Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 Rifle Scopes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Galen
Average Member

140 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  12:27:49  Show Profile Send Galen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know that this has been hashed before many times but times change and new products come out. And I have three questions: #1 what scope under $300 would you recommend for all around hunting. #2 the 4 to 14 vs. the 3 to 9 and #3is the 50 mm objective worth the higher mounting that is needed.

nachogrande

491 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  13:42:51  Show Profile  Send nachogrande an AOL message Send nachogrande a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the bushnell elite 3200 great bang for the buck. I've got almost entirely leupolds (want German/Swiss), wouldn't turn my nose up at burris. need some estimated hunting ranges to answer the mag question. imo most people over magnify. big mag #'s are nice from a bench but in the woods are unstable, smaller field of view,take longer to get on target,let in less light, bigger/heavier and are totaly un needed. a 1x6 app with the largest obj lens you can find should be plenty for 200 yds easy. another thing to consider is what kind of gun are you putting it on? a big 4 1/2 x 14 x 50 on a carbine or lever would look silly. small gun = small scope imo.
Go to Top of Page

hawkinsp
Average Member

USA
145 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  14:07:32  Show Profile Send hawkinsp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am quite happy with The Simmons Whitetail in 3x9x40.

MIA/POW bring em home or send us back
Go to Top of Page

lightman
Advanced Member

1134 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  14:30:51  Show Profile Send lightman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The new Redfields and Weavers are nice.For most hunting,I like a 3x9 or even less.I also like a 36-40 mm for hunting.
A case in point:I was sitting on a stand where I could see for 700 yards and expected to shoot something at about half of that distance.I had a heavy barrel 300 WSM with a 22x Nightforce.Something ran a little buck out on top of me and he was about 100 yards away before I could find him in the scope.He was not big enough to suit me and I never shot,but it was a learning experience. Lightman
Go to Top of Page

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
2223 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  14:47:54  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I base the scope power solely on the ranges I expect to hunt with the scope. There is no better reason.

You can use a ballistic program to directly look at what scope height has to do with your ballistic path relating to the bore center/scope center. Just plug any sight height in with your load at:

http://www.handloads.com/calc/index.html

Don't let someone else guess at this for you, figure it out with the free software.

A 40 mm Bushnell is brighter than any 50 mm Barska and any other brand under $300.

Gary

Gary

Fine rifles are never really owned.
Go to Top of Page

jdmorris
Advanced Member

USA
989 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  15:16:01  Show Profile Send jdmorris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess for deer hunting or other big game where there might be a bit of recoil I like using Nikons as my budget minimum but for varminting I would have no problem going a little cheaper like say a Swift. I have a Leupold VariX 2 on my .458 magnum 3x9x40 and it is as clear as any scope I have ever owned. There are other brands in the same price class as Nikon but I figure since they are into making a little bit of everything their customer service has to be pretty good. I honestly have never had a problem with one. I am also partial to Warne steel rings and mounts on all my big game rifles. JMHO.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

southdakbearfan

USA
300 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  21:55:00  Show Profile Send southdakbearfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
S1 3-9 by 40 by sightron. About $130 and very nice optics if you are looking for a 3-9.
Go to Top of Page

260james

221 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  23:18:51  Show Profile Send 260james a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My carrying rifles all have Straight 6x weavers on them. Cheap and enuff magnification for out to mid range distances on big game , say 350 yds, but good scopes. On my dedicated long range antelope gun i have a 20x SWFA antelope
Go to Top of Page

ethmoid1999
Advanced Member

USA
3614 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2012 :  09:42:54  Show Profile Send ethmoid1999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use a lot of the VX II Leupolds. Not a good as a Zeiss and some other scopes but they are clear, scope adjustments precise, and warranted for life. I never worry about a Leupold breaking down or fogging up.
Go to Top of Page

budlight
Advanced Member

USA
906 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2012 :  11:55:21  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think what it really comes down to is the crowd that likes cheap low power and small objective scopes are just looking at hitting the target. So if the deer doesn't fall down you keep shooting till it does. He might buy a box of shells and shoot 3 the day before hunting season at some basket ball sized rock 100 yards away and says to himself that it has held it's sight for the past ten years and it's ready to go again. They are the ones that wound animals and they run off and lose them. I don't even hunt with that crowd.

The second crowd finds pleasure on the bench rest and out hunting. He buys enough scope to see the holes appear on the paper at 100 or even 200 yards and likes to refine his loads to really shoot good groups. I shoot hundreds upon hundred of rounds bench rest before the season.

The majority of my scopes are 6X24 50mm, 56mm, &60mm I just bought my newest addition a 10X40 60mm mil dot. At 200 yards I can walk the bullet on the paper in the 1/8th inch clicks. I shot Mr. Pig in a classic heart lung and I could tell you even though it was dark to the human eye exactly where the shot hit.
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
5078 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  00:47:44  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just bought a new scope for my AR15. Checked Sportmans Warehouse, Scheels and ended up buying a Cabella's house brand Pine Ridge 3x9x40 with EXT reticle for $120.00. I wanted a real fine line reticle. So many scopes now have the duplex type with real wide crosshairs. This one is as fine as it gets.
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
3630 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  08:29:00  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shastaboat

I just bought a new scope for my AR15. Checked Sportmans Warehouse, Scheels and ended up buying a Cabella's house brand Pine Ridge 3x9x40 with EXT reticle for $120.00. I wanted a real fine line reticle. So many scopes now have the duplex type with real wide crosshairs. This one is as fine as it gets.

How long is the entire tube and will it interfere with the charging handle or night optics on the forend?
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
5078 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  20:10:31  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nick,
The scope is 12" long. It has a good 4" of eye relief and I mounted it as far forward as possible. My night light mounts under the barrel and does not interfere. Budlight and I just got back from a jackrabbit and squirrel shoot and my AR was busting them regularly. I also ordered a Jard 2# trigger. My current trigger is breaking at 4 lbs. The weapon really was reliable this weekend and very accurate now. I would definately recommend this scope for AR mounting. I do have an extended charging handle but the standard would work fine. I'm sure I can shoot .75 or better with my AR when I get the new trigger in. Some of those rabbits were way out there...squirrels too! Budlight needs to get an AR.
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
3630 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  21:58:39  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the heads up Shasta! I'll take a peek at them soon enough.
Go to Top of Page

TxTickPkr
Advanced Member

USA
1441 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2012 :  14:01:25  Show Profile  Send TxTickPkr an AOL message  Send TxTickPkr a Yahoo! Message Send TxTickPkr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Buy the best you care to afford. I like to see what I'm shooting at. Aim small, hit small. I like Burris Signature Z rings. They have concave steel rings with interchangeable convex plastic inserts aginst the scope. This allows proper alignment of scopes without altering the rings. You can elevate the rear for long range and even correct deviation of screw alignment with these variable inserts. On long range set ups you can center the scope adjustments and actualy adjust the inpact very close to center without useing the scopes adjustments thus saveing all your adjustment potential for field use. They never mark a scope finish so if you migrate scopes as you build your stock of toys your scopes still look new. For me, quality scopes add to the shooting experience and ease the strain of staying in the scope all day on long range varmint shoots. That said, there are some fine scopes in the econo classes. Keep in mind that the human eye is the limiting factor as so many scopes today exceed our eyes ability. If weight is a factor, even a 4X is potentialy placeing the target 4 times closer than your eyes but keep the objective large enough to prevent narrowing your field of view for fast aquisition. Get out and look through a bunch of them to see what YOU see but be shure it is fog "PROOF" and the ajustments are repeatable. Shoot the square and check the brand for reliability.

Those who relinquish liberty for security deserve and shall have neither.
Go to Top of Page

IMR4350
Advanced Member

USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  08:22:10  Show Profile Send IMR4350 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Burris Fullfield II
Weaver V series
Redfield
Bushnell
Leupold VXII

These are some trusted manufactures that produce good scopes for 300 and under with good to great warranties.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:

THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
THE HEART OF A CHILD
THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06