Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 M1A vs. AR10
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ethmoid1999
Advanced Member

USA
3646 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  11:29:09  Show Profile Send ethmoid1999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was all set on getting an M1A. Listening to you guys makes me think the AR 10 is a better platform for accuracy and more user friendly for changing or upgrading parts. Now...I don't expect to have shots over 400 yards. I would like a MOA rifle. Don't want a custom rifle with a giant price tag. Are there some AR 10's in the $900.00 to $1100.00 range that are good quality, ready to shoot after a scope is mounted? I am pretty ignorant about them. I don't know the brands and barrel options. Thanks. Mike

lightman
Advanced Member

1134 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  14:41:13  Show Profile Send lightman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not an AR fan.I know that there have been a ton of improvements done to them and the new generation are much better.But,I still like and trust my M1-A.A flat top AR will be easier to scope,and there are lots of aftermarket parts for both.Good Luck with your choice.
Go to Top of Page

Rapier
Advanced Member

USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  08:19:23  Show Profile Send Rapier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mike,
If I could find a good AR for 1,100 I would buy it over the M-14 platform all day long. Owned both, used both, the M-14 as a rifle team member and a sniper. The M-14 platform for accuracy simply can not run with an AR-10, comparing match gun to match gun. M-14 = MOA, AR = .150 the AR in a 243 or 260 with a match barrel can be a laser.

Look here:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=291227893

Of course you can buy a lower and then look for a match upper at a good price.

AR has a down side, it is heavy, it is dirty and the M-14 beats it for reliability unless kept absolutely clean.
Ed

Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!"
Go to Top of Page

ethmoid1999
Advanced Member

USA
3646 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  08:24:29  Show Profile Send ethmoid1999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rapier, thanks! Had leaned towards the M1A as I am more familiar with the shape and weight of a bolt rifle. But like you point out, most guys give the AR 10 the edge for accuracy.
Go to Top of Page

BISCUT

3497 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  12:29:16  Show Profile Send BISCUT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They both have their positives and negatives. I'm AR-10 pretty much hands down even though I like the M1A a lot. Lot of modular parts and well supported by more than 1 manufacturer. When you look at $1100 price ceiling and MOA you pretty much are stuck in AR-10 land anyway.

I would seriously consider spending a few more dollars and getitng a 18 or 20" barreled Armatite 10-T. Most of these guys are .75MOA outa the box with Fed Gold Medal. Plus you get a 2-stage comp trigger, feeefloated H-Bar SS barrel.

Foremerly, the biggest issue with AR-10 was magazine reliability. Armalite gen 2 magazines changed all that.

Go to Top of Page

ethmoid1999
Advanced Member

USA
3646 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  20:31:01  Show Profile Send ethmoid1999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guy's thanks for the info! I am researching and saving the coins! I aim to have one by fall!
Go to Top of Page

Quack Addict

USA
209 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  23:52:13  Show Profile Send Quack Addict a Private Message  Reply with Quote
$1100 AR-10
http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=182115

Edited by - Quack Addict on Jun 18 2012 23:53:47
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06