Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 New 8mm Rem Mag & Range Report
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

IMR4350
Advanced Member

USA
1549 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  15:49:44  Show Profile Send IMR4350 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you ever wondered what something would be like, but you never quit had the opportunity to actually experience it. It is like a special hunting trip you dream about for years. It continually alludes you and then, all of a sudden, you have this UNPRECEDENTED OPPORTUNITY to make it a reality, but it is a fleeting moment at best and you must grab it or it will fly away.

You see, my life was quite, calm and pretty settled as I was approaching this coming hunting season with things already laid out, but taped out on money due to my grandson's schooling and my hunting trips. Now that is a good thing considering the fact that without money I could not be temped to buy any new rifles. WRONG!! I was temped!

I opened up and email from a friend of mine and he said I know you have expressed interest in this 8mm Rem Mag and I wanted to give you first shot. Now understand that this rifle has only had ten rounds fired in it since the day it left the factory.

I will never forget a story I read by Craig Boddington years ago about a sheep hunt he went on and the the rifle and cartridge he used was a custom 8mm Rem Mag. I was hooked forever, but never able at the right time to run across one in good condition, when I had the money, but sometimes you just have to bit the bullet and do what is needed to fulfill a dream.

8mm Rem Mag 220gr Sierra SBT

left to right
7mm08, 300Wby, 8mm Rem Mag, 338 Win mag

8mm Rem Mag Range Report - 220gr Sierra SBT, RL-25 and RL-22, Rem brass, Rem 9 1/2M primers, OAL 3.600", Velocity 3009fps

My initial thread on the 8mm Rem Mag was one of presentation and theory. This thread has to do with empirical evidence and fact, so hence a new thread.

It was an awesome and interesting morning to say the least and the 8mm Rem Mag is a beast at both ends. Anyone who says he likes to shoot an 8mm Rem Mag at the bench for more than 21-25 rounds has something truly wrong with them. Now that said, I am use to a 340Wby without a break shooting 225gr bullets which generates 43.0ft pounds of free recoil. The velocity of recoil though is just a tad slower than the 8mm Rem Mag even though marginal I felt the difference. Here are the stats on the free recoil and velocity of recoil for the 8mm Rem Mag with a 220gr Sierra SBT moving 3009fps on the average.

Cartridge: 8mm Rem Mag
Firearm: Remington 700
Load and Firearm Info:
Bullet Dia (in): 0.323
Case Length (in): 2.850
Case Volume (gr H2O):
93.5 Muzzle velocity (ft/sec): 3009
Bullet Wt (gr): 220
Charge Weight (gr): 86
Barrel Length (in): 24
Firearm Weight (lb): 8.50
Free recoil energy is 42.1 ft-lb. (57.1 Joule)

FACTOIDS:
Free recoil velocity is estimated to be 18 ft/sec. (5.4 m/sec)
(This is equivalent to dropping the 8.50 lb gun from a height of 5 feet.)
The free recoil volocity is gained in only 0.14 in (3.6 mm) of travel
Recoil impulse is 4.7 lbf-sec (21 Newton-sec)
Powder gases generate about 38 percent of the total recoil impulse & velocity

Now the recoil thing out of the way - I found RL-25 to give me higher velocities for max load in my rifle over RL-22. Also, it gave me better accuracy, better extreme spread and better deviation. Now this is not a bench gun, it is a purer hunting rifle. My last group was actually the fastest velocity wise and also the best accuracy. Temps were low 80's with 91% humidity and my elevation was 105ft above sea level.

Here is the average velocity and group size of the max load of RL-22 in my 8mm Rem mag. and group size was 1.2"

Here is the average velocity and group size of the max load of RL-25 in my 8mm Rem mag. and group size was .866", Extreme spread 20 Deviation 10
Note: (this was my last group shot for the day, and recoil was taking its toll and I was still getting use to my trigger, so this is in my opinion a good load for hunting)

top velocity of the day

All and all I am very excited about the 8mm Rem Mag in a fine rifle to use on big game. It is evident that anything hit with this 8mm Rem Mag will die quickly if not immediately depending on shot placement, but this beast will end the life of any beast hit with it and more than likely be DRT. Very impressive cartridge. Yes I can't wait to hunt with it.

THIS COMING FRIDAY MORNING'S EXPERIMENT

200gr Accbond - using MRP, RL-25, RL-22,IMR7828ssc

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:

THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
THE HEART OF A CHILD
THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

n/a
deleted

339 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  17:59:01  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats on your new rifle. The 8mm Rem Mag is truly an underated cartridge. In fact, the 8mm in any cartridge is underated. The Rem Mag has lots of power and is accurate.
I am looking forward to getting my 8mm Mauser back from the 'smith.
7x57guy
Go to Top of Page

IMR4350
Advanced Member

USA
1549 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  20:19:25  Show Profile Send IMR4350 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, and yes, I do like this Big 8

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:

THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
THE HEART OF A CHILD
THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS
Go to Top of Page

eric2381
Advanced Member

Canada
2020 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  13:34:27  Show Profile Send eric2381 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always wanted an 8mm mag. Just never got one yet. The 195gr hornady IL should be a fine bullet in it. You're getting good speeds outta the 220gr Sierra. And good accuracy too.

I've never saw a hearse with a luggage rack....
Go to Top of Page

jdmorris
Advanced Member

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  14:25:13  Show Profile Send jdmorris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have always wanted to purchase and shoot an 8mm Remington magnum. I like cartridges that are powerful and shoot large bullets that will hammer anything in its path. The 8mm accomplishes this with room to spare. It is a "true" magnum length cartridge. Good read as usual. If I could only get one in a Savage. Ron and I are going to have to sit down and figure out why only his target/tactical rifles have 26 inch tubes on them. I would like an 8mm magnum with a 26 inch barrel, stainless barrel, and a nice wooden stock with accutrigger. A man can dream can't he.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

eric2381
Advanced Member

Canada
2020 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  14:45:06  Show Profile Send eric2381 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jdmorris

I have always wanted to purchase and shoot an 8mm Remington magnum. I like cartridges that are powerful and shoot large bullets that will hammer anything in its path. The 8mm accomplishes this with room to spare. It is a "true" magnum length cartridge. Good read as usual. If I could only get one in a Savage. Ron and I are going to have to sit down and figure out why only his target/tactical rifles have 26 inch tubes on them. I would like an 8mm magnum with a 26 inch barrel, stainless barrel, and a nice wooden stock with accutrigger. A man can dream can't he.

Jim

Building an 8mm rem mag on a savage would be easy. Order up a prefit barrel and a belted magnum go guage and the right donor action and build it yourself.

Go to Top of Page

IMR4350
Advanced Member

USA
1549 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  14:50:52  Show Profile Send IMR4350 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man, a 26" barrel stainless barrel with a wood stock on a long savage action like my 7mmSTW 116 has and that would be sweet indeed and you would certainly see better velocities than my 24" barrel. Frankly, that is a cool idea.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:

THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
THE HEART OF A CHILD
THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS
Go to Top of Page

IMR4350
Advanced Member

USA
1549 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  14:52:03  Show Profile Send IMR4350 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eric2381

I've always wanted an 8mm mag. Just never got one yet. The 195gr hornady IL should be a fine bullet in it. You're getting good speeds outta the 220gr Sierra. And good accuracy too.

Yes, I intend later to try the 195gr Hornday. I got some 250gr Barnes Originals coming from a friend in Alaska, should be here next week sometime. :)

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:

THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
THE HEART OF A CHILD
THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS
Go to Top of Page

IMR4350
Advanced Member

USA
1549 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  19:16:05  Show Profile Send IMR4350 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Changed my mounts and rings. The Quad Rings were not keeping my scope from turning with the significant recoil of the Big 8 and I was afraid if I tighten them more than I had them I might strip a tread in the aluminum rings. So I went to a real traditional look with steel Leupold mounts and rings.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:

THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
THE HEART OF A CHILD
THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS
Go to Top of Page

fishstan2
Advanced Member

USA
2304 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2012 :  09:58:01  Show Profile  Send fishstan2 a Yahoo! Message Send fishstan2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello everybody, been awhile since I posted on this great site. I have never owned a 8mm Mag, but have always thought it is really a neat round. Good luck and I seem to think with all the new powders and bullets out there you will be able to do anything you want with it. I would recommend that at some point if you really like this round you go with a custom rifle that will really milk it for all it's worth. Good luck. Stan

WILLIAMS, STANLEY W.
CSM JBLM
"I SAY SHOOTEM FROM LONG RANGE"
Go to Top of Page

IMR4350
Advanced Member

USA
1549 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2012 :  10:51:27  Show Profile Send IMR4350 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
220gr Sierra & 200gr Accubond - 8mm RM bullet & load test

Well, it was a long wet, rainy morning and my 220gr SBT still showing great accuracy and velocity wise but the bullet does not hold up at 25yds with 4287.3 ft pounds of energy. The 200gr Accubond is shooting ok at 1 1/4" using RL-25, MRP was great velocity but poor accuracy, RL-22 poor velocity and poor accuracy and I did not have enough IMR7828ssc to finish three rounds so will do that later. RL-25 was not a max load for my rifle or nor was it a book max load, but was giving me 3117fps on average and it did as all Accubonds are intended to do, it held up at 25yds hitting the water jugs with 4183.7 ft pounds of energy.

Frist - here is the test with the 220gr Sierra at 25yds hitting the jugs with 4187.3ft pounds of energy.

Note: 8 jugs of water and I had to use a bungee cord to hold them on the short table.

There is no bullet to show you - because it went through five jugs and barely marked the 6th jug with a small fragment and bounced off. I could not find any pieces of the bullet, that is right, it totally after five jugs disintegrated. I did this test a second time and the same results, five jugs a small mark on the 6th jug from a fragment and I could not find any pieces of the 220gr Sierra. I looked all in the grass to try and find just a piece but couldn't. Needless to say, the 220gr Sierra is not for up close in the 8mm Rem Mag. It is obvious a 100yd to 600yds on deer and elk size game, but not for dangerous game. I would only use a 220gr A-Frame on dangerous game out of the Big 8 or if it existed a 220gr Accubond.

Second - here is the test with the 200gr Accubond moving 3117fps hitting with 4183.7 ft pounds of energy at 25yrd, going through 7 jugs ending up in the 8th jug knocking the 9th jug off the table.

Needless to say I will be working on tweaking the RL-25 load for the 200gr Accubond because I was not at max yet for my rifle nor at book max. The 220gr gr load will still be a long range load, but at the moment I will be working on the 200gr Accubond as an all around load and will later work on the 220gr A-Frame as my dangerous game load until Nosler sees fit to produce a 220gr .323 bullet.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:

THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
THE HEART OF A CHILD
THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS
Go to Top of Page

BIG R

USA
29 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2012 :  12:01:11  Show Profile Send BIG R a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMR-4350 look at loads 7053 and 7054 on the rifle section for 8 mag. I tested several medium burning powders like IMR-4895,RL-15,H-4895 for a slower speed deer load but never got the accuracy. This is the only cartridge I have ever got accuracy with IMR-4831 as with load 7053. I have some discontinued Hornady 220g Interbonds that shoot great also but unless elk or moose are on the agenda I'm going to save them. Also the Bell & Carlson stock improves the recoil problem significantly.
Go to Top of Page

eric2381
Advanced Member

Canada
2020 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2012 :  18:00:45  Show Profile Send eric2381 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Strange that you didn't find anything of the Sierra. Has to be there somewhere.

If the bullet went through 6 jugs of water, (what is that, around 3 feet?), at 25yds, they'll kill anything around. It'd be interesting to try the test at 100yds before writing the bullet off.

I use the cardboard boxes with plastic jug inside that deep frier oil comes in to test bullets this way. Laid on end.

Go to Top of Page

IMR4350
Advanced Member

USA
1549 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2012 :  18:17:46  Show Profile Send IMR4350 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went back with and got down on my hands and knees and found some small copper jacket but they were very small pieces. The bullet went through 5 jugs and a small piece or fragment dented the 6th jug and bounced off so in essence through 5 not 6 jugs.

I have not given up on them at all. In fact on gas lines down here where I live and those long shots I will use the 220gr Sierra. Even if it is a close shot on the white tail deer it will exit and devastate the deer. I still want it as my long range load because it will work very well past 300yds. If it will exit an eland at 400yds from an 8mm Rem Mag it will do just fine for my long work.

I did not mean by my report to imply that I would not use the bullet, it does have a place in my hunting future. I have to good of a load with the Sierra bullet and great BC to not use when shooting across big bean fields or down gas lines on deer or across canyons for elk in Arizona.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:

THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
THE HEART OF A CHILD
THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Edited by - IMR4350 on Jul 20 2012 18:22:24
Go to Top of Page

IMR4350
Advanced Member

USA
1549 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  11:13:05  Show Profile Send IMR4350 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Well, with a whole day night of thinking about how disappointed I was in the 220gr Sierra, I have decided that I can't afford to take a chance on one of my hunts. I know the construction of the Accubond won't let me down, so only one thing to do and that is tweak my 200gr Accubond load because it won't fail on me and my jug test yesterday morning pretty much made that clear. I believe I can get a little more velocity and improve accuracy. The cheapest thing on a hunt is the bullet so why cut corners or take a chance.

Thank you for all the comments on this thread. Your encouragement, ideas and experience really helps and is appreciated. Thanks for the impute.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:

THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
THE HEART OF A CHILD
THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS
Go to Top of Page

ten2six
Advanced Member

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  11:31:17  Show Profile Send ten2six a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMR,

Great post and pictures!!!

You'll have more than luck on your side with this baby.

ten

Stan....great to see you on the site.

"Chances are, when we meet intelligent life forms in outer space, they're going to be descended from predators."
- Michio Kaku
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06