Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 what to do with in accurate handloads
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

archerross
Advanced Member

USA
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2012 :  16:18:24  Show Profile Send archerross a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

At the end of last year I bought a 7mm-08 from a buddy. The package deal included dies, brass, and about 200 rounds of handloads. These rounds are mostly 140 Accubonds (~100) with handfuls of 140 TSX and 139 SSTs. I shot some of this stuff before I started overhauling the rifle. It shot ok, about 1 MOA. The rifle has since received a new stock (complete with floating the barrel) and new bottom metal for detachable magazines. No surprise, the handloads now do not shoot very accurately, 1.5+ MOA.

What would you do with all of the handloads? I'd hate to shoot them just for the sake of shooting them...seems like a waste.

If I were to pull them, do you think anyone would buy them? I'm looking to shoot heavier bullets.

There is plenty of room for all of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes.

dh2
Advanced Member

694 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2012 :  19:13:05  Show Profile Send dh2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
pull them apart for there componets
Go to Top of Page

necchi
Advanced Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2012 :  20:32:30  Show Profile Send necchi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same thing as the guy on the other forum said.
Take'm out and practice "Off Hand" shooting,,
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
5204 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2012 :  22:09:25  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you changed the bedding qualities of the rifle. The major question is will it ever shoot as good as it did?
Go to Top of Page

spires5d
Average Member

145 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2012 :  22:39:09  Show Profile Send spires5d a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah,go ahead and shoot up all your smaller grain loads as you can use the brass to load what ever you want.Reloading supplies aren't getting any cheaper.Buy now and shoot later. Have a good day.

7mm's Forever and a 30 cal. will "Slam Dunk Um"
Go to Top of Page

TxTickPkr
Advanced Member

USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2012 :  00:03:52  Show Profile  Send TxTickPkr an AOL message  Send TxTickPkr a Yahoo! Message Send TxTickPkr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the rifle shot the same ammo, loaded at the same time with the same components and the same hands at the loader to MOA and after the changes shoots that ammo at 1.5 MOA? I would suspect the changes rather than the ammo. It is the same? Something has contact somewhere and seems to be affecting barrel harmonics. I could accept a slight zero change, but a group size change should have a cause somewhere. Has another load been shooting 1 MOA since the changes? If you have time, get the rifle back to full potential with this supply of proven ammo. You mentioned different styles and weights of bullets, try not mixing the control group on test. I wouldn't expect 140TSX and 139SST's to impact identicly. If that doesn't change things check for contacts with dykem or carbon paper. Is the new bottom metal touching the magazine box and thus the action, lots of things to check I know.Make it a fun quest. Shooting is more fun than pulling bullets. I have learned that one the hard way.Good luck.

Those who relinquish liberty for security deserve and shall have neither.
Go to Top of Page

archerross
Advanced Member

USA
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2012 :  11:55:49  Show Profile Send archerross a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many good points and ideas, fellas.

quote:
Sounds like you changed the bedding qualities of the rifle. The major question is will it ever shoot as good as it did?

quote:
Something has contact somewhere and seems to be affecting barrel harmonics. I could accept a slight zero change, but a group size change should have a cause somewhere. Has another load been shooting 1 MOA since the changes?

I absolutely changed the bedding. In my OP I mentioned getting a new stock and free floating the barrel. The old loads were developed for the rifle when sitting in the factory Rem black synthetic "plastic" stock with the pressure point. I never expected the old loads to shoot as well in the new configuration. I've done a bit of load development with the 162 gr Amax in the new stock/bottom metal and it is shooting about 0.5-0.7 MOA. So the rifle has potential.

quote:
Reloading supplies aren't getting any cheaper.

This is precisely why I have some consternation regarding shooting up the old loads, with the exception, perhaps, for practicing offhand shooting. They certainly don't give Accubonds and TSX away! Practicing technique and wind reading with an inaccurate load would likely cause more frustration than meaningful learning. I would always be wondering if errant shots were me or the out of tune load.

In terms of the safety of the loads, I feel confident in my friends abilities. I taught him good loading practices and worked with him to develop these loads. That much being said, he has since sold off all of his reloading equipment because he no longer has time, or at least undisturbed time, now that he has four kids.

I'm leaning toward pulling them and either working up new loads or selling them off. Do you guys think anyone would be interested in purchasing these bullets if I were to pull them, assuming I price them right?

There is plenty of room for all of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes.
Go to Top of Page

45colt
Advanced Member

1389 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2012 :  15:56:26  Show Profile Send 45colt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In all honesty 'ross, 1.5" will still kill anything you point it at out to 250-300yds. I wouldn't sweat it and just save them for the black timber hunting or shots under 250yds. All those bullets should work well on mule deer and elk out your way.

"I'd rather die for something, then live for nothing."

Go to Top of Page

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
2271 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2012 :  17:24:16  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfix your rifle back the way it was. You already proved the rifle has been made to shoot worse by accurizing it. Dismantling the ammunition will not make your rifle shoot better again. Find the new problem in the rifle caused by a poor gunsmith job and fix it.

Gary

Fine rifles are never really owned.
Go to Top of Page

archerross
Advanced Member

USA
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2012 :  18:00:20  Show Profile Send archerross a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 45colt

In all honesty 'ross, 1.5" will still kill anything you point it at out to 250-300yds. I wouldn't sweat it and just save them for the black timber hunting or shots under 250yds.

Point well taken, even for an accuracy freak.

quote:
Originally posted by Onondaga

Unfix your rifle back the way it was. You already proved the rifle has been made to shoot worse by accurizing it. Dismantling the ammunition will not make your rifle shoot better again. Find the new problem in the rifle caused by a poor gunsmith job and fix it.

Gary

Are you suggesting I scrap the rifle project because it doesn't accurately shoot my buddy's handloads? Would you scrap a rifle build because it doesn't accurately shoot factory ammo?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've done some load development with the 162 gr Amax in the new stock/bottom metal configuration and it is shooting 0.5-0.7 MOA. Thus, the rifle in its new configuration has shown to be more accurate than the original handloads were in the original factory configuration.

I'll also reiterate that I never expected the old handloads to shoot the same in the new configuration. If you develop a load for a rifle in a stock that has a pressure point, like the Rem 700 SPS has, and then you put it in a stock without that pressure point, it will almost certainly shoot differently because the barrel harmonics are totally different. It could shoot better, but likely not.

I was simply looking for ideas about what to do with the all the handloads that came with the rifle.

Go to Top of Page

FIXNMY7MM

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2012 :  18:41:47  Show Profile Send FIXNMY7MM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Sims Sharpshooter x ring for twenty buck might be a cheap easy way to make the ammo usable without changing your new build and it would be removable. Give it a try, let us know what it does.
Go to Top of Page

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
2271 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2012 :  18:52:25  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
archerross:
"Are you suggesting I scrap the rifle project because it doesn't accurately shoot my buddy's handloads? Would you scrap a rifle build because it doesn't accurately shoot factory ammo?"

Are you freekin kidding? Cant you read?
It shot the same handloads better before accurizing is what you wrote about your rifle.

What I have said is that poor accurizing has made the rifle shoot worse with that load and you have proved that yourself. If you don't care about that because some new handloads shoot better. Leave it that way. You have changed the resonance of the rifle. If you are happy with it, there is nothing else to do.

I will suggest that a better accurizing job would shoot both loads better, not just one of them.

Gary

Fine rifles are never really owned.
Go to Top of Page

archerross
Advanced Member

USA
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2012 :  19:56:02  Show Profile Send archerross a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Are you freekin kidding? Cant you read?[quote]
Easy now.

The accurizing done was to put the barreled action into a new stock (with DBM) that floated the barrel. To "unfix it back the way it was" would be to put it back into the factory stock, which basically says to me forgoing the build. Perhaps I'm missing something. I guess I don't see how upgrading the stock is poor accurizing.

My goal was not to improve the accuracy of the old loads, it was to modify the rifle to my specs/desires. In doing so the old handloads are not as accurate. I'm fine with that because I plan to develop new loads with heavier bullets. That still leaves me with almost 200 rounds of old handloads that are not as accurate as they once were. Hence my question. What to do with them.

Go to Top of Page

DocHolladay
Advanced Member

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2012 :  19:57:08  Show Profile Send DocHolladay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Use them to fire form the brass for the rifle.

98% of us will die at some point in our lives.- Ricky Bobby, Talledega Nights
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
3670 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2012 :  21:12:44  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
+1 to Doc. Inaccurate loads have a place in the world too. I too use them for fireforming brass or initial sighting of a scope before fine tuning with the actual hunting loads for the rifle, or use them as plinkers with the kids (you can only show them up a few times before they lose interest).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06