Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 Packable Spotting Scope
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

newguy220

USA
424 Posts

Posted - May 20 2012 :  02:43:53  Show Profile Send newguy220 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone,
I was wondering your opinions on a spotting scope that you would pack in your backpack all day hunting. I'm looking into them at the moment and was wondering what everyone's experiences were.

Thanks,
newguy220

nachogrande

491 Posts

Posted - May 20 2012 :  08:21:55  Show Profile  Send nachogrande an AOL message Send nachogrande a Private Message  Reply with Quote
for target shooting I could use one but for hunting here in the east I don't think it's really needed, good binocs work fine. for out west for elk,sheep and such it's almost a must have but good binocs still come first. when flush in the early 90's I bought zeiss rubber armored 10x40's and leica compacts and have never regretted scrimping and saving for them. 20 years later I still say wow every time I look thru them. with the zeiss 10x40's with the right atmosphere (like out west) I can see what color bikini a girl has on at 3 miles, or how long a turkeys beard is at severall hundred yards. worth every penny, and the price on them has dropped from 1,000$ to 750$ since discontinued if you can still find them. still don't own a spotting scope YET and always buy another gun or scope when I swear the next big purchase will be a spotting scope. guess you will get what you pay for. an angled eyepiece for sure.
Go to Top of Page

ten2six
Advanced Member

USA
3569 Posts

Posted - May 20 2012 :  12:24:22  Show Profile Send ten2six a Private Message  Reply with Quote
newguy,

My recommendation would depend on the nature of the hunt and conditions. If it's the trip of a lifetime...or a big ticket tag...high mountains or wild open prairie...something nice would be in order. nacho is right about good binocs, too. Quality glass binocs can do almost everything a cheaper spotting scope can, especially since you'll enjoy using them.

For more routine work....shop, compare, and watch the various auction sites for used stuff that will handle the abuse of the trail. One interesting new option might be the Barska 11-33x50 Tactical...here's a link with more info....

http://www.opticsplanet.net/barska-11-33x50-wp-tactical-spotting-scope-w-reticle-tripod.html

I bought an armoured Steiner spotting scope on fleabay eight or nine years ago. It's great at the range and in the field, but it's been discontinued for more than a decade. Leica had an armoured scope, but I think they discontinued that recently. I only spent $250 on the Steiner and I'm not sure I'd want to take anything worth more than that out in the brush....

Good luck with the search....

"Chances are, when we meet intelligent life forms in outer space, they're going to be descended from predators."
- Michio Kaku
Go to Top of Page

newguy220

USA
424 Posts

Posted - May 20 2012 :  22:35:07  Show Profile Send newguy220 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I need to give some more details. I drew a bighorn sheep tag, so I'm looking for recomendations on what you would carry on your back all day, if it was you. I know good bino's go a long way, but they may not cut it when trying to determine the biggest ram. I'm looking to see what everyone's experince is with the more compact spotters, that you would use on a hunt like this.

Ten, thanks for the suggestion, but my dad had a pair of Barska bino's and honestly they sucked. I think I'll need to spend some money on one for sure.

newguy220
Go to Top of Page

nachogrande

491 Posts

Posted - May 20 2012 :  23:45:46  Show Profile  Send nachogrande an AOL message Send nachogrande a Private Message  Reply with Quote
for sheep definately good optics. I'd go as much as I can afford +25-50% more, "give til it hurts" your pocketbook will get over it eventually and while hunting you will be glad you spent more. take extra care with it. contact guides or outfitters for suggestions.
Go to Top of Page

DocHolladay
Advanced Member

USA
1299 Posts

Posted - May 20 2012 :  23:51:16  Show Profile Send DocHolladay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks at some of the compact Leupolds, like the 12-40x60's. There are others, but those are the ones that come to mind.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-12-40x60-Golden-Ring-Spotter-P5902.aspx

Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shooting stuff!
Go to Top of Page

newguy220

USA
424 Posts

Posted - May 21 2012 :  21:08:10  Show Profile Send newguy220 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far my biggest problem is finding the compact ones to look though.

I've been browsing the net and ran across this one: http://www.burrisoptics.com/xts2575spot.html Has anyone ever seen one or looked though one, to know if they are any good?

Thanks for the replys,
newguy220
Go to Top of Page

DocHolladay
Advanced Member

USA
1299 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  00:31:16  Show Profile Send DocHolladay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go to Opticsplanet.net or SWFA.com or Cameralandny.com and look for reviews. That burris isnt that great from what I read. I am sure that you will be sitting behind it for hours on end, I wouldnt skimp on your optics. If you would only e using it for 30 minutes or so, it might be ok, but I think I would spend a little more than what that optic cost for a once in a lifetime hunt. You can always use it on the range once the hunt is over.

Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shooting stuff!
Go to Top of Page

nachogrande

491 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  06:54:56  Show Profile  Send nachogrande an AOL message Send nachogrande a Private Message  Reply with Quote
is it a guided hunt or diy? on horseback? high altitude I assume, how high, over 10,000', all factors to take into account. if guided they will probably have a spotting scope and you may not have to buy one. have you ever been at altitude? in good shape if not better get started.I did some high alt elk hunting in my early 20's,was very acclimated and in the best shape of my life and it whupped my azz, climbing uphill in waist deep snow, gasping for air. every ounce will count and can't start too soon with the cardio. if going real high, try and give yourself at least 3 days at alt to acclimate. alt sickness is no picnic.
Go to Top of Page

ten2six
Advanced Member

USA
3569 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  10:44:30  Show Profile Send ten2six a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by newguy220

So far my biggest problem is finding the compact ones to look though.

I've been browsing the net and ran across this one: http://www.burrisoptics.com/xts2575spot.html Has anyone ever seen one or looked though one, to know if they are any good?

Thanks for the replys,
newguy220

I haven't looked through the Burris scope, but I do have some experience with "Cassegrain" reflectors. JMHO, but I doubt you're going to have the light transmission that you need to reach out past 1000 yards with the XTS. I had a Russian scope that was built on the same technology and no other way to put it than it sucked. In a Cassegrain system you're reflecting light twice and using optics to focus that. It works fine for 10" or greater diameter celestial telescopes, but too much light and resolution is lost in a small spotting scope.

When you first posted I mentioned... "If it's the trip of a lifetime...or a big ticket tag...high mountains or wild open prairie...something nice would be in order." If you have friends with different makes and models of scopes I'd recommend trying them out in the field. Get a life size target of a deer, set it out at known distance in a thicket, then see how various models work at long range. For a trip like you're taking, make sure the glass works for you, not against you.

Keep us in the loop....good hunting...

"Chances are, when we meet intelligent life forms in outer space, they're going to be descended from predators."
- Michio Kaku

Edited by - ten2six on May 22 2012 12:10:50
Go to Top of Page

newguy220

USA
424 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  02:10:26  Show Profile Send newguy220 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nachogrande

is it a guided hunt or diy? on horseback? high altitude I assume, how high, over 10,000', all factors to take into account. if guided they will probably have a spotting scope and you may not have to buy one. have you ever been at altitude? in good shape if not better get started.I did some high alt elk hunting in my early 20's,was very acclimated and in the best shape of my life and it whupped my azz, climbing uphill in waist deep snow, gasping for air. every ounce will count and can't start too soon with the cardio. if going real high, try and give yourself at least 3 days at alt to acclimate. alt sickness is no picnic.

Right now it is DIY hunt, as for horses I don't know if we are going to use them yet. We have to get to the area once the snow melts and determine if they are going to be worth the hassle. From Google Earth the highest peak I can find in the hunt area is only 9500'. I'm not to worried about altitude, I've never had trouble with it before, usually hunt from 5000-7500', in similiar terrian as this sheep tag. Thanks for the concerns nacho.

newguy220
Go to Top of Page

newguy220

USA
424 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  02:17:08  Show Profile Send newguy220 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ten,

Thanks for the heads up. I had a feeling it would be that way after finding the price for them on the places that Doc mentioned (Thanks Doc).
My dad has a Redfield Rampage and I know it won't do what I want. The only other two guys I know with spotters have a Leupold and a Vortex, both good glass, but way to heavy to pack on my back. I'm trying to get the best glass I can, that is why I'm asking everyone I can think of about it. The 'nest was one of my first stops . I like the idea with the deer in the brush, so if I ever get the chance to look though some different ones.

Thanks,
newguy220
Go to Top of Page

nachogrande

491 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  09:57:21  Show Profile  Send nachogrande an AOL message Send nachogrande a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just out of curiosity what rifle,caliber and bullet do you plan on using? I regretfully sold my browning A-bolt 270 wsm with 23" bbl which was my if I ever get out west again gun. but here in FL my lil 7mm08 and shotgun can handle all my needs fine.
Go to Top of Page

Dom

Germany
2025 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  15:03:02  Show Profile Send Dom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spotting Scopes, they are a dirty word! Be nice if we could buy 10 of the best ones made, play with them for a couple months, then keep the one we like best and throw the other 9 away

Just don't work that way. Over the years I've had a few, the early ones long since disappeared. My latest kick has been with Minox, though I have never owned any of the top Spotters like Swaro, Zeiss, Leica. Minox makes good glass. If I had to go today I'd take the MD 62 with the LER 21-42 eyepiece, a little larger and heavier but I'd take it anyway. I also have the compact Minox MD 50 and used it in NM last year and it was out of it's league in those distances. I used mostly Leica 10x42 Binos with the built in rangefinder, they are GREAT for hunting, but are not a spotter for great distances.

Keep up on your research. Tough to say how a spotter is going to work out in the mountains if you can only look through them in a store or parking lot environment. I seriously believe this new Minox MD 88 will give the top Swaro's a run for the money, due out soon. I may even pick one up when they come out! Looks like they will go for around $1600, I would not spend that kind of dough if I did not believe in them. Maybe I can get one cheaper here since they are made here. Good luck and keep us informed on what you end up with, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

MINOX MD 88 W APO http://www.minox.com/index.php?id=6207&L=2
Go to Top of Page

newguy220

USA
424 Posts

Posted - May 26 2012 :  15:02:33  Show Profile Send newguy220 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nachogrande

just out of curiosity what rifle,caliber and bullet do you plan on using? I regretfully sold my browning A-bolt 270 wsm with 23" bbl which was my if I ever get out west again gun. but here in FL my lil 7mm08 and shotgun can handle all my needs fine.

My plan is right now to use my Remington SPS 300RUM with a 200gr AccuBond.

newguy220
Go to Top of Page

nachogrande

491 Posts

Posted - May 26 2012 :  19:53:02  Show Profile  Send nachogrande an AOL message Send nachogrande a Private Message  Reply with Quote
that will certainly be enough gun.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06