Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 Hello All
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SMcCray
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2012 :  18:11:33  Show Profile Send SMcCray a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello All!!, Wanted to take a minute to introduce myself. My name is Scott and I am 41, married, have two sons (15 & 19) and I live in Upstate Ny... I am VERY new to reloading, so I am sure I will have a ton of questions as I move forward. I have a Lee Progressive press, and a Lee Load All... NOT a Load all II which I am finding has some differences already. LOL At the moment I am reloading 12 Gauge shotgun Shells on the LLA, but Very shortly I am going to move onto loading Rifle Loads, Mainly .308, 7mm-08, .243, and .222.... Going to start with one setup at a time, and it will probably be the .308 as it is my favorite one to shoot of the ones listed. But I need a bit more equipment. It was actually recommended that I get a Single Stage (Something reasonably stronger than my progressive) because of the Sizing of a Full Length Case... Because I am just starting, and have sons I can hand stuff down too. I am actually thinking of the Lee challenger Breech Lock Anniversary Kit because of Cost, and it is a solid Aluminum design over a Cast aluminum.... I am NOT high volume at this point, so I am thinking this will serve the purpose, Plus that kit comes with the basic reloading equipment which will save me some money out of the gate..... As for the Shotgun reloading, I was wondering where I can get, or how you translate, Loads to the Load bar setup for the Lee Load all. Any information would be appreciated. And once again, Thanks for your time, and I promise to try and not ask too many stupid questions. LOL.

ethmoid1999
Advanced Member

USA
3631 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2012 :  18:58:54  Show Profile Send ethmoid1999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome. I suggest a single station press of sturdy construction. There are quite a few always on ebay at reasonable prices. You need a good loading manual or manuals. If you are just buying one manual I suggest Lyman #49. Hornady, Sierra, Speer, Nosler etc are all great manuals. Anyway, good luck. Don't scrimp too much and get poorly made equipment. Get the best you can afford and it'll last more than one lifetime. For check out the used ones.
Go to Top of Page

sonnyboy

USA
357 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2012 :  17:50:37  Show Profile Send sonnyboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Nest SMcCray. For the centerfire rifles you listed I would recommend a good single stage press. I have used the Lee breech lock press, still have it as I am a reloading hoarder, but there are others better than it is. Aluminum metal is very ductile and will “stretch” some while re-sizing cases & the threaded insert in the top of the press where you screw dies will have slight movement. The latter is frustrating when you are trying to seat all of your bullets to the same length, which is important if your are loading for max accuracy. Cast iron on the other hand will hardly stretch enough that you will notice it. Redding, RCBS, & Lyman make very good presses made from cast iron that won’t cause overdrafts on your banking account. However, if you are only loading for hunting or plinking then the Lee is the less expensive way to go.
The .308Win is an extremely accurate cartridge in a rifle with a good barrel and action. If you stay here on the forum, and I hope you do, sooner or later you will get that “itch” to place three rounds into one ragged hole at 100yds. For this you will want a good press & dies.

Happy Shooting
sonnyboy

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

339 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  10:27:28  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would recommend the RCBS Rockchucker press. You can always find used ones on the bay for a lot less than what they cost new. Don't worry about buying one used as they never wear out. A press w/ this type of leverage requires very little effort for FL resizing. I form brass from other brass and the process is almost effortless. I have tried doing this w/ other single stage presses and only ended up frustrated. IMO, the RC press is the best available. Also I prefer RCBS dies. I have and use dies from Lyman, Hornady, Redding, and Lee. They all work, but I always seem to have the best results w/ RCBS.
7x57guy
Go to Top of Page

Rapier
Advanced Member

USA
599 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  12:10:53  Show Profile Send Rapier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, the Rockchucker is the press that all others are compared to, and 99.9% fall short of. The one on my bench was bought in 1967 it works like it did the day I bought it.

Come to think of it, that press has been used over the years to teach many a new reloader, from sons to neighbors to various shooters.

Welcome Scott. Oh and like a cook book, do not be afraid to pick up older reloading books, they have good info in them and usually are found at quite a discount.
Ed

Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!"

Edited by - Rapier on Jul 09 2012 12:11:46
Go to Top of Page

SMcCray
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  16:08:42  Show Profile Send SMcCray a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for.all the.info.all. I appreciate it..
Go to Top of Page

TxTickPkr
Advanced Member

USA
1492 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  02:10:27  Show Profile  Send TxTickPkr an AOL message  Send TxTickPkr a Yahoo! Message Send TxTickPkr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Scott. I'm new here but have been reloading since 1967. This is a great bunch of people and eager to share ideas.I still have my first RCBS press. Of course I've added loads of equipment since, but for precision loading I really like the big single stage. All my work up is done on the single stage. Sooner or later you will find a project that requires a strong tool and the RCBS will handle it, then hand it down to the boys. Buy a used one since rust seems to be it's only possable enemy and I've never seen one that wouldn't clean up. Welcome to a rewarding activity.
Those who relenquish liberty for security deserve and shall have neither.

Those who relinquish liberty for security deserve and shall have neither.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06