Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 22-250 Ackley/8 twist/75gr.A-Max loading
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TxTickPkr
Advanced Member

USA
1437 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  14:47:12  Show Profile  Send TxTickPkr an AOL message  Send TxTickPkr a Yahoo! Message Send TxTickPkr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Useing H4831 powder but am at max with 42.5 gr. lookinh for an alternitive to approach 3400 fps with 75 gr A-Max.

Those who relinquish liberty for security deserve and shall have neither.

budlight
Advanced Member

USA
906 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  18:55:15  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not have a 22-250 AI But I did shoot a 22-250 with a 26 inch bull barrel. I started thinking outside the box and used unknown to me powders.

Recently Hodgdon released the hybirds like h100V and superperformance.

Ramshot "Hunter" is also worth trying. Start with @ 39 grains and work up.

These powders have that magic point where just a grain or so diference in the work up jumps 200 fps on the chrono. I was working up a 243 V-max 87 grain load for my 243 and all of the sudden I was at 3600 fps. I backed them down to 3500 for case life. I'm just impressed with these new powders.
Go to Top of Page

Bad Flynch

USA
297 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  20:52:37  Show Profile Send Bad Flynch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quick Load says this is possible with Reloader 17. That load was 36 grains and completely untested, so check the loading books and work your way up.

B.F.
Go to Top of Page

Rapier
Advanced Member

USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  10:43:53  Show Profile Send Rapier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tx,
The problem I have with my 22-250 AI fast twist gun and the 75s is that near 3,400 the groups open up to 1 inch. At or right at 3,000 the groups run .30 or less. So I have found for 99% of my applications past 400 yards, the need for accuracy far outstrips the need for speed. Plus the long, slim bullet just needs to get moving to act like an arrow.

I use H-4350 to get to 3,350 fps. At 42 gr the primers are flat so work up.
Ed

PS: If you have a range finding scope with a ballistic cam, the 75 A-Max at 3,000 duplicates the 50 BMG.

Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!"

Edited by - Rapier on Jul 05 2012 10:47:49
Go to Top of Page

TxTickPkr
Advanced Member

USA
1437 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2012 :  02:48:26  Show Profile  Send TxTickPkr an AOL message  Send TxTickPkr a Yahoo! Message Send TxTickPkr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all who replied. Great information. Good to be on the site. I will check it often in hopes of lrarning or helping.

Those who relenquish liberty for security deserve and shall have neither.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

339 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  10:13:29  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My question is: Why do you have to have the bullet move so fast? Wouldn't a load somewhere between 3000 and 3400 be adequate enough? When it comes to accuracy vs. velocity, I choose accuracy every time. Whatever you are shooting at will not know the difference.
7x57guy
Go to Top of Page

TxTickPkr
Advanced Member

USA
1437 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  01:27:49  Show Profile  Send TxTickPkr an AOL message  Send TxTickPkr a Yahoo! Message Send TxTickPkr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I certainly agree with you that accuracy is the gaol over velocity, and will always choose the most accurate, low standard deviation load, but I built this gun as a dedicated long range prairy dog gun with specific range goals in mind. Pre establishing ranges on long pdogs is no guarantee that your shot will come so that it can be related to flags. Range finders just don't work on pdogs. I'm trying to extend the range of my 22-250 with fast twist and the highest bc practical. This set up allows me to stay in the scope and see impact which greatly improves my percentages. I have tried bigger guns, 243 imp, 6MM and am now tuneing a 6.5 WSM that shows great promise. It's all fun if we keep it safe. I know there isn't much difference between 3100 and 3400 but a little flatter and a little longer helps a little. I see lots of experience on here, and perhaps there is a new powder or bullet I haven't heard of. Thanks to all and somebody let the good folks in the bullet buiz know there are a lot of us throwing target bullets that wish they had matching varmint pills.

Go to Top of Page

budlight
Advanced Member

USA
906 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  15:34:11  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
South Dakota PD shooting I went through 700 rounds of 243 and 270 in three days.

If you look at the powder burn rate chart you can figure out pretty close to where you need to start with unknown powders. The new hybirds like h100V can attain higher velocity than common older powders. Read up on them. My 243 26 inch rem 700 I slowed the 100 grain spbts down to 3200 for accuracy and good ballistic charts. I shot a range master verified 3.27 inch 10 shot group at 600 yard I use a 6X-24X 60mm scope and my 270 with a 29 inch barrel I just mounted a nice 10X-40X 60mm nice mil dot scope. I chronoed my 110 grain .277 cal HP's at 3600 fps and they just tear a 5 gallon propane tank apart at 250 yards. It pops PD's way up in the air at 400

A couple of weeks ago with a friend here on the forum we were using his 223's and my 243 on PD's and jacks
Go to Top of Page

TxTickPkr
Advanced Member

USA
1437 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  03:45:15  Show Profile  Send TxTickPkr an AOL message  Send TxTickPkr a Yahoo! Message Send TxTickPkr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Budlight, I needed another trip to the pdawg fields to verify. The 75 Vmaxes in the 22-250 imp. are deadly at 700yds+ and the limit was only the towns shot and shooting position. This is a 28" Douglas air gague on a trued 700 under a 6.5x-25x 50 mm (30mmtube side focus) on 20 mil elevated rear base. Under ideal condition it should do 1K+ easily. the 6.5WSM is set up the same (both are comped) and shows promise at Much farther range. I liked my 243 improved so much it is now toast but was a real pdawg pounder. I wouldn't think of going without my 223 improved for those calm days and dumb dogs. Just bought a 7Mag with the intention of building a 338 RUM but if the twist will stabalise heavier bullets there is no reason not to shoot it out before rebuilding. I hope you and your partner have good shoots. We have been driveing from far East Tx to Kansas but the super long shots haven't been presenting on the ranches we frequent. It's a quest. Hope the money holds out for a mile shot.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06