Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 Shooting in the Rain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

refII

USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  15:39:55  Show Profile Send refII a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was at the range a week ago. Cloudy and calm. I shot several groups with my Weatherby 30-378 that were under 1/2". I had just finished putting up a new target when a sudden downfall hit the range. When I say down fall, I mean really large drops and a lot of them. I could hardly see the target at 100 yards. I'd never shot at a target in a heavy rain fall so decided to see what would happen. I fire one round. When the rain stopped there was no hole in the target, a complete miss.

Does anyone else have any experiences shooting in the rain.

yukondog

237 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  17:06:10  Show Profile Send yukondog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About 20yrs. ago I use to practice long range in rain,snow ect. the most trouble I had was heavy rain, the drops of water would distort my view through the scope.
Go to Top of Page

ethmoid1999
Advanced Member

USA
3631 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  18:41:02  Show Profile Send ethmoid1999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
:)Seldom have had that problem. Here is West Texas it's usually a dirt storm with 50-60 mph wind. Can't hit very weill in that for sure.
Go to Top of Page

BISCUT

3497 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  12:30:43  Show Profile Send BISCUT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What was the didtance? And scope used?
Go to Top of Page

eric2381
Advanced Member

Canada
2016 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  12:51:00  Show Profile Send eric2381 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't did much shooting in the rain, but I know that yesterday I was testing loads in the morning in a bit of a breeze but no rain. Found a load that shot well. Came home and made up more of the same and went back in the evening to try them a second time and to chrony them. 1st shot went 1 1/2" above the bullseye and registered as going 2909 fps. Let it cool for 10 min. as I was testing only cold bore shots. Second shot was a 1/4" down and right of the first shot and registered 2895fps. A wind picked up and a bunch of rain came down while I was letting it cool. I thought I'd try one more shot. It was 2" to the right of the first two. 2908fps.

These were 215gr .338" bullets and I don't think it woulda blown over that far in the breeze at 100yds.

Maybe the rain had something to do with it, I dunno.

I'll try again today if I can.

I've never saw a hearse with a luggage rack....
Go to Top of Page

TxTickPkr
Advanced Member

USA
1494 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  02:26:03  Show Profile  Send TxTickPkr an AOL message  Send TxTickPkr a Yahoo! Message Send TxTickPkr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember shooting a 45 match in the rain and the impact on some of those raindrops was impressive. This being short range combat pistol, accuracy with the 45 didn't seem to suffer much although there were others complaining that their shots were deflected by rain. Come to think of it there were a few shots I would like to blame on rain. At rifle velocities and longer range, I can't immagine rain not being a factor. Think about how hard water becomes when struck at speed. Brances deflect bullets, why not rain. Shurely you wouldnt have missed otherwise.

Those who relinquish liberty for security deserve and shall have neither.
Go to Top of Page

RaySendero
Advanced Member

USA
521 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2012 :  00:53:43  Show Profile Send RaySendero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TxTickPkr

..... At rifle velocities and longer range, I can't immagine rain not being a factor. Think about how hard water becomes when struck at speed. .....

Nope - It just don't occur like your thinking!

I can not detect any effect of raindrops on the trajectory of any of my rifles out to 500 yards.

Ray
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang
Advanced Member

3319 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2012 :  20:55:52  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage Send Wolfgang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RaySendero

quote:

..... At rifle velocities and longer range, I can't immagine rain not being a factor. Think about how hard water becomes when struck at speed. .....

Nope - It just don't occur like your thinking!

I can not detect any effect of raindrops on the trajectory of any of my rifles out to 500 yards.

Ray,
Maybe you just have smaller raindrops ... or you've been waxing you bullets?

Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."
Harry S. Truman
mark@fire-iron.biz

Go to Top of Page

TxTickPkr
Advanced Member

USA
1494 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  02:54:08  Show Profile  Send TxTickPkr an AOL message  Send TxTickPkr a Yahoo! Message Send TxTickPkr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Water is a fantastic deflector of bullets. I must admit I only speculate that raindrops over range would deflect bullets but would appreciate methodoligy that proves otherwise. Always willing to learn.

Go to Top of Page

45colt
Advanced Member

1389 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  07:00:37  Show Profile Send 45colt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've shot some of my smallest groups in a light rain, but never shot in a downpour.

"I'd rather die for something, then live for nothing."

Go to Top of Page

RaySendero
Advanced Member

USA
521 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  11:19:23  Show Profile Send RaySendero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Water is a fantastic deflector of bullets. I must admit I only speculate that raindrops over range would deflect bullets but would appreciate methodoligy that proves otherwise. Always willing to learn.

Water in a container will deflector of bullets - But not raindrops.

Neither my 270 or 308 will change 500 yd POI in a heavy downpour!

Just try it for yourself - I would not have believed it either till I did it.

Ray
Go to Top of Page

Sensai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  11:45:08  Show Profile Send Sensai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've shot quite a bit in the rain, and haven't noticed any difference in impact point. But this has all been hunting, I don't recall target shooting in the rain. Mostly, if it starts raining while I'm target shooting, I pack it in. Interesting thought, though. Maybe I'll "give it a shot" the next time a rain shower comes up. Bore size and bullet weight versus rain would be an interesting comparison.

Gary

Gravity, it's not just a good idea, it's the law.
Go to Top of Page

TxTickPkr
Advanced Member

USA
1494 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  01:06:23  Show Profile  Send TxTickPkr an AOL message  Send TxTickPkr a Yahoo! Message Send TxTickPkr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe you guys. Great info. We're in a record drought but very next toad strangler I'm shooting. I've got to try this and celebrate a good rain. Anyone have a good raindance. Evidently mine don't work.

Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
3665 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  07:00:35  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I believe you guys. Great info. We're in a record drought but very next toad strangler I'm shooting. I've got to try this and celebrate a good rain. Anyone have a good raindance. Evidently mine don't work.

I don't want to say that I wish for a drought here, but a few days break from this monsoon we are going through in the Adirondack rain forest of New Yorkistan would be nice! The only problems that I have had with shooting in the rain is the targets, especially the paper ones. Other than that, I have not noticed any marketable difference in POI vs POA when shooting in the rain (heavy or light).
Go to Top of Page

Sensai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  13:46:02  Show Profile Send Sensai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, Txtickpkr, you guys need to use what little water you have left to wash some cars/trucks. Always works for me, especially if you start a good wax job after you wash them. Seriously, I'm praying that that drought that's got you and a lot of other good folks in a bind breaks soon.

Gary

Gravity, it's not just a good idea, it's the law.
Go to Top of Page

TxTickPkr
Advanced Member

USA
1494 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  02:07:35  Show Profile  Send TxTickPkr an AOL message  Send TxTickPkr a Yahoo! Message Send TxTickPkr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hockeynick, so you're in NewYorkistan. Good to know there are good guys up there even if you are surounded. Very nice area, whodathunkit so close to the city but it is. Plenty of room here but why my Scot ancestors settled in this heat is Gods own mystery. Sensai, I tried washing the car, leaving my sandbags on the bench and the tractor out but all we get is Lightning and wind. Keep praying. When we get it it'll be a toadstrangler.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06