Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 I got rid of my 380 auto because of low power
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

budlight
Advanced Member

USA
916 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  14:14:11  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess the round has more power than I thought as evidenced in actuall use. Be very carefull of what you shoot at everybody.

Drunken teen killed by own ricocheted gunshot in southern Texas
Published June 13, 2012
NewsCore

MCALLEN, Texas – A drunk 17-year-old died in southern Texas after a bullet he shot at a butane tank ricocheted back and hit him in the head.

Israel Torres fired the shot with a semi-automatic handgun in the backyard of a home near McAllen, Texas, shortly before 11:30pm Monday night, The Monitor reported.

"It was just an accident under the influence of alcohol," Hidalgo County Sheriff Lupe Trevino said Tuesday.

Trevino said deputies found Torres' father and his two sons had been drinking heavily prior to the incident.

"All three are pretty drunk when someone pulls a .380-caliber, semi-automatic [handgun] and shoots it into the backyard," Trevino said. "The 17-year-old gets it and tells his girlfriend, 'Here, look, pull the trigger.'"

When the teen's girlfriend refused to handle the gun, Torres pulled out the gun's clip and turned to a butane tank, the Monitor reported.

"He fires one time and shoots himself in the head," Trevino said, adding that Torres' family was living in the U.S. illegally.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/13/drunken-teen-killed-by-own-ricocheted-gunshot-in-southern-texas/?intcmp=obinsite#ixzz1xnBXufd0

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
2260 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  16:10:44  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The story proclaims to me that there is one less illegal with a gun. I rather he had just gone home instead.

Gary

Fine rifles are never really owned.
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
5176 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  18:03:00  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If he would have gone home he would have come back. Too bad... Soooo sad.....
Go to Top of Page

Brakeman

USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  20:19:41  Show Profile Send Brakeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I'm not buying it. I cant believe such a low powered lead cored bullet could rebound with enough force to even break the skin. Probably the girlfriend blasted him? Even lead in a copper jacket deforms when hitting steel, and with it bouncing 180 degrees back so much of the force would be lost. Maybe some of you guys with an old chrono lying around could test this for us?
Go to Top of Page

Quack Addict

USA
208 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  20:49:21  Show Profile Send Quack Addict a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Onondaga

The story proclaims to me that there is one less illegal with a gun.

I believe the politically correct term is "undocumented immigrant". Being that he had a pistol though, does that make him a double-illegal?

Here's a 'gun' with a little more sack than a 380 but it shows that 180* ricochets can carry some weight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn0MFqP1js0

A ricochet won't carry the velocity of a full-on straight shot so the shock factor will be reduced but if the frag impacts the right spot a person can bleed out pretty fast...

Go to Top of Page

NHblaze

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  09:17:22  Show Profile Send NHblaze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I blame the "James Bond" movie in which he escapes
by shooting a propane tank with his PPK/S, and the tank

EXPLODES.

Ruger Blackhawk proudly
made in Newport NH
Go to Top of Page

ranger335v
Advanced Member

1633 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  14:16:32  Show Profile Send ranger335v a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"...after a bullet he shot at a butane tank ricocheted back and hit him in the head."

Run up the B.S. flag.

- Common sense is an uncommon quality -
Go to Top of Page

Brakeman

USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  18:25:01  Show Profile Send Brakeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure glad none of you guys ever shoot any metal targets because if you did you'd probably be dead or maimed from all the ricochets!
Go to Top of Page

Coyote50

USA
385 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2012 :  10:30:54  Show Profile Send Coyote50 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well fellas it is not entirely implausible, remember the video of the 50 cal round that comes back and takes off the shooter's ear muffs? Could be similar. I know the 50 was probably steel core but the 380 was a lot closer and a metal container under pressure would act like a spring. Add to that the pact that it may only have been a bullet fragment that hit him in the head. Either way I won't be trying it any time soon. I saw some crazy crap happen with bullets when I was younger and dumber.

A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on its user-Theodore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Paul B
Advanced Member

3282 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2012 :  15:41:22  Show Profile Send Paul B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a friend who is an appeals attornry for the state he lives in. He gets to see photos of gunshot wounds and autopsy photos and the gist of the whole thing is if the bullet penetrates to a vital spot the victim dies. Apparently .380 ACP FMJ penetrae like mad according to what he told me. His CCW piece is a very small 9MM with Federal hydroshoks. I forget which model. My sometimes piece is a Walther PPK/s in .380 ACP with Hydroshoks. More sften though it's an S&W M60 with 125 gr. Federal Plus P ammo.
Paul B.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06