Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 Load request
 Some times it just works out
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joe King

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  17:34:44  Show Profile Send Joe King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So long story short. After having my 7mag rebarreled, and finding out that a #6 conture wasn't what I wanted (to damned heavy for long walks in the wild country). I ended up taking the 270 for the vast majority of my hunting. What to do with this heavy SOB now? I still hunt with it but only in more friendly terrain. Well that long range bug that been napping for a few years woke up, and he was demanding attention. So off I go! researching the crap out of VLD bullets, loads, and everything under the sun that falls under the category of things I can account for and eliminate. I eventually come across a custom bullet maker called Matrix Ballistics. Using loading data Walt Berger had sent me for their 168gr VLD, I settled on using RL22 since I have more than I really should I start working up a load with 168gr Matrix VLD, and RL22. After the initial testing looking for what charge will do what I wanted I had a pretty good Idea that I was onto something that was going to fit my criteria. Not every load I tested showed stellar accuracy but following the crumb trail I eventually ended up with a load that in my rifle has shown repeatedly more accuracy than I ever expected. This morning I headed out to the range to reset my zero (gave the rifle a thorough cleaning, trigger group, everything). It again shot a 1/4MOA group.

So if anyone is looking to work up a hyper accurate load for a 7mag, This may be one for your consideration. As always work up your charge though. The load data Walt Berger sent me stated that 65gr of RL22 to be a max load. In my rifle the hotter magnum primers just started to loose their radius at 66gr so I stopped there.

168gr Matrix VLD
65.2gr RL22
Nosler cases
Rem 9 1/2M primer
My rifle likes this bullet to be 0.020" off the lands. Way to long to go in the magazine but oh well, maybe you can't have your cake and eat it to but the frosting is sure good! lol

you can hit em as hard as you want, but you have to hit em first

Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2559 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  22:19:19  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent load there King.
Go to Top of Page

SWABBY56
Advanced Member

USA
723 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  00:17:45  Show Profile Send SWABBY56 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use 65.6 of R22 and the federal 210M primer to push the 162 AMAX bullet in my 7MM Mag that was rebarrel by E.R. Shaw. What a great job and barrel. It is a 1/2 inch group at 100 yards with that load every time I go to the range and will literally turn a ground hog inside out and take their heads right off.
Go to Top of Page

Joe King

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  16:09:01  Show Profile Send Joe King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1/2 @ 100 consistent is pretty good, sure builds the confidence.

How I came up with 1/4moa is 1/2" @ 200, it is showing repeatability too. I had initially intended to work up a load with 162gr Amax, but everything I have heard about Matrix bullets, has been rave reviews. Kinda hard to resist, and being directly comparable to the 168gr Berger vld their not nearly as sensitive to seating depth, which is the very reason Berger was #3 on the list of long range bullet to try.

you can hit em as hard as you want, but you have to hit em first

Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06