you go through to have a restricted weapon . thanks oilman12
Go to Top of Page

Rapier
Advanced Member

USA
776 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2016 :  09:57:42  Show Profile Send Rapier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"i think it its made to shoot both 22, and 22mg from the same cylinder" No, that does not work in the 22/22 mag convertible Single Six. The 22 WMR (Winchester Magnum Rimfire) is bigger in diameter and longer than the 22 LR so while the external length of the cylinder itself may be the same length, the chambers in the cylinder are very different. A 22 LR round fired in a magnum chamber will 99% of the time produce split cases and inaccurate results. You will also note that the magnum cylinder has recessed chambers where the rim area is cut to support the magnum cartridge rim.
Ed

Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!"
Go to Top of Page

ethmoid1999
Advanced Member

USA
4345 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2016 :  16:05:01  Show Profile Send ethmoid1999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
+1 Rapier. I have a couple of the 22-22mags. Different cylinders and very different point of impact with the two rounds.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06