Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 Hornady Open tip Match for game
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Macinudo
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  16:55:07  Show Profile Send Macinudo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wondering if any one has ever used this bullet for taking game. I only ask because I'm interested in Coyote hunting and currently have lots of these loaded up in 6.5x55.

"He is a lover not a fighter, but he is also a fighter, so don't get any ideas"

dh2
Advanced Member

693 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  18:44:15  Show Profile Send dh2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
a match bullet is a none expanding bullet not to be used for hunting, it may still be a hollow point but it is not a hunting bullet
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  22:48:34  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Save them for paper and load up some 85 gr Sierra Varminters for those 'yotes.
Go to Top of Page

eric2381
Advanced Member

Canada
2016 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  23:10:36  Show Profile Send eric2381 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go ahead and shoot your coyotes with the match bullets. They will be dead. I shoot 52gr Amax and 52gr BTHP Hornady outta my 22-250 and they expand and kill yotes real nice.

Your 6.5x55 will leave a good sized hole in the yote no matter what bullet you use.

Have fun!

I've never saw a hearse with a luggage rack....
Go to Top of Page

Macinudo
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  01:46:17  Show Profile Send Macinudo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know that they are not the best for this purpose, but I though I would throw it out there. I haven't tried anything lighter than 129gr in the old Mauser, but I wouldn't mind experimenting with 100gr or less bullets for varminting.

Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  10:25:50  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you shooting at coyotes in a wide open area or are you going to be shooting them out of a pasture that is occupied with cattle or other livestock? If so, you may wish to talk to the farmer/ rancher first before using the match bullets due to possible collateral damage. Likewise in an open area, make sure you are clear beyond your target too. The varmint bullets will enter and expand violently, this is why some fur hunters do not like them, destroys too much of the money. If you are placing your shots correctly w/ the match grades, the animal will die fairly quick and usually within sight. If you hit them elsewhere, they may travel off some distance before succumbing to the wound. Matter of choice, landowner preference, and fur friendly option. JMHO, I use the varmint bullets because the fur in my area ain't worth a hoot and the more animal you damage, the bigger the bait pile for the next critter to fall into.
Go to Top of Page

Macinudo
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  10:49:23  Show Profile Send Macinudo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very good point Hockney, I have considered that as well. Where I live in Utah I have several locations that run the gambit from open pastures and brushy areas to thicker cover hilly/mountain areas (all with in 10 minutes of my house!). Depending on where I went would dictate what firearm I take, shotgun/carbine/long rifle. The Swede is my favorite rifle and what I load for the most often, the match bullets are what I have on hand at the moment. Hitting a cow would be no joke, one already has to pay the rancher if you hit one with your car our here, which for some reason they seem to favor black ninja cows that are impossible to see when dark! I dont have any interest in furs, but in Utah, there is a bounty on yote's $50 per head.

Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  16:47:21  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let 'em fly! Good luck and stay safe.
Go to Top of Page

eric2381
Advanced Member

Canada
2016 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  22:12:04  Show Profile Send eric2381 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've shot quite a few yotes with my 30 Gibbs and 155gr smk. Over kill for yotes by a long shot, but those bullets expand every time and expand violently. DRT.

No matter if you're shooting varmint bullets or FMJ, be sure of your back stop and what's behind your target.

$50 a head bounty!! That would be awesome.

I've never saw a hearse with a luggage rack....
Go to Top of Page

Macinudo
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2012 :  13:52:08  Show Profile Send Macinudo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats what I thought would happen with those types of bullets.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06