Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 Techniques
 Compressed loads
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wee_Man

27 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  03:01:24  Show Profile Send Wee_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do you like or dislike about shooting compressed loads, such as are they more consistent or not?

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2561 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  09:44:52  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lightly compressed loads are usually with the "optimum powder" and generate high velocity with good accuracy.
Go to Top of Page

dh2
Advanced Member

696 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  20:07:27  Show Profile Send dh2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with 7mmmag to much compressing is trouble bulging brass and poor preforance, but if the load I want to use is to much for one case I will at times switch brands of case's in genral I find that R-P cases have less capasety than Winchester
Go to Top of Page

Andy Jaeger

56 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  22:59:34  Show Profile Send Andy Jaeger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember that case capacity will increase after the brass is fire formed to your chamber. New, unfired brass won't hold as much. I learned that the hard way after loading new brass with my full loads for hunting. MagPro in a 300 WSM at 76 grains is a compressed load. That much powder won't even fit in a new case.
Go to Top of Page

Wee_Man

27 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2012 :  04:16:03  Show Profile Send Wee_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for info, i have found that alot of reloader's really just want load a cartridge (none of them) to the max load period. While other's say compressed loads are the best. Though some cartridge's you never hardly see a compressed load listed for then on some about every load when at max is compressed so i was just curious!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

339 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2012 :  10:59:24  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I rarely load compressed loads. In fact, most of the time I find, with most of my rifles, that I get the best accuracy a grain or two under maximum.
7x57guy
Go to Top of Page

ryno30263

USA
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  14:55:38  Show Profile Send ryno30263 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I find, with most of my rifles, that I get the best accuracy a grain or two under maximum.

Also depends on powder. I compress Varget in all my loads and I still don't think it's enough.

"Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did." - George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  01:04:29  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For bottleneck cartridges I follow a routine selecting powder and compressed loads is part of the routine.

1) I prefer extruded powders to ball powders as ball powders don't like to be compressed and may have unexpected pressure spikes when compressed.

2) I research which extruded powders have the lowest ballistic pressure with the highest velocity and offer the ability for 100% or greater loading density within safe ballistic pressure limits.

Don't listen to me, I have only been doing it this way for 50 years and my lifetime best is only a 5 shot 6.82 inch group at 1,000 yards.

Gary

Fine rifles are never really owned.
Go to Top of Page

Mavrick

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  17:48:20  Show Profile Send Mavrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer compressed loads for accuracy, but working up is always necessary. Just because it's listed does not make it right in all rifles, the throat being the first variable.
I, too, prefer extruded powders, but single-base, as there are SOME double-base. The single-base tend to be some cooler-burning.
Too much compression will make many powders burn erratically, but as it's worked up, the accuracy and velocities will change, and you'll be able to see where the difference comes in.
Almost all my shooting is done over the chronograph, so it's easy for me to see when that happens.
Have fun,
Gene
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06