Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 Rifle Scopes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Edcnh

USA
281 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  10:19:39  Show Profile Send Edcnh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bushnell Elite 3200 or Leuopold VXII

EDC
Go to Top of Page

scottd5194
Average Member

USA
96 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2012 :  22:57:29  Show Profile Send scottd5194 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My views on scopes are changing... 3X is too much magnification for close range, 1X is great for short range but limits the top magnification on a variable... my latest purchace is a 2-8 refurbished Nikon Monarch from Natchez, it's my 3rd refurbished Nikon Monarch from them and all have been great... 1-4 nikon African $200, 3-9 Monarch $160, 2-8 Monarch $200.... for the money they are great scopes I think....
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
5479 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2012 :  00:44:13  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's like asking if you prefer hamburger, T-bone, Fillet Mignon, ribeye, chuck, sirloin...Actually I recently purchased a very good quality Cabellas Pineridge Brand 3x9x40 that had a fine reticle for my AR15 for $120.00. I am impressed with the optics of this scope for the money. Generally I've had good luck with Tasco, Bushnell, BSA, products. Bad luck with Barska, low end Chinese scopes. Excellent service with Weaver and Redfield. I can't bring myself to spend the money for Leopold and other high end products.
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
3780 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2012 :  08:07:08  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scottd5194

My views on scopes are changing... 3X is too much magnification for close range, 1X is great for short range but limits the top magnification on a variable... my latest purchace is a 2-8 refurbished Nikon Monarch from Natchez, it's my 3rd refurbished Nikon Monarch from them and all have been great... 1-4 nikon African $200, 3-9 Monarch $160, 2-8 Monarch $200.... for the money they are great scopes I think....

And... We have a winner ladies and gentlemen...... Exact reason that I use these same products and if you smash them or they piss out one you after the warranty expires (90 days), you're not out a whole lot of money and the next one you get might be a bit better. BTW, none of my refurbished Nikon's have pised out on me yet and I have owned and used them for atleast 5+ years each so far (and they have definitely paid for themselves). Otherwise, if I could afford a Swaro or Kahles, or higher end Zeiss (even a Schmidt u. Bender), you betcha. After I got spoiled with a Kahles Helia S, 3-12x56 mm scope a few years ago, I've been trying to duplicate that same view with other, less expensive scopes (not going to happen). The higher end scopes are exactly that and a bag of chips. If you have the opportunity to do so, check them out side by side in different lights and conditions. Those of you that own them, know exactly what I am talking about.
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
5479 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2012 :  10:30:01  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All scope manufactures have a lifetime warrantee that I have seen. My question is why would NIKON have to refurbish so many scopes if they weren't defective in the first place?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

339 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2012 :  13:00:29  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shastaboat

That's like asking if you prefer hamburger, T-bone, Fillet Mignon, ribeye, chuck, sirloin...Actually I recently purchased a very good quality Cabellas Pineridge Brand 3x9x40 that had a fine reticle for my AR15 for $120.00. I am impressed with the optics of this scope for the money. Generally I've had good luck with Tasco, Bushnell, BSA, products. Bad luck with Barska, low end Chinese scopes. Excellent service with Weaver and Redfield. I can't bring myself to spend the money for Leopold and other high end products.

I also like the same brands that Shasta mentions. I have gotten some real bargains off the bay on vintage Weaver and Redfields that are used, but perfectly good. Some of the mid-priced scopes are of very good quality. I mostly target shoot in perfect weather conditions, so I can't see the need of buying higher end scopes.
7x57guy
Go to Top of Page

Paul B
Advanced Member

3346 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2012 :  14:19:20  Show Profile Send Paul B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to laugh sometimes when I see where one has to have some high dollar scope made across the pond in maybe a 4x12X or higher. The three longest shots I have ever made in my hunting career were 250 yards, a Mule Deer, scope a 3x9 set at 3X, 427 paces with a 3X El Paso Weaver on a Remington 660 in .308, another Mule Deer. Scope's still on that gun and working just fine. Cow elk at 530 yards, scope set at 9X IIRC. That's it in 54 years of deer and elk hunting. When I did my antelope hunt in 2009, I took a .270 with a 3x9 Leupold as I was expecting to have to shoot way out yonder. Yonder turned out to be 75 yards and the scope was set at 3X.
One of my 7x57s is based on an FN Commercial mauser action. The scope on it is either 2.5X or 3X, it doesn't say. It's a Leupold BTW and is a very old one. I can shot sub-MOA groups with Winchester 145 gr. Powerpoint factory ammo and groups still are in the 1.5" range at 200 yards. My handloads do a little better. I don't mind having the extra power on a shot that way out there but if the rifle I'm using only has a 2.5 or 3X scope on it, I really don't worry that it might not be adequate.
Paul B.
Go to Top of Page

scottd5194
Average Member

USA
96 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2012 :  17:50:23  Show Profile Send scottd5194 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have heard that many "refurbished" scopes are held to replace defective ones and then released over time.... none of the "refurbished" scopes I have bought have ever had a ring mark on them... I have also had excellent luck with leupold scopes... I have one from the 50s and one from the 60s... not the brightest, but still solid as a rock!!
Go to Top of Page

joec

USA
44 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2012 :  10:02:57  Show Profile Send joec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just picked up a Bushnell Banner in 1.5x4.5x 33mm which is fine for my 45-70 as I never expect to take a shot much over 150 yards or in the dark either. My eye sight isn't that good even with a scope.

Joe
Go to Top of Page

Rapier
Advanced Member

USA
620 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2012 :  16:34:17  Show Profile Send Rapier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Galen,
I will offer you one piece of advise from a guy who has been in the import, wholesale and retail optics business. If you can not afford a good scope new, buy a good scope used. Do not buy a bad or mediocre new scope.
End of lesson.
Ed

Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!"
Go to Top of Page

nachogrande

491 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2012 :  16:38:48  Show Profile  Send nachogrande an AOL message Send nachogrande a Private Message  Reply with Quote
about the euro scopes, it's the clarity not the magnification people are paying big bucks for. look thru a Zeiss,Schmidt and Bender,Leica,Swarovsky then tell us the American made ones are better. I wish they were. I usualy go with leupold and their lifetime garantee. recently tried a burris fullfield 2x7, not impressed. prefer my leup 1x4 with the heavy duplex. have heard you get good bang for the buck with the elites, but never owned one.
Go to Top of Page

260james

224 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2012 :  19:36:59  Show Profile Send 260james a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SWFA has a trade in program that produces some good deals at times. Always worth checking out.
Go to Top of Page

gr8hntr
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2012 :  05:19:39  Show Profile Send gr8hntr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
nikon for under 300 bucks
4.5x14x40 buckmaster bdc ... then use nikon spot-on works gr8
i have one on my 300 win mag .... best scope 4 the money

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nikon-6452-Buckmaster-4.5-14x-by-40mm-SF-Riflescope-Matte-Finish/4404173

Go to Top of Page

scottd5194
Average Member

USA
96 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2012 :  12:14:21  Show Profile Send scottd5194 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second the advice from Rapier... better to have a good used scope than buy a new bad one... better NOT to have a scope than a bad one... It's much better to have an inexpensive gun with a good scope than a better gun with a bad scope...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06